Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #1

New Tent Ends - Replacement taking forever

I have a Rockwood HW276 where the tent ends are leaking on the sides. Water is saturating the sides and leaking inside. I've sent pictures to the deal and Forest River has agreed to replace them, which was on July 18th. As of now, the dealer is saying they still haven't recieved the new tent ends.

I'm very frustrated (PO'd is more like it) that it's taking so long. This is a brand new 2014 camper and shouldn't have these type of problems.

Does it typicaly take 10+ weeks for replacement parts to come in from Forest River?

Thanks.
mjw1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #2

Are you sure it's a leak and not condensation forming on the inside? We had this problem with our hybrid when it was cold outside and warm in the trailer to the point where it would drip from the fabric. Once we cracked one of the roof vents about an inch the problem went away on the windows and tent ends.

Good luck with the repair.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #3

I am absolutely certain it's not condensation. During our last camping trip it rained and the inside of the tent end was saturated and got the mattress soaking wet. So much water came thru that it collected on the underside of the tent end, where the velcro attached to the wooden underside. Water poured out when i released the velcro.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #4

Well, wouldn't ya know it...I just got an email from Forest River saying both tent ends were delivered to the dealer last Friday. Now, all I have to do is get the dealer to agree to get the unit in quickly for the repairs.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #5

Please tell me this was not leaking through the canvas sides on the bunk?

I noticed when my camper arrived that the side flaps that zip open were not made out of the usual fabric but was instead cloth. It does not look waterproof at all and I am concerned about it.

Can you explain how it was coming in better?

Thanks,

Vin.

p.s. I hope you have not left the site already now that your ends are in.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #6

Leave this site? Are you serious? I've gotten more information off this site than you can imagine! I'll never leave.

The water was coming thru on the sides that unzipped. Mine too were made of a different material, more like cloth. When the rain water would run down the side of the tent end, it would soak thru like a wet towel. Water would actually run down the inside flap and under the bunk end. Hopefully you can tell from my pictures what I am referring to.

The funny thing is that only one half of the side got wet. it's like they forgot to seal/coat the one half of the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water inside.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	63869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water inside 2.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	63870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Half wet.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	63871   Click image for larger version

Name:	half wet 2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	63872  
Old 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #7

Glad to have you. And thanks for posting pictures. Those help tons.

I see that is the panel that I was concerned about.

So how did you get FR to replace them and what change are you expecting? I have a 2015 and they are still using this strange fabric for some reason. Would you not receive the same fabric?

From looking at the pictures it almost looks like the water was coming through the sew holes at the bottom. The design used by FR is to place the fabric behind the screening. So the rain rolls down the fabric and then hits the sewing area and jams up instead of flowing easily off. I wonder if this is where the water was coming in or if it came in above those holes by coming through the fabric itself.

I never noticed this fabric until I got home and immediately posted a question on it. Did not really get any complaints about it. One person sprays Teflon on it yearly. I am still concerned about it. I am disapointed they changed it from the normal fabric. This stuff must be cheaper.

Your pictures also show that they do not shade very well either. Argggg.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

The water is actually coming in from the entire tent side and running down over the sew holes and onto the bottom flat. Imagine holding towel up and spraying one side of it. You'll get water coming thru the other side.

I sent F/R the pictures and they didn't argue at all. They just agreed to replace both tent ends. Not sure what I'm getting in replacement. I take it in Monday to have them installed. We will see. Have you lightly sprayed yours down with water to help seal up the seams, etc.? I did that when I first got mine and no water leaked thru. Now all of a sudden they are leaking.

I tried spraying mine with some sort of silcon spray but it didn't work.

The tent ends allow a lot of light in. I highly recommend PUGS for the tent ends. They cover them on the top, block out some of the light and make it at least 10-15 degrees cooler in the sun. Well worth the money.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #9

I understand. Thanks.

What happened to you is just what i expected after feeling them. I will be getting some Gizmos this winter after I have a chance to measure the bunk ends.

After looking at your pictures, I think I am gonna fashion some reflectix inserts for those side windows. What you do is cut pieces of refletix insulation and place inside the space between the cloth and the outside screen. It is held in place when you zip it shut. It will block all that side light. Normally you do not need it with the normal tent material. But that thin cotton cloth looks like it will require it.

I will post back once I have been in a rain storm.

You may very well have been the canary in the coal mine.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 10-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #10

I am surprised other owners have not chimed in on this tread. There are quite a few of us with newer HW units.

I am gonna give my tenting a good soaking this weekend to test out those sections.

