Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #1

New roof on Rockwood 1640 ESP!

Hello all,

Long first post inbound!

New owner of a 2017 Rockwood 1640 ESP here! Got a question for you all; I'm going to be getting a new roof installed on my camper by the dealer I purchased it from... With that kind of repair being done, is there anything I should be on the lookout for or specifically check once they are done and before I pull it back off their lot?

Now here's the backstory:

Purchased new in early April; purchase price included installation of a rooftop AC unit. They order from the factory "AC ready", but install the AC once the unit is sold so they can still use standard trailer shipping from Forest River... (so I'm told anyway.)
So after they do their thing and we go to pick it up and go through the orientation, there was water on top of the rear bunk mattress (which thankfully still had the plastic on it) and the rear canvas was all wet. We had some pretty heavy rains a few days before I was supposed to pick it up.
Apparently when they were installing the AC, they messed up the seal between the roof vent and the roof which caused the leak. They removed the roof vent took some pics of the styfoam in the roof and put the roof vent back in and gooped it up on the outside to seal it up.
I told them that I'd rather have a different unit as I didn't want to have any future worries about the roof delaminating from residual moisture trapped in the roof that didn't have anywhere to go. (After speaking with a FR technical rep). Or as an alternative, I wanted them to give me something in writing that documented the issue and assured that any future issues with delamination would be covered even if the standard warranty had expired.
No dice; they weren't willing to go for either of those options, but instead agreed to order a new roof from FR and replace it!
So it has been about 6 weeks and the new roof supposedly is on it's way. They said it would take about 2-3 days to change it out.

We have our first trip with the new camper scheduled for the week of July 4th so hopefully all goes smoothly with the swap!

Any words of advice?

Thanks all!
Josh
jr1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #2

Well we had our roof replaced under warranty due to delamination. We were happy overall but they mis aligned the mounting of the canvas by the door. Im almost out of warranty and did not want to bring it back just for that. When its out of warranty ill fix it correctly. I would say take the time to pop it up at the dealer and also to inspect all of the clear glue on the corner seams to make sure it is done right. I had to fill in 2 gaps.
Soft 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #3

I also had my roof replaced and was concerned for the same reasons you were. It took about six week from the order being placed to FR and delivered to the dealership. Then it took another three days for the dealership to install the new roof. They did a pretty good job, just make sure to set up and break down the entire camper the way you would if you were going camping. This way you will see any issues with the canvass, lights, hooks etc.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #4

We put a new roof on my friends 36' newmar motor home. Also replaced all plywood with 5/8 instead of 5/16 plus 2 new air conditioners. We found that the unit was under built and added more support to the aluminum trusses. We put on a new membrane. We screwed and we glued but we followed the manufacture installation instructions on the air conditioners. No caulking underneath and no eternabond, just on its foam pads and torqued to specs. 2 yrs and no problems.Total cost <$4000
petitecodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #5

Good advice; thanks! After they complete the roof install, I do plan on doing a quick setup on the lot to make sure I don't see anything obvious... And another setup at home so we can start getting the interior set up (loading up cookware, bedding, etc. - all the stuff that will remain in the trailer). Hopefully all is good and we can get the issue behind us!
Old 07-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #6

Well, it has been a while but the new roof is now on! Raised the roof at the dealer and everything looks good so far!

The delivery of the roof took a lot longer than expected so we did go camping over the 4th of July with the old roof still installed (slathered with sealant around the roof vent). No issues, but it is good to have the new one on for peace of mind.

Josh
Old 07-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1221 View Post
Well, it has been a while but the new roof is now on! Raised the roof at the dealer and everything looks good so far!

The delivery of the roof took a lot longer than expected so we did go camping over the 4th of July with the old roof still installed (slathered with sealant around the roof vent). No issues, but it is good to have the new one on for peace of mind.

Josh

Thanks for the update, glad to hear everything worked out well.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #8

Been meaning to ask a follow-up question...

So I noticed that the factory ProRac roof rack rails on the new roof are not spaced the same as on the original roof. Originally they were about 35" apart; on the new roof they are about 24" apart...

I don't think it will be a big issue with any accessories I plan on mounting on the rails, but upon closer inspection, it looks like the dealer took the rails off the old roof and installed them on the new roof but changed the spacing in the process.

Makes me wonder if I should lift the risers off the mounts and make sure they did a sufficient job of sealing them up... (And maybe add a bead of ProFlex under each one just to be sure) Anyone on here have any experience with the ProRac rails? Are they prone to leaks if not installed "just right"?

Here is the link to the ProRac installation instructions:
https://www.prorac.com/root/pdf/SAH303-IS.pdf
(These are the instructions for a screw-down mount; for a fiberglass roof it is basically the same except using through-bolts instead of screws... Not sure exactly how they are secured on mine.)

Any advice?
Thanks!
Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180812_192541.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	183035  

Tags
rockwood, roo, roof