Old 11-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

New Popup, new to the scene

We just purchased a used 2015 Rockwood 2318g. It had a hole in the roof that was patched by the owner. It also had 2 cuts on the vinyl on top of the beds that were sewn and siliconed also by the previous owner. It was only used twice, and looks brand new other than the above. Most pieces were still in the sealed plastic, and it's obvious that several things (sink, stove, grill) has never been used.

The back story is that my wife and I are big tent campers, going many times in the fall. We wanted to be able to go more throughout the year, and not be hampered by rain during the week ruining our weekend trips. My family had a pop up when I was a kid, which was destroyed by a semi when I was in middle-high school-ish (long story). Wife and I went to go look at some pop ups at the dealer near us and really liked the Rockwoods there. Happened to find the model we really wanted (minus the toilet) on craigslist for a HUGE discount (about half price). We bought it a couple of days ago.

So the questions - what do I need to know/watch out for in this thing?? How should the roof have been repaired? How can I tell if it's getting moisture in there? How often should I check? What's the long term fix to the cuts in the vinyl? What are the gotchas for this model? What are the things I should do RIGHT NOW? What are great ideas for the future?

Thanks so much from a newbie!

Old 11-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #2

Stonefry, we have the same camper as you. Also had a hole in the roof. My mistake, failed to secure the awning down and it blew up on the roof. ended up with a dime size hole. I used Eternabond tape to seal it last year and it is still intact. As far as the vinyl over the beds, do you mean canvas? Anyway maybe take a hose and shoot some water on the repair to see how well the previous owner's repair was. As far your other questions, "what do I need to look out for?" just follow your owners manual for such things as, Lubing the lift system, keeping the wheel bearings greased, and proper winterizing. so far as I know this model doesn't have any particular gotcha problems. Just keep up the normal maintenance. Things I have done to mine is, Put 2'' memory foam on the beds. I added a 2 step entry. For over the stove, I have added a homemade hanging pantry, also added a drain line for the sink to drain in a bucket outside. Ours doesn't have a bathroom either, so I bought my wife a loveable lue (I think that's what it's called) seat that goes on a 5 gallon bucket. That way she doesn't have to go outside at night. Hope this helps good luck with your camper.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

You can order new canvas if you so desire, but if it is only for cosmetic reasons, I wouldn't bother.

If there is any way you can store it in covered storage or in your garage, you will be way way ahead of most damage that can occur due to leaks. Cloth covers will not provide this kind of leak prevention. I stored our popup in the garage, and I've stored my last 2 TTs in covered storage and I feel it is worth every penny in peace of mind. The only way water is getting into my campers is if it rains while we have it out on a trip. This means 90% of the time leak damage is not even a thing for us. 90% risk reduction is worth it!

Funny thing about the awning pole... the same thing happened to me back when we had our popup. Insurance paid for a whole new roof.
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #4

Thank you all. It will be stored year-round in the garage while we're not using it. I'll read up on the owner's manuals. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

I guess I'm not the only one with the awning pole hole in the roof.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #6

I also had a puncture on my roof from the previous owner. I suspect it was an awning pole. Sealed it up with RV Pro Flex.

Stonefry, you can also go to the website of Roberts Sales. They deal almost exclusively with Rockwood pop ups and have a ton of information to include tips and tricks.

Tags
pop up