Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #1

New hi wall

We bought our camper new in 2009. Ever sins owning it the lift motor for the roof never work. The roof will stop 3 to 4 times until the breaker resets. Their is a ac unit on top. The unit is still under warranty but the dealer has made repairs 6 times with no improvements. Any suggestions
Smith camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Geez, is there another dealer around?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #3

Yeah, I would look for another dealer or maybe get in touch with the manufacturer of the AC unit and the electric lift motor. They might can tell you of a different authorized repair shop near you. Direct contact with FR may help as well.

ROCKWOOD TENT CAMPERS / FLAGSTAFF TENT CAMPERS / HIGH WALL CAMPERS
Cindy Dahm / Main phone number (574) 642-2640, Ext. 118
E-mail: cdahm@forestriverinc.com
Fax number: (574) 642-4999

Hope this info helps.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #4

We have the same problem on our 2009 flagstaff 228d - breaker resets & lift motor works another 30 seconds (really slowly), then trips the breaker again. Replaced the battery, but that didn't help. No local dealer, and the selling dealer isn't interested.
Finally resorted to traveling with a heavy duty drill to do the lifting; its slow but does the job.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #5

It sounds like they simply didn't put a big enough lift motor on it, thus it is overloaded, heats up, and flips the breaker.
You could try putting a bigger breaker in, as I wouldn't think the motor would melt in the time it takes to lift the roof. If the motor does burn out, it shouldn't be too hard to find a bigger one.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #6

The dealer did put a higher amp motor on the camper and now it cuts out less. You would think they would make a heavier unit. If a heavy duty drill will work than why can't they make something that will work
Old 01-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith camping View Post
We bought our camper new in 2009. Ever sins owning it the lift motor for the roof never work. The roof will stop 3 to 4 times until the breaker resets. Their is a ac unit on top. The unit is still under warranty but the dealer has made repairs 6 times with no improvements. Any suggestions
Maybe something is causing a jam and binding the system.
Without the drill:
Dose it crank up smoothly by hand, or do you feel any resistance?

I would take all purchase/warranty and repair documents to a lawyer and have him/her fax them to Rockwood and ask for help.
The lawyer may cost you $250 or so, but you should get results. They need to reinburse you for your time and trouble which should at least off set the lawyers fee and then some.
Above all, I wouldn't let this go, and I would have done this before 6 trips to the dealer.
6 return repair trips, thats 5 to many!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #8

Up date up date!!!!!!!!!! We returned to Tom Raper in Indy. The general manager has went out of his way to take care of our problem. They are picking up the camper at our house and the president of forest river and the general manager are going to test the lift system before they call us to pick it up. The manager said it would work or they will make it right. They are also going to give us an apple I pad for our trouble. We are so happy as long as our camper gets fixed
Old 02-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #9

good happy F R did it for you
jutojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #10

Thumbs up

Smith camping, CONGRATS to you !!!
I hope you give them h@ll for the poor dealership responce to your problems !!!

As I stated above...
"6 return repair trips, thats 5 to many!"
now #7 makes it
"7 return repair trips, thats 6 to many!"

TRUST ME, Rockwood dose not want - or need - ANY bad press this tight market!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith camping View Post
Up date up date!!!!!!!!!! We returned to Tom Raper in Indy. The general manager has went out of his way to take care of our problem. They are picking up the camper at our house and the president of forest river and the general manager are going to test the lift system before they call us to pick it up. The manager said it would work or they will make it right. They are also going to give us an apple I pad for our trouble. We are so happy as long as our camper gets fixed
Glad to hear you are getting some satisfaction, is it the president and GM of FR or Tom Raper that are going to check out your unit? Seems like a far fetch that the president of FR would check on any one unit. The way you talk FR is really not in the picture here at all just Tom Raper RV, not that that is a bad thing as it looks like they want to make you a happy camper.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #12

The general manager said the president of FR visits the store all the time and he has his cell phone number
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #13

Ok so maybe your right. They installed a new motor and told us to lube the cables each time we use it. I been doing that. So I guess that means were back to the beginning. O now there telling us the system is no longer under warranty. Well I wonder what my layer would say
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #14

I would think that since they were aware of problem before the warranty ran out and it was never properly corrected, the warranty should still cover it. But then again, I'm no lawyer.

Stay after 'em. A faulty product followed by inadequate service is inexcusable!

Good luck, wish you the best.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #15

Ok we just picked up the camper and they ran it up and down and it didn't stop one time. It when't up faster than it ever has. We are so happy with the work that was done. So now I can say Tom Raper stands behind there products. Thanks for all the advise