Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #1

Newbie needs help

My husband and I just purchased our first pop up (a 2017 Rockwood 2516G). We were die-hard tenters before, so we are clueless when it comes to the new world of pop ups! Not to mention our dealer is not very helpful... We took it out last weekend for the first time and tried things out but realized we didn't know how to use the hot water heater. The manual says there's a switch to turn it on, but we only have a switch for the water PUMP. Are they the same thing? any and all help and advice, and any good info you may have is so very appreciated! Like I said, we're clueless with even the basics! Thanks!!!

Old 05-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #2

Just go to the website for Roberts Sales. Tons of information and tutorials.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #3

Have you opened the outside door to the hot water heater? There should be an on/off switch in that area. This is for electric use. If you have a gas option on it, that switch should be inside.

MAKE SURE THE TANK IS FULL WHEN YOU HIT THE ON SWITCH. If you turn the water heater on when empty, you will burn out the element. Always turn it off when done camping, just in case.

Also, when you winterize at the end of the season, make sure you release the pressure relief valve or you will get a nice shower.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #4

Thanks! I'll check that website... We did open the outside door but there's no switch in there either. Just something that says "pilotless ignition"... So I assume that means it's gas but there's no on/off switch...
Old 05-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
Site Team

If you have a suburban water heater, Open the outside access panel and in the lower left corner of the unit you will see a small black rocker switch. After making sure the WH is full of water, turn it on. CAUTION ; always turn it off when breaking camp as plugging into shore power with it on without water in the WH will burn out the element within seconds.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

Fly bob - it is a suburban... Thanks so much - we'll check for the rocker switch tomorrow when we open her up again!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #7

Switch

The water pump switch is over by power center......across from the bathroom. The hot water heater switch is at the end of the fold down couch across from the sink......about mid way between the floor and the edge of the couch. Make sure you have water in it before you light it off.........there is a pressure relief valve outside that can help vent off the air while filling or just turn on the hot water fawcett until it runs clear with no air coming through the lines. We have the 2014 2516G. One last thing......make sure your valves are turned for use and not in winterizing mode. The handles on the valves are oval shaped......the two going into the tank should be turned so that the long ends run with the tubing........the valve in the middle should be the opposite as in going across the valve to shut it off so water can't pass through it......this is the by-pass valve used during winterization.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #8

Trevor - oh you own a 2515g too!! I may have to pick your brain about other things too if you don't mind! �� So, where you're talking about the hot water switch being, there's a black square panel but no switch on it. Is this actually a door to open? Our dealer we bought the pup from didn't show us any switch...
Old 05-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #9

And thank you SO much for all your help... We've been going crazy trying to figure out this darn heater!!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaWayneScott View Post
Trevor - oh you own a 2515g too!! I may have to pick your brain about other things too if you don't mind! �� So, where you're talking about the hot water switch being, there's a black square panel but no switch on it. Is this actually a door to open? Our dealer we bought the pup from didn't show us any switch...
Thats where our switch is for the hot water heater is.......maybe some things have been moved around in 3 model years. Questions?........ask away.

Tags