Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4
New to Me Flagstaff 625D

Just bought a 2007 Flagstaff 625D. This is my first journey into tent trailers...or any trailer for that matter. We've been tent camping for 15+ years and are ready to get off the ground!

Anyway, I just set it up in our driveway after buying it and the straps that hold the door to the ceiling were pulled out by the screws. Must have happened during the drive home. Looking at the ceiling, it's not the first time this has happened. Looks like they just drilled a new hole each time it happened. Curious if anyone else has had that issue and come up with a better solution? I was thinking of getting a small piece of sheet metal, maybe 4 inches, and screw it in over the area of each strap to make a new place to attach it. But I feel this would just be more of the same down the road. Any other creative solutions you've found that work well?

Also, haven't had much luck finding a downloadable manual for the trailer. I've found a couple threads of people looking for it, but no one seems to have a PDF of it to download.
__________________

__________________
TSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
f5moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,058
Manuals are kind of generic; not really specific to any model. The one I have just says Flagstaff Tent Camper Owner's Manual and in fact shows a HW on the front page. But not sure where I got the PDF file from; it's been a few years, but it does match the paper version given by the dealer. Many of the items such as furnace, stove, refrigerator, etc., have separate manufacturer manuals and those are paper that came with the trailer.
__________________

__________________
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires DELAMINATED ROOF
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,503
Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2007 Flagstaff 625D. It'll be great getting up off the ground.
__________________
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Manuals are kind of generic; not really specific to any model. The one I have just says Flagstaff Tent Camper Owner's Manual and in fact shows a HW on the front page. But not sure where I got the PDF file from; it's been a few years, but it does match the paper version given by the dealer. Many of the items such as furnace, stove, refrigerator, etc., have separate manufacturer manuals and those are paper that came with the trailer.
It did come with the manuals for all the appliances and such. Just not one for the trailer itself. So, I am not completely in the dark.
__________________
TSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSharp View Post

Anyway, I just set it up in our driveway after buying it and the straps that hold the door to the ceiling were pulled out by the screws. Must have happened during the drive home. Looking at the ceiling, it's not the first time this has happened. Looks like they just drilled a new hole each time it happened. Curious if anyone else has had that issue and come up with a better solution? I was thinking of getting a small piece of sheet metal, maybe 4 inches, and screw it in over the area of each strap to make a new place to attach it. But I feel this would just be more of the same down the road. Any other creative solutions you've found that work well?
It really depends on what material your roof is made from.

My old Coleman had the famous foam sandwich roof. If attaching anything to that (inside), I would epoxy a 3/4" plywood or hardwood pad to the roof, and then screw into that.

Assuming you have some kind of non-metal liner on the underside of the roof, the same technique would apply to avoid screwing into the roof core. I would also use epoxy putty to fill any existing screw holes.

A sheet metal interior liner (which I doubt) will shrink and/or expand too much for epoxy to hold long term.

This is a technique I have used on various fiberglass (both cored and non-cored) boats. On boats you really don't want water getting into the core or the fiberglass laminations.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
__________________
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
It really depends on what material your roof is made from.

My old Coleman had the famous foam sandwich roof. If attaching anything to that (inside), I would epoxy a 3/4" plywood or hardwood pad to the roof, and then screw into that.

Assuming you have some kind of non-metal liner on the underside of the roof, the same technique would apply to avoid screwing into the roof core. I would also use epoxy putty to fill any existing screw holes.

A sheet metal interior liner (which I doubt) will shrink and/or expand too much for epoxy to hold long term.

This is a technique I have used on various fiberglass (both cored and non-cored) boats. On boats you really don't want water getting into the core or the fiberglass laminations.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
I will look close when I go home tonight. But the inside is sheet metal and there is some layer of foam above that. I don't remember if the outside is sheet metal as well or some kind of composite. The straps were just attached with one sheet metal screw each (maybe 1/4 to 3/8 in length). My thought was maybe epoxy 4 inch pieces of sheet metal over the holes (something a little thicker) and then attaching to that.
__________________
TSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
f5moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,058
Auto industries use riv-nuts to fasten roof rails to the top of SUVs. Might work for the strap.
__________________
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires DELAMINATED ROOF
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
exploreco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central Illiniois
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSharp View Post
Just bought a 2007 Flagstaff 625D. This is my first journey into tent trailers...or any trailer for that matter. We've been tent camping for 15+ years and are ready to get off the ground!

Anyway, I just set it up in our driveway after buying it and the straps that hold the door to the ceiling were pulled out by the screws. Must have happened during the drive home. Looking at the ceiling, it's not the first time this has happened. Looks like they just drilled a new hole each time it happened. Curious if anyone else has had that issue and come up with a better solution? I was thinking of getting a small piece of sheet metal, maybe 4 inches, and screw it in over the area of each strap to make a new place to attach it. But I feel this would just be more of the same down the road. Any other creative solutions you've found that work well?

Also, haven't had much luck finding a downloadable manual for the trailer. I've found a couple threads of people looking for it, but no one seems to have a PDF of it to download.
Welcome! See if this link helps you out and check out popupportal.com

There is a general manual for a 2007 that is probably close to what you are looking for Flagstaff Owners Manual
__________________
2014 Rockwood Premier 2514G
2010 Ford F150 Lariat

Nights Camped in 2017-29
2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4
Thanks! That is just what I needed!
__________________
TSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:21 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 38
You can use what they call nut serts. It's similar to rivets but are threaded on the inside.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forumsdaverobenolt
__________________

__________________
daverobenolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flagstaff

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.