Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Question New to sight and looking for help

OK I have been looking but not finding much info on floor repairs. I am repairing a 1997 Forest river classic. Not sure of the model past that. The back wall leaked and rotted out along with about 7 inches of the floor. Have removed the slide bed and cabinets. The wall fell off when I removed the interior paneling. My Question is what would be best to use for the floor? I have thought about using a 1x12 and planning it to the same thickness of the floor.
any ideas?
Thank you for your input
Karrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

I know you mentioned about 7 inches of the floor is rotted. I assume but, you post doesn't say you already removed the floor covering? If so, are you sure it's contained to only 7 inches. If it is only 7 inches, as long as you have good support underneath which you should, your 1x12 idea should work. If it's a larger area, you might want to move towards 1/2 or 3/4 plywood or something like that and do the same idea, pan it to meet the floor height. Really anything should work that's going to give the floor a solid feel once you got all the rot taken care of.

Everyone on here is happy to answer questions for the most part so I'm sure you'll get alot of other responses too, perhaps people who had similar experiences.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

I would use Marina Board.. its not cheap but will do great under outside weather changes. I redone a whole 1987 camper. And that was the best for the floor. Cause you dont want it to stiff it needs to flex with the tralier.. But yes cut out enough until your back into good wood..
Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #4

Thank you for your help. Yes I have pulled back the vinyl floor cover and removed the cabinets that where over the back area. I am really surprised at the low quality of the workmanship of the factory. Supports that are not cut the same length. The lift supports not screwed down. Any and all hints and tips will be welcomed.

Karrick
Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
Anacortesians

This sight is a site for soar ayes.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 PM   #6

Can you post a pic of the affected area?

I am not sure what they used then but my guess is some type of treated OSB.

I would try to find some of the Marine grade ply mentioned above. I would also use a 2X4 as a cleat the width of the floor to join the 2 surfaces and keep them level.

Seal all joints with a water resistant sealant.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

New to sight and looking for help

Here is a shot of the back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper_014.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	52888