Old 10-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

Need help with used pop-up

Hi All, new to pop-ups. Have had trailers of various sizes in past and currently have a 2015 Arctic Fox, all hard sided, so I've got trailer experience but never a pop-up. This will be in addition to the Arctic Fox and just for solo use for myself. I'm looking at a 2002 Flagstaff 206 ltd. Asking price is $3950 OBO. Haven't seen the inside yet but if it is as good as the outside I'm sure it'll be fine. Have an appt to meet the owner tomorrow and am interested in what I should be looking for and if the asking price is in the ball park? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #2

Soft floors are a real big problem. Just the nature of the beast water simply gets in rotting floors out pretty fast. Other than that and canvas everything else is the same as any other used RV.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #3

Make sure you watch the lifting and lowering the roof, if the roof is lifted when you arrive check everything and ask owner to close the roof and raise it again. Check canvas for holes or tears. All appliances work as they should, sliders on the beds, check lower walls and floors for water damage.

If all is well and you like it go for it.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #4

I'll do that. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

When it's up part way, reach under the roof at each end between the roof and the canvas. Be sure you don't feel any wrinkles in the wood panel or any soft wood. This area is often overlooked but water gets blown in during a driving rain and gets put away wet.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #6

pop-up owner

We have a pop-up and it has served us well. My advice would be to ask to have water hooked up and run water through the lines. Turn the tap on and let it drain. While this is happening check the lines including the drain line to make sure there are no cracks or leaks. Only problems we have had with our unit, though it is a lot newer is with lines cracking or coming loose over time.

Let us know how the walk through goes.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

I'd want to have the water piping energized to make sure the unit has been properly winterized in the past. Obviously I don't know the history of the unit, but if it hasn't been used lately, I'd check for leaks in the plumbing.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #8

I did the walk through and it seems to be in pretty good shape. Flooring is solid. No water damage. He's asking $3950 but NADA guide has the avg retail value at $2200. He said he'd have to have $3500 for it or he'll keep it. I sort of know the guy. He's a fellow businessman in the area. My question is, are they really selling for that much? Is the NADA guide way off?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #9

I think he is over priced, given this is the end of the season, especially for tent trailers. Check craigslist for a reasionable price guide.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #10

Not sure about a unit that old, but I just went thru pricing after my 2014 206ltd was totaled by a falling tree. The insurance company research set the replacement value at between $5,900 and $6,300. I was able to confirm that on line by googling the model & year. A new unit listed at $8,900. I would suggest trying the same research. My reaction is that $3,500 seems a little high for a 14 year old skin, but you could be the best judge of that by actually feeling it to see how pliable the various tent elements are.