Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

New 2013 1950 popup - problem with tongue jack

Two uses into a brand new 2013 model 1950 Rockwood (love the camper, by the way) the tongue jack stopped working. What's happening? Here's what I can tell:

The tongue jack is an a-frame connector with a crank (horizontal) at the top. There are two vertical zinc-coated steel, hollow tubes. The 'thinner' tube is inside of the thicker one. As the crank is turned, the inner tube goes up or down depending on direction turned. Simple enough.

Now, when I turn it, nothing happens - doesn't go up or down. Something's clearly 'slipping' inside. I removed the tongue jack easily and looked inside it and I can't see anything to do.

New tongue jacks are cheap - like 30-40$ on Amazon. Searched around, found some that looked good - found one at a local Lowes. Went there, bought it, here's the deal:

The a-frame bolts would fit perfectly - they are in the right location. The problem is that the INNER tube diameter on the new one is the same diameter as the OUTER tube diameter on the old one. So, it's a bit wider. The problem is that the rings I have to pass these tubes through reduces in diameter and, as such, the new one doesn't fit.

I can't find ANYTHING about diameter of these darned products!

Note this is the product I bought (from Lowes) but here's the Amazon link. Notice this review this guy's talking about using a blowtorch to cut the opening!

Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 74407 A-Frame Jack: Automotive

Quote:
I bought this jack to replace one that had failed on a small camping trailer. If you are purchasing a jack for an older trailer you should know that the newer jacks are slightly larger in diameter and I've found in several cases that the jacks will easily slide through the top mounting hole but not the lower hole. I've replaced jacks on two older camping trailers and in both cases ended up having to cut the lower hole to a larger size (with a torch) in order to make the jack fit.

We are going camping in 5 days. I'd rather come up with a solution other than "call Rockwood and get it replaced under warranty". We're talking about a product that only costs a few bucks. I've spent more than that (several tens of times over) in my time already screwing with this.

Can anyone educate me and offer some ideas?

I really don't want to cancel our trip this coming weekend!

I could overnight something from Amazon easily if I knew what to get - without diameter information I don't see how I have enough information to make a purchase.

Thanks in advance.
swtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #2

I actually ordered a 2012 1950 back in 2011. The dealer never could get it delivered and finally ended up cutting me a really good deal on a 2280BH instead. Anyway...I overextended my jack and had to replace it, so I know what you're talking about. I put an electric on instead, but the principal is the same. Measure the inner tube diameter (OD) of the stock jack - or the opening of the smaller hole. Go to etrailer.com instead of Amazon and look up aframe jacks. They will list the inner tube diameters under specs.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #3

Thanks for that web site - they do indeed have the diameters.

The bad news is that I looked at every single A-frame and all of them have an outer diameter of 2.25". The thing is, my smaller hole on the Rockwood 1950 is 2". The outer tube has to slide through that smaller hole too as the distance between the mounting bracket and the hole is relatively short (just a couple of inches) - meaning, it's before the jack transitions to the thinner, inner tube.

The stock tube on the 1950, the broken one that I took off, has an OUTER tube width of 2" and an inner tube width of ~1.75". Which is completely unlike any of the jacks on that site.

Starting to wonder if I should try and open up the hole with a dremel.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #4

Another thing you want to watch for... measure the distance on the stock jack from the bottom of the mounting flange down to the end of the inner tube. I've seen replacement jacks with retracted heights anywhere from 5.25" to 8"+. You might be able to get away with something with a 2" inner and a retracted height of around 5.25-5.5" (1 - 2 inches of that is inner tube sticking out ) and, if it's still .5" or so off, you could just get some longer bolts and stack a few washers to raise the height a little.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Another thing you want to watch for... measure the distance on the stock jack from the bottom of the mounting flange down to the end of the inner tube. I've seen replacement jacks with retracted heights anywhere from 5.25" to 8"+. You might be able to get away with something with a 2" inner and a retracted height of around 5.25-5.5" (1 - 2 inches of that is inner tube sticking out ) and, if it's still .5" or so off, you could just get some longer bolts and stack a few washers to raise the height a little.
I don't understand what you're suggesting here - can you help me understand it a bit more?

