Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #1

Question New to pop-up camping.... questions.

Hi All... I'm new to this forum and to pop-up camping. Looking for some tips and tricks.

We just bought a 2010 Flagstaff 228D pop-up tent camper. Just trying to learn all the ins and outs of the trailer and trynig to plan out our storage.

Can the top of the camper be closed with bedding(sheets/Blankets etc.) on the beds. I assume pillows would likely be too thick.

Any tips for these units? Storage tips? Maintenance tips?
lemoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #2

Welcom to the forum. We had a 2000 Coleman PUP and I never thought of leaving the beds made up when closing the trailer. The Coleman beds slid in and I suppose it is possible. We found that those plastic drawer units were very useful for storage. You will have to stack on the floor when traveling. The hanging type of canvas shoe holders are useful too. You can get very creative for storage ideas and you may find some ideas here in the forum. Check the wheel bearings for proper lube. Happy Trails !

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

We set up the pup a couple of days before we take it out. We'll load in whatever we need, turn the fridg on and we'll put sheets on the beds then. Haven't had any problems. Before tearing down at the camp site we remove the sheets and clean the camper so it will be ready for next time.

Oh yeah, to the forum
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #4

We would leave our mattress pads and fitted sheets on the beds when closed, but there was never enough space to leave covers in place. It was one less step when setting up camp. If the top would have closed with the comforter (sleeping bags, really) in place, we would have left those on the beds also.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

We've had a pop up for a few years now, stepping up from tenting.
I leave the sheets on the beds. For trips I lay the sleeping bags all layed out on the beds along with pillows.
I purchased crib sheets for the dinette cushions. Our shephard decided he can fit on there at night and his hair is really hard to get out of the fabric. Each night I put the sheets on for him and carefully remove in morning. Shake outside.
I belive in containers for everything. Cycle gear in one, hiking gear in another. This way everything is together when you are looking for something. Everyone has personal gear in one bag also. We are going to get same size in different colors. If it fits in bag you can take it.
I have stocked the trailer with basics so it is already loaded. At end of each trip I take inventory and reload. This way if we go on a short trip we just need food, clothing and whatever sport gear the trip involves. I even have games just for camping. I keep basic seasonings, dishes, linens.
I also keep supplies for the trailer itself. It is easy to forget things so if the basics are always there it helps.
Bobicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #6

After a camping trip we put up the camper in the driveway and clean everything, floor, fridge, cook top, toilet/ shower, everything. drain the lines and the water heater after each trip.

We restock the paper goods, and anything else we used up.

We make sure it is completely dry before dropping the top, and we are good to go for next trip weather it's in a week or a month.

Before we leave for a trip all I have to do is check the outside stuff. The tire pressure including the spare, the battery and the propane and pack food and clothes and linens.

You have a good amount of space at the door with the top down, we fit our cooler, and linens in it no problem. Just lift the top about 2 inches so you don't damage the seal on the top of the door and you can access it with the top almost completely down.

By splitting things up you keep thing clean and maintained and have half as much to do before going. The important stuff is done right after the trip while it's fresh in our minds and nothing gets put away dirty or wet, the two big enemies of the camper.

Hope it helps, happy camping
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

Thanks!

Thank you all for the good information! I appreciate it all!
lemoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
228d, newbie, pop up, tent camper, tips