Old 10-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

Thanks

Ok, here is what happened. I tried calling RV service departments, but, they said I would have to leave the camper and there goes our trip. I read all your suggestions and especially the thread with instructions. Then I called Goshen Stamping who makes the lift system. Claudia answered and I asked if there was someone there who could help me. She said "Well let's start with me." . So I explained the stupid thing I did and she proceeded to tell me exactly how to take out the spring and see if it was kinked or broken and what else to look for. So I crawled under the camper and immediately saw that the bracket (as was suggested here) was ripped off and the casing was only held in place by a cross bracket. I called Claudia back and she told me I either had to get someone to weld the bracket or buy the casing and spring system which comes as a unit. I don't know any welders so I ordered the parts. But they would take a week so again there goes our trip. Then I thought I would see if maybe I could find a welder. I called around but this is a very small job and the ones who would do it at all were busy and way across town. So I asked the guy in the office where I park my camper if he knew any welders. He said body shops usually have welders and there was a small one across the street. So I walked across the street and the manager said he was also a camper and thought they could weld it. I took pictures of the other bracket and they did a great job and didn't even want any money (I gave them some anyway). I put it all back together and it works perfect! I thanked the body shop manager, the guy in the office, Claudia at Goshen Stamping, and now you in the forum.

I learned several things in the process:

1) When you start to do something finish it. Don't unhook 3 latches and stop to do something else because you will forget the last latch and the 30 seconds you saved will cost you an entire day and almost a camping trip.

2) Ask people for help because there are a lot of people with knowledge who are very nice and will give their time to help you.

3) Never assume the nice lady who answers the phone is just a receptionist because she may just be the smartest most knowledgeable person in the company.

4) Try to fix something yourself because you just might do it and learn something in the process.

So thanks again for all the help and if you need to fix your Goshen lift system talk to Claudia.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #12
Head Rambler

Thanks for coming back and letting us know that you got it fixed and how you went about it.

I'm glad it was just a bracket and you didn't have to replace the spring, and that you found someone local to repair it for you.

Can you post a picture or two of the good and broken brackets?

Old 10-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #13

This is the good bracket, casing and spring with the broken casing removed that I took for the welder. I will take a picture of the fixed one tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476394782.014694.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	122890
Old 10-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #14
Newly Retired

I had a pop up years ago and had some 2x2 sticks cut that held up a low corner, in a pinch. One person lifts by hand and another places the stick.
That trick might buy you some time so you can go camping this weekend.
Good luck
Old 10-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #15

If you check the instructions from Goshen you can see that you can adjust the cables that push up the springs. It only takes a couple turns on the nut to adjust. You only stretched a spring when you cranked it up against the single spring. Easy fix. Read the directions again .
Old 10-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #16

Glad you got it fixed. Bet you won't forget to check latches again.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #17

Congrats on your persistence !!

Tags
lift, roo, roof