The vertical distance from the top of my trailer tongue through to the bottom of it is no more than 2-3". That means the bolting mechanism needs to rest upon that top and that while THAT opening is 2.25" the one right below it is only 2". Think of it looking down as I'm looking through a circle that has a smaller circle inside of it. I think what you're suggesting is that perhaps the retracted height of some of these jacks might be short and the outer tube would not extend very far downward until it ended and was replaced by the smaller, inner tube.

If that were < 3" from the a-frame bolting plate to that smaller plate, then yeah, that would work. I can't find a single jack that is even close to that on etrailer though so I think that's not going to happen.

What kind of stock jack is this? Some sort of really nonstandard one?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtigers View Post
Thanks for that web site - they do indeed have the diameters.

The bad news is that I looked at every single A-frame and all of them have an outer diameter of 2.25". The thing is, my smaller hole on the Rockwood 1950 is 2". The outer tube has to slide through that smaller hole too as the distance between the mounting bracket and the hole is relatively short (just a couple of inches) - meaning, it's before the jack transitions to the thinner, inner tube.

The stock tube on the 1950, the broken one that I took off, has an OUTER tube width of 2" and an inner tube width of ~1.75". Which is completely unlike any of the jacks on that site.

Starting to wonder if I should try and open up the hole with a dremel.
Call etrailer and talk to them about your needs.. They are very nice to deal with and very helpful. It would seem to me of they don't have the answer, then get out your Dremel tool... LOL

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #7

No, that's about normal for the jacks. What I was trying to say was that, if a jack retracted height is listed as 5.25", about 2" or so is usually the inner tube. So, from the jack mounting plate down about 3" or so is outer tube and about 2" or so is inner tube. It'll vary a little between manufacturers but not much.

It sounds like the jack you picked up has a taller retracted height than the original.

What you need to do is measure the original jack from the bottom of it's mounting plate to the bottom of the inner tube (total amount sticking down below the plate). Match that up with the retracted height on a new jack.

If, for some strange reason, the outer tube still hits that bottom hole and it's only by a little bit, you can just use a few washers on top of the A frame as spacers and a little bit longer bolt when you attach it and raise the whole jack up a little.

***EDIT***
Now that I think about it...I can't remember if my outer went through the bottom or not. I'm at work, or I'd go look. Seeing as how you would only need to take off 1/8" all the way around to widen the hole, it MIGHT be just as easy to go that way.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Call etrailer and talk to them about your needs.. They are very nice to deal with and very helpful.
I've ordered from them about a dozen times over the last two years. Selection is good, prices are just about as good as anywhere else. What sells me on them is the customer service. Shipping is quick, order status is prompt and often, video reviews on most products, and you don't see too many places that will answer a question with "hang on and I'll go run out to the warehouse, open one, and measure it for you".
Old 07-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #9

Nod, so I need about 4" of washers which is pretty clearly untenable.

I was digging around on Atwood's site and this pretty much looks like the stock jack that came with my 1950:
A-Frame Jacks - Atwood Mobile

I went through their spec sheet and, stupidly again, I see nothing about diameter of their products.

On page 16 of this PDF: http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/n_chassis.pdf it lists their jacks. But, again, no diameter.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtigers View Post
Nod, so I need about 4" of washers which is pretty clearly untenable.
Lol...yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of 1/4" at the most. I'm guessing that's about how much your new jack is short of fitting right now? I'm thinking your only options at this point are to either order a shorter jack (I think that SHOULD bolt right in, but might require just a little shimming if it doesn't) or try to grind out the hole a little and use what you have.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #11

Called etrailer - they confirmed that they sell no jacks that would fit me and suggested that Rockwood has a nonstandard jack size so that you have to order from Rockwood your replacements. They also confirmed that many people cut their trailer to fit the industry standard jack that are 2.25".

Then I called Rockwood who happily, and in a matter of minutes, sent me a replacement part (since my popup is only 2 months old).

So, problem solved but I still think in the future I'm going to want to cut the metal and open up the opening.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
Incheon, S. Korea

Another great example of customer service. Fantastic.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, pop up