Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 10:03 PM   #1

New top

My wife and I bought a 2006 Rockwood 1910 last year and we've used it 6 times. I thought I had gotten a good deal because I didn't know what to look for. You could tell it hadn't been used much at all. The guy actually had never used the A/C. He told me that the roof fan had been left up a little and it rained in because it had some mildew stains on the vinyl. Well that wasn't it!! The exhaust fan was actually leaking so I took it out last year and replaced to wood around the opening but the wood on the face of the roof the backside and the front is all rotted. How hard is this to replace or how expensive would it be to replace the top (if needed)? Also the front storage box on the driver's side had been leaking and the floor is soft. I guess should've looked better before I bought but this was my first one and didn't really know what to look for. Thanks for any advice!!
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #2

First off, don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes, just roll with the punches and move on. How hard to repair wood damage, hard to tell until you really see what has to be done. If you are handy, you could probably do it yourself and save some money or take the camper somewhere and let them do it . If you do it yourself, take pictures and document how you took things apart so you can see how it goes back together. Measure the wood you remove best as you can for replacement. Other option is to sell it. Think things over and decide what to do. Good Luck.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #3

I have been wondering if F.R.P. (cheap at lowes ~30 for 4x8) could be used to replace the roof? Indeed it looks like F.R.P. only thinner. '

You would have to get someone good with fiberglass seams to join it all.

The final question would be to if you can bend it with heat for the front/rear ends?
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #4

scgator, therr are at least two boat manufacturers in AR. You should be able to find someone at one or both that can correctly lay fiberglass. Ask if they want a side job. I would think you could get the fiberglass part of the repair done more cheaply than going to a dealer.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote