Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #1

Need tips for folding in

We are brand new to the pop-up camper world, having been tent campers for years. We recently purchased a 2016 Flagstaff HW27SC. When we brought it home (after having the dealer go through the setup and take down with us), we set it up and it was just a comedy of errors. I won't go into them all here, but several things happened (such as the handle ripped through the wood on one of the bunks when we tried to pull it out, the battery was dead, the canvas wasn't secured in as it was supposed to be so our cushions got wet through the thing was closed up ... etc.)

None of those were our errors, but it sure was discouraging! The dealer is taking care of things like fixing the bunk, the battery, etc.

However, my question is, are there any tips for folding in the canvas? Do you fold one part before another part? As we were trying to take it down, we just couldn't figure a way to get the canvas in neatly. I felt like we were just wadding it in, and it didn't feel right. There's got to be a better way, doesn't there?
krbrown2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #2

There is a method to the madness.

On the bunk ends I flip the side flaps over the top of the canvas to get it in towards the center. The sides of camper you just need to try to fold it in half. This means pushing the center of the canvas in as far to the center of the pop up as you can.

I lower the top a bit more and then go around and try to push it in deeper while keeping in mind that I want to fold the fabric and not stuff it in all bunched up.

It is a bit hard to explain here with typed words. I think you just need to feel how the fabric wants to naturally fold and go with that.

Good luck.

Vin.

P.S. Just a quick note that this forum has a dedicated pop up section. If you pose there, you may get a better response. Happy camping. You have a great pop up!

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Site Team

There are tons of online videos demonstrating how.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

Go to the website for Roberts Sales. Tons of tips and faq's there.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #5

Welcome krbrown2000

I do mainly the same thing vinmaker said but after I slide the bunks in I push the slide out canvas in. Then lower the roof about 1 ft and start pushing the side canvas in starting with the bath vent (slide side rear) then I lower the roof about 1/2 down and walk around pushing it all in. Vent corner is sometimes hard. Then lower again to about 3" from closed and make sure all canvas is tucked it. Btw you'll find what ever way is best for you. Just remember unless it's raining ur not in a hurry because most of the time it just means vacation is over and work is coming!! So just have fun. Drive practice I'd best.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #6

Welcome from St Petersburg, FL...
I used a plastic broom at times to gently push in further than my arms could reach. I also tried to make sure the vinyl cuffs around the beds was covering the edges. Be sure to unlatch the elastic hooks below each bed first.
Doing it alone, I made many trips around the camper in stages as I lowered it. Mostly try to avoid bunching in the corners, easing everything as much toward to inner part of the camper as possible. Once that is done and roof latched, walk again to be sure supports are raised up, roof vent is closed tight, all hose ports are closed and all is ready to hitch.
You will get better as time goes on, promise!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:53 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone for the info! I think we were on the right track, but were frustrated because of some other issues. I'm hoping that once we get the camper back from being repaired, with the bugs worked out of it and out of us, we'll all have a great time.

We did view several online videos, by the way, but all the ones we could fine show you how to set it up, not take it down. They just kind of assume you can do the process backwards, which we can, except folding the canvas in kind of flummoxed us.
krbrown2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #8

We find it helps to make sure the bed ends are folded mostly straight in at both side edges, and push/fold the side canvas under/over it. Seems to keep the corners from bunching up which makes the corner locks work easier. With the roof about 12 in off the beds I slide in and pull the end vinyl in, instead of the push with broom method. I straighten/flatten out the curtains also.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:10 AM   #9

I have two friends who are both vertically challenged and up in years who have a pop up camper. He had made a 'stuffer pole' out of PVC pipe capped on both ends that he used to push the canvas farther in. He seemed to have a pretty good system.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #10

When we had our Rockwood popup, I researched the proper way to fold it up, and then wrote out a checklist. I went by that checklist when opening it up and closing it to make sure all the steps were in order. That way I wouldn't rip the canvas or break anything else. Worked like a charm. That would be my suggestion. It's amazing how quickly you forget the proper order.

I printed off the checklists and kept them in little plastic sheet protectors in the glove box.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #11

I slide my curtains to the middle b4 I do anything. It don't do much but any little helps.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
I slide my curtains to the middle b4 I do anything. It don't do much but any little helps.
lol. I do the same thing! Too funny.

I X2 on the pulling the slide canvas out prior to pushing in the bunk ends and then folding it in.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #13

Laminated Checklist

We just purchased our 2015 1940LTD last summer, so we are new to pop-ups as well. To be safe, I scoured the web for a decent list of steps. I modified them slightly to fit our situation and to fit on two sheets of paper (front/back). I then printed it and laminated it.

That saved us much frustration and possible damage because I tend to still forget things.

And in our first solo set up, we had to do it in the rain. That was challenging but the laminated sheet allowed us to carry it around with us.

Mark
cyberalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #14

2x the canvas for slide. If you don't the bunk end could rip the slide canvas.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #15

@ cyberAlexander that's a great idea. Even growing up in a pup and now having my own I still forget thinks. The most common thing forgot is the AC plug. (Well for me)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #16

A broom goes a long way to softly push in the canvas as you lower the top. Fold like a present, with the corners neatly tucked. Lower roof, use soft broom to push toward middle of camper. Lower more, soft broom/push more.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #17

Roberts sales, where I purchased mine; had a great pre-printed open/close instruction sheet along with some other useful hints. It was two-sided and laminated. The gave them out to their rental units, and also included one in each sold unit.

I refer to it the first trip every year, but after the first trip; even this old dog remembers what to do.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #18
Site Team

for our two popups, it was a slow methodical process of putting the bed slides in and pushing the bed canvas in.
then lowering the roof a little at a time, began to push the side canvas and windows in as the roof dropped.
we would check everything as it lowered, making sure none of it would get trapped under the roof edges.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbrown2000 View Post
We are brand new to the pop-up camper world, having been tent campers for years. We recently purchased a 2016 Flagstaff HW27SC. When we brought it home (after having the dealer go through the setup and take down with us), we set it up and it was just a comedy of errors. I won't go into them all here, but several things happened (such as the handle ripped through the wood on one of the bunks when we tried to pull it out, the battery was dead, the canvas wasn't secured in as it was supposed to be so our cushions got wet through the thing was closed up ... etc.)

None of those were our errors, but it sure was discouraging! The dealer is taking care of things like fixing the bunk, the battery, etc.

However, my question is, are there any tips for folding in the canvas? Do you fold one part before another part? As we were trying to take it down, we just couldn't figure a way to get the canvas in neatly. I felt like we were just wadding it in, and it didn't feel right. There's got to be a better way, doesn't there?
We had one before going to RV on ours I would slide beds in then I would lower about a foot start pushing the canvas back on top of bunks. Keep repeating this making sure the canvas is kept inside away from seal. A slow process helps having two people. As for battery we would charge it at home and I got what they call a float charger at camp ground I would hook it up or I would take a portable trickle charger to keep battery up. If the battery does go dead a cordless drill with socket and extension will run the top down.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #20

One thing I will warn all you with a power winch is, be careful!
I pretty much push everything in then lower the roof until there is about a foot left, then I push in all around, lower it to about four inches and push all in again then lower and lock.
My first trip with the trailer, I had pushed all in, removed the two safety supports, lowered the roof by about an inch or two, the was just about to push in all around again, when the gear shattered on the power winch and the roof slammed down to about two inches from closing completely. Only the bulk of the material still hanging out kept it from slamming shut totally.
Surprisingly, none of the material was cut...

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote