Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Nada values on older units

What I am seeing is prices not nearly reflecting the nada value on units. I saw a jayco listed for $3000 but the nada has the value around $990. Seriously? Does the nada value go out the door when dealing with older campers? I would tend to think not but this is the first time buying a camper.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
daydreaming about camping

My experience is that whatever you are looking at NADA value is nothing more than a guide. It becomes less accurate the older something is. No one takes care of their stuff the same way as others.

I would look for comparable units to give you an idea of the fair market value. Then when you insure it, make sure you are insuring for fair market value and not book value.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #3

So $3,000 may not be out of line of it is in really good shape and well taken care of?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #4

It might not be. It might be way to high. This is an art, not a science. The ultimate value is what it is worth to you.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #5

So, a 1995 popup that at most would be 3,000 hopefully he will come down to 2500, is it even worth insuring? Would the insurance be more than the rig is worth? Does my auto policy automatically cover me if I am in an accident towing it?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBiker View Post
So, a 1995 popup that at most would be 3,000 hopefully he will come down to 2500, is it even worth insuring? Would the insurance be more than the rig is worth? Does my auto policy automatically cover me if I am in an accident towing it?
IMHO - a 95 popup is only worth what you are willing to pay. I know that years ago I found a lot of really nice units that were in the 5 year old range for 5-7K for high wall with all options. 5 year basic pups were around 3500. This time of year they may be getting a premium though.

I would suggest you look at cost of insurance vs. replacement. I once insured a cargo trailer because it was less than 100 bucks a year, and the trailer was worth around 3500 bucks. I was more concerned with theft.

That depends totally on your policy. Some insurance policies will cover damage to a trailer under comprehensive, but many do not. Your state may regulate that as well and you would need to do some specific research.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #7

It is only about $100 per year and I hadn't thought about theft. So, I guess it would be worth insuring it then.