So did you only have trouble with one of them? There are four of these panels in total correct? And was it only one? How about the other one on that side? Was it a directional rain that hit one side worse?

Good for you for complaining. It is good that they honored it. I wonder if they are getting a lot of claims.

I wish you luck that your new set does not have these cloth panels. I will complain straight away as well if these things leak. I am flabbergasted that they would change the material to such a cheap, thin material. I owned my pop up for 10 years and the fabric help up wonderful. I was very impressed with it. Then I got my new unit and it had these cloth panels in it. Got me concerned the first time I felt them.

I have done enough tent camping to know what works and what does not. This cloth does not look up to it at all.

Can't wait to hear back from you on your new set. Good luck.

Vin.

P.S. Could you provide me with some contact information of who you called or got the e-mail from from Forest River? You can pm me if you wish.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 10-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #11

I am following this as I have a 2014 premier 2317g. I have soaked mine as instructed for the sealing of the stitching. I have not noticed any issues. It is raining steadily today in Boston. I have it set up as we will be packing and taking it out Columbus Day weekend. I will check when I get home today to see.
3hooligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #12

Does your model also have different material for the side flaps as opposed to the end flaps?

The problem lies in the new cloth material they are using for the side zip up flaps and not the vinyl material they use for everything else.

You will not have any problems with the normal vinyl material. That stuff is awesome. This cloth is questionable.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 10-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #13

I have cloth like material. Different from the vinyl. I didn't have a problem during the soaking I did. I did have a few drips during a brief rain storm during out trip in August. That was before I read that I had to soak the seams to seal them. I will check this afternoon when I get home. Today's rain will be a good test. I have the gizmos just haven't put them on yet. Plan to try them for our trip in 1 weeks.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #14

The sides of mine are also a different material. Not sure why. Axious to see what the new tent ends/sides look like when they are installed on Monday.

You can bet i'll be wetting it down to test it out as soon as possible. I have to think that i just got a bad set of tent ends, otherwise other people would be having the same issue. My neighbor has a 2013 HW276 and he's not having any issues with leaking.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #15

Well I got home from work and checked.... We got about an inch and a half of rain today. I had some drops, no puddling or pooling. The side are different from the ends. It almost appears as if the screen got pulled into the stitch holes not allowing the seam to seal properly. The sides appear dry. Just a damp at the bottom and not consistently. Only one side had actual water. The other three had streaking.
I may try some seam sealer rather than have to go back to the dealer. I didn't feel like my dealer had a good handle on my unit. I will see and may put in a call to FR. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412195979.583433.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	63910Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412195991.080532.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	63911Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412196006.615342.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	63912
Old 10-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #16

Well you guys have convinced me to open up my camper tomorrow during a break in the rain to begin to season the tenting. Friday morning I will spray it down good with a hose and see if it leaks.

Hooligan. I too am in MA. I should have had it open today. Would have been a good test.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #17

Well, I apparently didn't do a good enough job soaking it the first time, as it is seeping thru some of the thread holes, not just where this canvas type material is. It is where the roof runoff hits the seams. I am now kicking my self for not putting the Gizmos on when I got them. I had not planned on leaving it up as we have a big party this weekend, But family wants to see it. Now it will stay open until we leave for the cape.. This is my first go round with a PUP, so I live and learn.
Vin, what dealer did you use for your purchase?
Steve
Old 10-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #18

I hosed down my pop up today and used the shower feature to soak the bunk sides.

I am happy to report that I had no leaks. I was glad to see that!!! This cloth makes me very nervous.

I will leave the camper up tonight and let the humidity from the last few days rainstorms expand the thread more. I also needed to hose it down to season the thread like you did Steve.

Steve. I drove out to Albany RV. They offer good prices of around 30% off MSRP. It is about a 2 hour drive down the pike from Central MA. I bought my first pop up from them and had no problems. I am pretty handy and can replace (not fix) most things on the unit. I saved enough to compensate me if I have any problems that I cannot resolve. I would expect FR to help me if the dealer would not.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 10-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #19

Vin
I went to lakeville to purchase mine. I am pretty handy as well and will attempt most fixes and projects. I will follow up with warranty the stuff. This was my first RV purchase so it was a learning experience and wanted the dealer close.
Now just need to find more time to use it!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hooligans View Post
Vin
I went to lakeville to purchase mine. I am pretty handy as well and will attempt most fixes and projects. I will follow up with warranty the stuff. This was my first RV purchase so it was a learning experience and wanted the dealer close.
Now just need to find more time to use it!
Yeah. Time is always in short supply my friend.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#

Tags
replacement