Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswiii View Post
Really? The Green toggle switch in the outside panel has to be set to ON for the battery to charge? I thought this panel was just to designate which source ran the refrigerator - 12V, 110, or propane.
that's how i remember our two popups.
there's no such switch to charge the battery that i remember.
you just plug the trailer into shore power and the converter automatically starts charging the battery, along with providing power to the outlets and running the fridge on electric.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #22
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswiii View Post
Thanks GalsofEscape, thank you for the welcome. As far as your comments, that's exactly what I thought I understood. Perhaps that dealer or the PO pulled the battery fuse to disconnect the battery so the carbon monoxide detector wouldn't drain the battery. Is that a fuse in the converter or is that fuse located elsewhere? Also, I should expect that the battery charges through my "light" cable from my tow vehicle, correct?
And Brother Les, I wondered the same thing so I checked the breakers in the power box and they were turned on. I plugged something into the 110 to see if the outlets were working and they were.
Oh, and I just had a thought. It seems like when we were working with the breakers on the converter last night... I turned it off and then I turned it on and then there was humming and then it faded out. I would turn it off again and then back on and I would hear humming and then it would fade out again (after about 5 seconds).
Those symptoms would normally mean

1. You have power to the converter.
2. Sumpting is wrong with it.

A 12volt digital multimeter would tell you if any charge is getting to the battery, but from what you are indicating, I don't think so.

It is not uncommon for the converters to go out and need replacing, they are frequently a weak link in the system. the temp fix is to charge the battery with a decent charger as it will perform the same function as the converter. Then look into replacing the converter with a similar size (amperage ) one that will fit in the space you have.

Good luck
Old 06-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #23

We are newbies and as soon as we got our camper home the next day our battery was dead. I could not figure out why but after reading these post my guess is that the carbon monoxide detectors were the cause.So I am going to look at removing the battery fuse. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
bakermaker04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermaker04 View Post
We are newbies and as soon as we got our camper home the next day our battery was dead. I could not figure out why but after reading these post my guess is that the carbon monoxide detectors were the cause.So I am going to look at removing the battery fuse. Thanks!

the easiest thing to do, is install a battery disconnect switch.
and there are other parasitic power drains other than the CO detector.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermaker04 View Post

Baker maker,

Is your camper new? I agree that installing a disconnect is a good idea, but your battery should not be drained overnight just from the CO detector. There is something wrong, something else on, or a combination of both.
sratliff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags