Old 07-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #1

Newbie battery question

Hi,
We bought a 2019 Flagstaff 425D a few months ago and have had it out a couple of times now and love it!

The manuals are zero help, but I think through trial and error, we have most of the electronics/appliances figured out now.

I do have a question regarding the battery. We probably will only camp out maybe once a month. Do folks leave the battery hooked up when in storage?

I've been removing it, otherwise the battery seems to drain over time. I assume there are some intentional parasitic draws causing this. Then, I just throw it on a battery tender for a few hours before we take off.

Am I missing anything? I know if hooked up to DC it will charge, but I don't have electric where I store it.

Popup5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #2

My brother puts a solar panel on his battery when his camper is parked. He doesn't have an AC plug close by to plug into either. He says it keeps his battery topped up. I haven't tried it yet. The parasitic draw could be from your CO detector if you have one. It never shuts off apparently.

2015 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Plus
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦
HappyCamperCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #3

I would absolutely disconnect the battery when in storage. There is too much going on with the electronics for the battery not to drain. In fact if/when the battery is too low you will hear a constant beeping coming from the camper which is the CO detector warning you of low power.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #4

Thank you both!
Popup5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #5

Installing a switch is not a big deal.

Saves using tools to remove a wire.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #6
Site Team

You can get a simple disconnect switch for $6.

https://www.harborfreight.com/batter...caAn1IEALw_wcB
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

as i see it you have a dilema. yes there are parasitic draws that will drain the battery. rather than taking it out you can just disconnect on of the battery cables or install you own total disconnect switch. this will allow the battery to keep its charge during the month it is in storage.

however..... how would you get the battery recharged before the next trip? you can't be assured it is fully charged when you put it in storage. your battery minder seems to do the recharging just fine once you pull the battery and take it to the battery minder.

i'm thinking a full battery is more important. so pull it and recharge it. or look into a solar powered maintainer. but one has to wonder how secure they would be in a storage lot with many people coming and going.

Tags
battery, newbie