Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #1

Location: PEI, the most beautiful Island in the world...for about 2 months of the year!
New To Me Pop Up A couple of issues:

Hi all. I have a 2008 F.R. Flagstaff MAC 19TH with a one piece door. This is a New to Me pup and I've only had a chance to set it up twice in the driveway. Two issues I have are: fabric is really had to reach to the Velcro on one side of the door and on the opposite side of the pup the fabric doesn't tuck on the bunk end nicely. Is there a way to "shift" the tent material so it reaches the Velcro on the door and tucks around the bunk end nicely (one inch would be all it takes). Second is the plastic retaining clips that hold the door frame in place. They are quite loose and easily pivot sideways, unlocking the frame. Is there a way to tighten these clips? They are held together with a rivet not screwed together.
Thanks in advance, Kurt
Kurt194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

Are you sure you have it leveled side-to-side on blocks or with a BAL leveler and front-to-rear with the jack? And on my 228, the also recommend that the stabilizers be down and the trailer stabilized prior to raising the roof.

My door material is hard to stretch but getting easier, while the material on the bunk end corners gets easier each time.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #3

On our freedom the material was hard to get around the door and bunk ends, but it has got easier, I did notice the cooler the temps are the canvas is not as soft and flexible. The door rivets can be fixed or replaced, by someone who knows how to fix them.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forest River Forums mobile app
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #4

Location: PEI, the most beautiful Island in the world...for about 2 months of the year!
Thanks for everyone's input and advice. I played with it (raising and lowering the roof and the set up process. Than I took my own 5' level and levelled the trailer. Found that the little ones that are on the pup are off quite a bit. That made all the difference in the world! Just getting in to a morning coffee after having the family out for a camp driveway for Easter! Went down to -4 last night but with the heated mattress and heater blazing, it was quite comfy (except for the noise of the blower on the heater, but that became a white noise after a while). As for the loose clips that fasten the door frame to the pup, I'll come up with something to make them work (don't mind the odd handy man project). Thanks again!
Cheers, Kurt.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #5

Glad to hear you have got it truly level now.
As for those door clips, I sometimes wonder if they are supposed to be slightly loose. The top two of mine are pretty tight but others are loose fitting to the door, and so far, no problems.
If want a tighter fit, one of my favorite products is velcro. Just put a small piece (soft side velcro) on the door in the area where the clips meet the door. That would stop any possible rattle.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

My 228 had tight canvas to door but it is relaxing a bit as time passes. Likely designed that way to allow for some stretch. I just pull it a bit tighter after being set up for a day and in the warm weather and it helps. Same thing with bunk ends and just be sure to wrap them before velcroing other sides or installing interior support rods.
As for loose plastic retainers, it annoyed me to the point that I removed them, filed off the excess plastic where it contacts the frame and reinstalled them. Was a time consuming project but worth not having the annoyance of spinning retainers. I reattached with long pop-rivets but have seen others use coarse thread, pan head screws which can be tightened if needed but also can come loose over time. Drop of loctite might solve that though.
Wish you lots of good times and great memories with the new pup. I know we love ours.
gettawaydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciative! Lots of things to tinker with I'm sure in my near future (like my mx bike wasn't enough lol). Thanks again. Lots of fun ahead!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	169
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	50583  

Tags
pop up