Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #1

New HW296 questions

I could wait until I get back to the dealer, but thought I'd check here first.

First, does anyone know off hand what size socket I need for the impact wrench when tightening lug nuts?

Second, is this something exclusive to aluminum rims? I had popups for twenty years or more, and I never used a torque wrench on the wheels.
Now they say you must do it every time you use it, and it must be in stages and in a sequence. I get the sequence, just not the frequency.

Third, in my bag of paperwork and goodies is a little orange plastic piece that looks like a big chopstick. What could this be???

Finally, I haven't seen this awning opened. How do people set up the poles; attached to the camper or staked in the ground.
Years ago I had one that was supposedly able to be attached to the wall of the camper, but when I did it that way, the whole roof listed to one side

Thanks!
michigan_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #2

Little orange thing is to set limit screws for popping up an down. Awning just make sure the upper poles go at to of camper lift up Awning bag so you can see the support brackets, other poles can go on camper or ground. Ir putting on camper remove black capes to reveal ball that go on Wall of camper. I don't have aluminum wheels so can't help you tbere
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

I don't have that model, but my aluminum wheels take a 3/4" socket to remove lugs nuts.

And you should have two positions on the awning. Straight up so to speak and on an angle. You will see the poles, typically the ones that tension by twisting, go up towards the roof. Underneath the awning bag, you'll see holders. Put those poles there. The others can go in the holders on the side about 1/2 way up from the ground. Or you can just out those on the ground. Stake them good if windy as they can get twisted up quick with a good breeze.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

Thanks! I called the dealer to save myself a trip.They said that on this one, the wheels are 19mm and the stabilizers are 3/4". I went to the hardware and got everything I need for the torque wrench and the for the drill to do the stabilizers.
michigan_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #5

You will love the drill for stabilizers. I looked at those when it was in our driveway before our first trip and said no way am I hand cranking those. have a great summer. Travel safe
Old 07-31-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

We also have a hw296 and we will only use a drill for stabilizers. No desire to hand crank

tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote