Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

New popup owner

Hello fellow campers. I have owned traditional travel trailers (with flush toilets and everything!) and now I am the proud owner of a new (used - 2003) Rockwood tent trailer. The model is Freedom 1640 LTD. Since I am a man of distinction, I could not settle for the plain ol' 1640. (I think the LTD comes with tinted windshield.) As of today, (had it for 4 days) I couldn't be prouder or happier. I slept in it on Saturday night. No toilet or porta-potty...ugh!)...but I digress. My children are all "growed up" and so I'm streamlining (insert metaphor of choice). First of all, the battery is not "almost new" as promised, so that at least was discovered before my first outing in two weeks. New one in two days.

I have several questions, but I won't bombard you with all of them at once.

First of all...storage. Wow, I guess a normal person would have thought of this. Nobody ever accused me of being normal. From the waist down, it's (sorta) like a normal trailer. But there is no upper storage! Yikes! Have any of you come up with any creative ways of storing things like pots/pans, dishes, spices or other odds and ends? Or a make-shift clothes hanger for clothes in lieu of a closet. There is a limited (very) amount of space down below. Not that much. Please enlighten me.

I'll just ask one more. This is about long-term storage. Like after your last trip of the year. I might be tempted to bring it home and just store it. But something tells me I might want to bring it home, open it up, bring in a fan or two and really dry it out. I've heard that mold can be an issue (mold never sleeps). Please share your thoughts. Am I paranoid? Yes would be the answer...but please be more specific.

Thanks to you all.

(papa-)Jim

PS...warning...more to come

Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
CampingQueen

For short term storage while camping...

Does it have any hooks from the ceiling? Our popup had a couple of U-hooks screwed up into the ceiling. We got these cheap (< $10) fabric-like closet organizers at Wally world.

Name:   0002075306141_180X180.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  4.3 KB

We cut the bottom pocket off, as it was too long, and used the 'bottom' luan/cardboard to tuck inside the new 'bottom' pocket to reinforce it. Using a couple of metal dowels from the home improvement warehouse let us hang them from those U hooks, and we had great hanging pantry.

Best of all, they were very light weight and collapsed down to < 1 " high for storing in the camper between trips.

2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the great idea. I do not have any hooks in my ceiling and I wouldn't be brave enough to put one into the very thin roof/ceiling. But, I do believe I found a place to hang something from high on the wall near the stove. Good idea. Thanks very much.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #4

papa jim,

Welcome to the Pop Up world of creative storage techniques. We have the 1940 LTD Freedom, similar to yours but a tad longer.

When we first got ours we had to strategically examine every nook and cubby hole as to where to store things. The pots and pans and dishes were stored inside of the dish pan, stored inside the underside of the sink after it had been flipped down. Coffee pot with filters stored inside of larger floor cabinet. Linens and bedding stored under the dinette bench, along with the pillows. Silverware in it's appropriate top pull out drawer, along with cooking utensils in bottom pull out drawer. Tools, twine, duct tape, lights, collapsible trash container, fly swatters, 1 lb. Lp canisters, and extra misc. items in small cabinet next to the door. Garbage bags and paper towels in another cubby under the sink area. Large Pitcher w/ glasses stored in another small cubby. Dish towels, wash cloths, hand towels, bath towels stored in a long covered tote and another long covered tote filled with paper plates, aluminum foil, toilet paper, baggies, pot holders, spices, etc. These 2 totes are then stacked and stored on the floor before break down for continued storing. Folding table laid atop the folded down dinette, along with our 2 folding camp chairs with side tables attached. Cook stove under the dinette with board games. 5 gallon water jug for our dogs water.

The list goes on but only you can decide what your wants vs. your needs are to really utilize the storage space wisely. It takes a few trips out to realize this. Our first Pup, a 94' Starcraft Starflyte, had more available storage and since acquiring our 1940 LTD we have had to be more creative with less storage. We have more features, but less storage. Was a good trade off for us. Sometimes, less is more.... until you need what you have left behind. Oy Vay!

As far as clothing is concerned, we pack our clothes in a duffle bag. We have no need for hangers so we just lay our clothes on the opposite bunk, along with our travel case of bathroom essentials. As for food, our meals are planned in advance each trip out, so no storing whatsoever in the Pup.

It's amazing how creative you can get with limited storage. Sometimes we think we need more than we actually do when camping. As I say, less is sometimes more.

Here is another thread that might interest you:

What do you set up at camp ground ?

Enjoy your new 2 you camper.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #5

Thank you, Briorick, for your thoughtful and creative ideas. I have gotten some really good ideas from your post. Planning each meal out in advance is something I always have done, even when space was not a premium. I am building a slide-out tray for the back of my truck (w/shell) so I will be able to organize my things better. I'm sure the mother of invention will also inspire me after my fist trip in this rig in less than two weeks. Thanks again.

Also, really enjoyed the link. I've always been a very "lean and mean" camper, even when I was hauling around a big TT. I've never camped with hookups. Usually stay at state campgrounds, but here in CA they're getting ridiculous. $30-$35/night. Next year I'm going to try the National Forest Campgrounds. With Golden Age Passport, around $8-$9. My trip that I'm going on is a county park, then I'm going to stay at a private campground a couple of weeks after that offers hookups, but I'll probably pass. It's not that I'm cheap (I am), but I'm also simple. As long as I have a good battery and plenty of propane, I'm good. I don't hang around the camp very much. If I'm not fishing, or hiking I'm taking pictures. I'm starting to get into astro-photography, so I'm excited to experiment with that on my second trip, which is pretty remote and far from an city lights. When you're shooting 30 second exposures, light pollution is a problem.

Thanks again (again),
Jim
Old 09-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Experienced Newbie

Kind of off topic, yet related...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_jim View Post
I am building a slide-out tray for the back of my truck (w/shell) so I will be able to organize my things better.
Jim
I saw this on a show on SPEED channel the other night. Might be just the "slide-out" you are looking for. It appears that based on model it can support up to 1500# even at full extension.

http://www.bedslide.com/

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the idea. What I am making is just a second shelf for the truck. I'm a simple kind of man.

Jim
Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #8

We added a shelf system over our stovetop. It is actually a metal bathroom shelf unit that goes over/behind the toilet. Didn't use the bottom and modified the top, but it works great and fits in the camper when stored too.

See pics here on our blog
http://schaffergang.blogspot.com/201...sults.html?m=1
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #9

Thanks for the great tip. Enjoyed your photos on your blog.

Tags
mold, porta-potty, storage