Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

New to Me - Rockwood 2270 - electrical and sink questions

All of this RV stuff is new to me as we upgraded from a tent to a tent tralier when we bought the 2270 in the winter from a dealer. I forgot most of what the guy told me when we picked up the trailer and I'm having a few issues right now

Electrical
Currently the trailer is hooked up to shore power as I need the fridge cold for beer for the first trip this weekend. I noticed that the interior cabin lights would not turn on but all other electrical components worked. I checked the inline fuse and sure enough it was blown. Not sure why, any ideas? I'm assuming that if I replace this fuse then the lights will work?

Trickle charge
The owners manual says nothing about this, but when I am plugged into the shore power will the battery keep charged? Up until last night I haven't had the trailer plugged in at all and the battery drains constantly.

Battery charge
How long will a typical deep cell battery keep it's charge? My main fear is after a 4 day camping trip there won't be enough juice left in the battery to lower the trailer and I'll have to hand crank it.

Sink
There isn't a line that connects the outside water to the tap, I found that out the hard way when I turned on the water and a stream jetted across the cabinet. I'm assuming that a line just runs from that connection to the tap? Does the waste water just run out the side discharge and down the trailer? I would think there should be a hose connected to this outlet, but it is large diameter that a typical garden hose wouldn't fit.

I'm sure most of these questions are annoying to the veteran camper but bear with me as I figure it all out.

Thanks and this forum has helped me out a couple times already!

Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #2

The fuse could have blown because someone crossed some wires fiddling with something. If the new fuse doesn't blow then you are good to go.

The converter should keep the battery charged whilst on shore power.

I could run my pop up for 8 days dry camping. But we didn't use much inside, mostly just the water pump for showers and a few lights at bed time. I also had a small solar cell hooked up to it and plugged my truck into it at night. Make sure you run your fridge on propane, not 12 volt while dry camping.

You can buy an adapter that will screw on to the drain line that will accomodate a water hose.

Good luck and enjoy the new pop up!

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #3

Thanks for the tips. I changed the fuse at the battery checked the fuses in the converter and the interior still don't work. The plugs and exterior door light work though. I'll need to do some research on this one.

The fridge is almost cool enough for beers though!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggles View Post
Thanks for the tips. I changed the fuse at the battery checked the fuses in the converter and the interior still don't work. The plugs and exterior door light work though. I'll need to do some research on this one.

The fridge is almost cool enough for beers though!
The 3 way fridge running on 12V @ about 10-12 amps will kill your battery in just over an hour. Use gas and 110V setting only.
At the sink there is a switch that disconnects power from anything in the roof when the roof is lowered. Look for it behind sink (That is where is is on mine). Start fault finding there. The switch may be sticking.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #5

Galley sink

Does your camper have a galley sink that you have to raise up? In mine, you have to raise up the sink/cooktop for the lights to work.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

I'd start with the wiring to the galley switch. I've found that it is easily knocked loose from the switch as a result of raising and lowering the galley.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #7

Thanks for all the tips. I discovered the drop switch thing by the sink and managed to get everything running for the first trip in the camper last week. It was great to be off the ground and have heat!