Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

New HW276 now in the garage

Brand new here and brand new to pop ups. Just wanted say hello and learn about this new rig.

Greg
Tree Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new pup! Here's a link to another forum that might interest you:PopUp Explorer
I learned alot there when we bought our popup many years ago.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:50 PM   #3

Welcome from michigan. Congrats on the new pup. We bought our new pup in may 2014. We love it. Make sure up tie down ur awning and set the legs to it on the ground nor the pup lower side wall. Gusts of wind can flip it up n over ur roof and the poles could damage ur roof or get damaged. Learned the hard way but only bent my awning poles.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:11 PM   #4

You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that PUP.

One of your first additions to it may need to be Popup Gizmos:
PopupGizmos

Gizmos keep the sun off of the bunk-end tenting, which makes a big difference on interior temps in the summer time. And in the spring and fall, it helps retain heat so your furnace runs less.

Have fun!
davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davido_ View Post
You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that PUP.

One of your first additions to it may need to be Popup Gizmos:
PopupGizmos

Gizmos keep the sun off of the bunk-end tenting, which makes a big difference on interior temps in the summer time. And in the spring and fall, it helps retain heat so your furnace runs less.

Have fun!
And they are easy to wash so bird poop is no longer a problem; as well as tree sap

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #6

Hey Greg. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new unit. It is a great Pop up.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forums!
Congrats on the new unit!
If you get a chance and are interested please check out the frog rally ' s and get togethers!
It a good chance to meet others on the forum and have a good time!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #8

Ok everyone has me thinking about getting gizmos. But do you leave the gizmos on when tearing down or do you have to fold n store them every time? They may help on AC conditions water run off too? That's the hard part about summer with AC you have to set the pup up at home cause the canvas got wet. I'm going to try the pool noodle but not sure if that works
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #9

I take mine off, not sure if the canvas would fold ok with them connected. But I use velcro to attach mine.
And by myself, the gizmos probably add about fifteen minutes to install on both ends, and that includes the connecting of the strings under the bed frames, and on mine, with the front deck and double tanks, it is hard to get under there to attach the strings together or to the railing.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #10

Hello Greg,

Welcome to a very informative forum. I, too am new to camping and recently purchased my first camper. I look forward to many wonderful years of camping. Enjoy your new camper!😜

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Rockwood HW296
2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ
W4NT3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #11

HI and welcome.
I have a similar unit with the velcro option on he Gizmos. Very impressed with the Gizmos and leave them on when traveling, no problem with folding up. Take them off when storing for the winter. I mounted an aluminum "channel" on the rear of the top at an angle with a short rubber hose attached to the "draining" end for the runoff. Tried other methods that I had seen on here but wasn't satisfied. The channel works great, not installation/removal, permanent installation.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #12

Thanks for the enthusiastic welcome.

Here's my experience so far........

Bought the unit 12/19. Dealer pressured me to come get the unit ASAP. Tried to schedule around a 40 or above day, dealer insisted on a day when the forecast was for a high of 20. Drove the 1 1/2 hours and was told it was too cold to demo and went home.....seriously.

Rescheduled for 1/19 and went badly. I requested they not break the winterization by op checking the water systems. Dealer interpreted that as come pick up and take it away. Real attitude throughout. Had the family with me and chose not to make a scene. They did install, or attempt to install, the Equalizer sway control unit I bought before I got there, against my instructions. Destroyed the frame links by torqueing them with an impact wrench (link hardware 70 ft. lbs.) and bending the links inward about 1/2 inch. That's 1/2 inch thick rolled steel mind you. Links also installed 29 inches back from coupler. Could have easily gone to 31 inches back, (book states 27-32). Also looks like someone smashed the black tank cap on with there foot and broke the bayonet hooks off. All this discovered when I got home. Should have looked closer before we left the lot but at this point I already knew I was never going back to these Neanderthals for anything. Dealer still owes me credit for a brake controller I deleted after the sale and agreed too by them.

Good news is Progress Mfg. is sending new links and hardware and I'll do the install right. Great company. In process of repositioning the 7-pin harness, battery breakaway, and cleaning up some routing and clamping issues.

Can't wait till I can roll this thing out into the driveway for a thorough op check. God only knows what I might find. Un-heated garage has not fallen below 38 when OAT as low as 16. Concern for breaking winterization probably unfounded and may not winterize next off-season. Doing lot's of reading and study. At this point I need to get the thing up and start touching stuff.

Other than that......everything going well.

Greg
Old 02-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #13

Sorry to hear about the purchase process.

By the way, can you show pic of gizmos and AC drainage option, I would like to see some options as I haven't messed with camper that much.

Thanks.

2015 Rockwood HW296
2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ
Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #14

Congrats on the new pup. We bought a HW276 in September. We are on our first outing with it right now. We are in the Sonoran desert by Tucson and have been here a week. This is a nice rig. The problem my wife has with it is she isn't tall enough to reach the light switches. Our old pup was a Starcraft constellation which was about as long but the high walls make a huge difference and so does the slide out.

Not sure when we are going to head home but staying in this thing sure isn't roughing it.
Lathrop bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #15

With respect to handling the Gizmos, I take mine off between trips. But I've sewn velcro at the top and placed velcro tabs under the roof, so installing the Gizmos takes just a few minutes, most of which is spent figuring out which one is front and which is back. (I need to get them marked more clearly).

Camping in Zion they really helped keep the PUP cooler during the day. I have AC, but it didn't have to run as much. And camping in Bryce (where it's much cooler in the Fall) I used the Gizmos to retain heat better. And they served the purpose; the bunk ends didn't feel cold and drafty. A single electric space heater was more than adequate for keeping us warm in "summer" sleeping bags. Without the Gizmos we would have had to also run the furnace.

When camping without hookups it becomes even more essential; the AC isn't available so we have to keep it cool without that luxury. And we strive to run the furnace as little as possible to preserve our battery charge. The Gizmos help in both regards.

My floorplan is almost identical to yours, except for the location of the Gaucho sofa. You and I both have the slide-out dinette. When I ordered my Gizmos I got one to cover the dinette too.

I like the space that our floorplan provides. The slide out makes a big difference in livability.
davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #16

So cover to cover on the owners manual twice and I still can't find a winterization procedure per se. How does one bypass the fresh water tank and introduce anti-freeze into the rest of the system? Prolly wont need to do this as it will be garage kept. Just curious.

Battery is out till Spring on trickle. I have two red leads, a white, and a black. Is it both reds to positive and white and black to negative on re-hook?

I'm going to be a royal pain in the ass here. Hopefully will be able to contribute soon.

Greg
Old 02-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #17

If you are keeping it in your garage and staying roughly above freezing, I would just blow the water out of the lines.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #18

Yep. Went down to 16 last night outside. Never got below 38 in the garage.

Greg
Old 02-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #19

Get one if these then:

Camco 36153 Brass Blow Out Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX68O..._lf-2ub1DQEGCS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006IX68O..._lf-2ub1DQEGCS

Wally World has them too. Hook to your pressure regulator then use air compressor to blow out water after opening low point drains. I usually do one line at a time then just the cold as it will push the water out of the water heater. Just keep opening and closing.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #20

So cover to cover on the owners manual twice and I still can't find a winterization procedure per se. How does one bypass the fresh water tank and introduce anti-freeze into the rest of the system? Prolly wont need to do this as it will be garage kept. Just curious.

I disconnected the hose from the water pump to water tank, connected a 3-4 foot hose to the pump and placed the other end in a jug of winterize solution. The fluid is pumped through lines and fixtures but not water tank. Also make sure you bypass the water heater.

2015 Rockwood HW296
2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