Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 17
Here's some questions - do you ever use a generator when you camp off the grid? Or solar panels? We found our battery didn't last long at all, just running lights inside! How long does it take for your battery to fully charge? Our rv dealer told us if the battery ran out while camping, to just plug it into the truck pigtail and it would charge fully in half an hour. We charged for an hour and it barely charged at all. We are thinking of buying a small generator, but I really like the idea of going solar instead... I only wonder how long THAT would take to charge...
__________________

__________________
DianaWayneScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaWayneScott View Post
Here's some questions - do you ever use a generator when you camp off the grid? Or solar panels? We found our battery didn't last long at all, just running lights inside! How long does it take for your battery to fully charge? Our rv dealer told us if the battery ran out while camping, to just plug it into the truck pigtail and it would charge fully in half an hour. We charged for an hour and it barely charged at all. We are thinking of buying a small generator, but I really like the idea of going solar instead... I only wonder how long THAT would take to charge...
We mainly stay at resorts......we're mainly at some beach somewhere on the coast, so no generator for us. You never want your battery to go below 50% charge......this really shortens your battery life. Some folks here really like the Honda 2000e generators........very quiet. You truck can charge the battery but it will take a very long time to charge it back up......."a half an hour" is laughable. So, if you like going off grid......look in to a two battery setup.....group 27 of the same type and age. Switch your over head lamps into LED bulbs. Do you have twin Propane tanks?
__________________

__________________
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 17
Uh-oh - our first time out we drained the battery to nothing! Told you we know nothing! Hopefully this didn't kill our battery too badly. We'll definitely not do that again. I like the idea of two batteries - is it hard to hook that up? We hate the idea of going back to our dealer - they were pretty much useless for information when we picked the pup up... Yeah, another camper where we were at last weekend couldn't believe our dealer told us half an hour charge time was all it took thru the pigtail. So you see why avoiding our dealer is a keen desire! Ha! We only have one 20 lb propane tank... This fellow camper last weekend had a Honda 3000 and we could not believe how small and quiet it was!!!! So we are leaning towards a genny. Here's a question - does the genny charge the battery at the same time it provides power for the rv? Is that a stupid question? ��
__________________
DianaWayneScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaWayneScott View Post
Uh-oh - our first time out we drained the battery to nothing! Told you we know nothing! Hopefully this didn't kill our battery too badly. We'll definitely not do that again. I like the idea of two batteries - is it hard to hook that up? We hate the idea of going back to our dealer - they were pretty much useless for information when we picked the pup up... Yeah, another camper where we were at last weekend couldn't believe our dealer told us half an hour charge time was all it took thru the pigtail. So you see why avoiding our dealer is a keen desire! Ha! We only have one 20 lb propane tank... This fellow camper last weekend had a Honda 3000 and we could not believe how small and quiet it was!!!! So we are leaning towards a genny. Here's a question - does the genny charge the battery at the same time it provides power for the rv? Is that a stupid question? ��
Yes.....depending on the generator setup......you would need a 30 amp to 20 amp plug adapter to plug into the generator......unless the generator has a 30 amp plug. Once you plug in your power center which as a battery charger built in will begin to charge your battery. A two battery setup is easy to setup.......you just need to have the ability to have two batteries on the rack and you should look into getting two propane tank setup. Some things that will kill the battery is a hurry......running the fridge on the battery......does much better on the propane system. You have a 3 way fridge....DC..AC or propane. Yep, your dealer sounds like a real keeper.
__________________
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 17
Thank you SO much for all this info! I really appreciate it! Yeah, we ran the fridge off the battery come to think of it. No wonder it drained so quickly!!! Yeah, though I love our pup, the whole experience with the dealer and not getting help from them has been very frustrating (to put it mildly). And the manuals that came with the pup are nearly useless to us newbies.... Finding this site and receiving help from owners is a godsend!! Thanks again!!!
__________________
DianaWayneScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 180
In addition, if you go with a 2 battery setup, make sure they are wired in parallel. In parallel you maintain 12V, but if you hook them in series you will get 24V which will cause problems you don't need. There are many good threads on this site showing how to do it.

Don
__________________
Don and Michele
3 Adult Children - 4 Granddaughters
Present campsite - future homesitehttps://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg119/dmdrj5/lake/dividingcreekviewfromhouselocation.jpg?t=120311985  4
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
Pickin' & Campin'
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 4,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaWayneScott View Post
Thank you SO much for all this info! I really appreciate it! Yeah, we ran the fridge off the battery come to think of it. No wonder it drained so quickly!!! Yeah, though I love our pup, the whole experience with the dealer and not getting help from them has been very frustrating (to put it mildly). And the manuals that came with the pup are nearly useless to us newbies.... Finding this site and receiving help from owners is a godsend!! Thanks again!!!
The manuals that come with most all units are nearly useless to everyone!
One of my pet peeves!
I have a $15 clock radio that came with a more informative owners manual.

Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy!
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:53 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 17
Ha!!! Soooo true about the manuals! Thanks - you made me not feel so ignorant!!
__________________
DianaWayneScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #19
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,240
We owned two popups before we bought our Hybrid TT.
Most popups can have a two battery setup. If you're handy, you can easily do it yourself.

Another suggestion is to use YouTube for finding helpful videos.

Your furnace is the biggest power drain on the battery. The fridge, lights and water pump are minor drains.

If you don't need to run the a/c, a Honda 2000i will run everything else and weighs much less than the 3000i model.

Suggest you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life"
Should be required reading for all newbies.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 966
Having owned 2 PUPs, and now an A-frame, battery is the first thing to run out when camping without hookups. With the A-frame, I finally wised up and went to a 2 golf cart battery configuration - replacing the single battery box with a long dual battery box on the trailer a-frame. Two GC-2 6V batteries from Costco or Sam's Club will fit there tightly (cost $150 - $160).


You also want to install a battery cutoff switch - PUPs and A-frames don't come with them installed. While in storage, things like your stereo and propane/CO alarm run your battery down (almost to dead in a few weeks). So you probably didn't have a full battery to start with.


Before you leave on a camping trip, plug in the camper for a day or two. Turn the disconnect on to charge the battery, and pre-cool the fridge, running it on AC (controls are accessed from the outside through the fridge vent panels). While towing to the campsite your tow vehicle will maintain the battery charge, even with the fridge on DC. But it won't charge much more than that.


The dual 6V batteries provide us enough power (116AH usable) to run the heater 5hrs/night for 4 nights (assumes batteries are fully charged at start of trip). The inside lights are LED on our 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame, and we rarely use the outside lights or the stereo. Fridge must be run on propane upon arrival at campsite (I do it before disconnecting) - it WILL eat the battery in just a few hours if run on 12V with no external power (I have seen friends do this accidentally). The fridge takes NO battery when running on propane, and cools much better on propane.


Your hot water heater is propane only. It is completely automatic if propane is on, and the switch is on. On my A-frame, the water pump switch is inside the cabinet under the sink, and the hot water heater switch is on the front of one of the dinette seats, very close to the hot water heater which is under the same seat. The converter/electrical panel is also very near the hot water heater and hot water heater switch. And the CO/propane alarm is in that area, too.


hope this helps
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
__________________

__________________
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
newbie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.