Old 04-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #1

New Rockwood HW 276

Just picked it up last Saturday. I am so impressed with this camper. The dealer set me up with two 6 volt deep cycle golf cart type batteries that fit nicely in two battery boxes between the propane tanks and camper shell (will mostly be using it for dry camping). I plan on converting the table with folding legs, swapping the legs out for two pedestals, as in the HW 296. My 3 boys have big feet, so the pedestal support seems sturdier.

There are a few things I think that they could have improved upon, though. The refrigerator should be nearest to the door, so that you could access it from the camper door, instead of right next to the furnace. There should be a valve between the gray and black water drain systems in order that you could use the gray water to flush out the black water system after you've emptied the black water. Dang, there are a lot of keys! It would be nice if they were somehow labeled. To tell you the truth, having the electricals and water system at the same location may be convenient, but it makes me a bit nervous. I will probably purchase a battery operated water alarm to signal if there is any water leak developing ($20.00 cheap investment). I store the camper in my garage, so I'd be able to hear any alarm going off. I wish it didn't have any parasitic battery drains. I will see whether it looks like it would be easier to remove the fuse(s) or put on a battery cut off switch when it is being stored (and when I don't have a trickle charger attached). But, overall, pop-ups have come a LONG way since I was a kid.

Speaking of kids, I'll be taking my kids on their first camping experience to the same campground that I last visited in a camper, family camping in a rented Airstream! Times have changed. It used to be "first come, first served," and $3.00 a day. Now you make reservations online, for a $9.00 service fee, and it costs $17.00 a day!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGnColorado View Post
Now you make reservations online, for a $9.00 service fee, and it costs $17.00 a day!
consider yourself lucky! a basic campsite in California State Parks, cost more than twice what it's costing you!

But congrats on your new pup and to the wonderful tradition you are passing on to your children.
they'll be able to have the same wonderful memories that you obviously have.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
Incheon, S. Korea

Congratulations!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

New Rockwood HW 276

Here's a easy fix for the grey tank- get a valterra 90 elbow then a camco sewer tube rinser. Pull out the guts for the sewer rinser and seal the little whole. Made life easy for me.

And we had a HW 277 with the fridge across from the door- don't know why they arnt all like that. Invest in led bulbs- many a discussion so do a search. I also picked up a small 400 w invertor to charge the kiddos electronics when dry camping. About $20.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1397606236.989216.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	49917

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1397606257.428603.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	49918

Sorry forgot the pics

Just glad to get away
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the idea, Hondaman. Rockwood now uses led lighting inside and out on their pop-up Highwalls. I'm just waiting for the snow to melt in the high country. June is the earliest that you can camp in the mountains of Colorado, and I prefer higher elevations to escape to.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #7

Well that's good. It was fine in the winter here and we were doing high altitude for summer then they close the campgrounds for two years to renovate. Then we got bigger TV so we got bigger trailer !

Just glad to get away

Tags
rockwood