Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #1

Newbie - Perhaps a dumb question...???

Hi all,
I love that there is a forum with awesome people who can help newbies. I recently bought a Rockwood Freedom 282TXR. My question is this... If I am hooked up to "land power" can it charge my battery? (sorry, I know that's probably a dumb question).
So, my dad says that even when hooked up to land power, the lights run off the battery. The land power only powers the outlets and a few things (like the water pump, heater, etc.)
I don't know the answer actually. So how does one charger the battery if the popup is in the driveway (he uses a battery charger).
Sorry, again, I know these sound like dumb questions. But I would appreciate a mini tutorial on how the AC and DC work and what make what work and I really appreciate the time it would take to explain this to me.
Thanks again,
TS
tswiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

First thing is no question is a dumb question! As far as changing the battery I would disconnect from the shore power first personally. And as far as the battery running most things on shore power I don't know much but I know when I'm on shore power everything seems to run off of that NOT the battery! I know my water pump and furnace will run on battery alone but on shore power I get brighter lights and more water pressure and more air blowing from the furnace vents! Just my .02 cents!!
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #3

Right now my trailer which is nothing like the one you have but works like it is plugged in and the battery is being charged.
Everything but the AC works.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #4

Shore power provides 120 VAC to the converter which converts it to 12 VDC that charges your battery and powers your lights. Your lights are 12 volts and run off your battery when not on shore power. When on shore power they are running off the converter while the converter is also charging your battery.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

^^^ X2.

Good question and feel free to post as these questions arise.

Also, this is a good tutorial on RV power systems that will help explain and educate. 12 Volt Side of Life

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #6

Thank you for all the posts. It's very helpful. I was looking into the converter too but last night (our first outing) we had the popup connected to land power. After some time the lights started to dim (so it looked like the lights were running off 12v) so my dad connected the battery charger to the battery and the lights got bright again. It appeared that the lights were running off battery and so I wondered if they was a "switch" to make the lights run off AC. The breakers in the converter were not off and we checked the fuses and all was fine. I was just curious why the lights dimmed even when we were plugged into land power...
Old 04-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #7

It looks like you may be having a problem with the converter. It should charge the battery when plugged in to shore power.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #8

Okay, thank you. That's what I thought but I just needed assurance that that was correct. Thanks to all.
TS
Old 04-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #9

First of all, welcome to the forum.
The battery maintains its charge when the camper is plugged into shore power. I leave my camper plugged in when at the house to keep the battery charged. If I do not, I will pull the battery fuse to disconnect the battery so the carbon monoxide detector does not drain the battery. The battery is also charged when towing through the 7 pin connector to the tow vehicle as you go down the road.
The water pump, CO detector, and lights run off the battery. If you have a 3 way fridge, it can work from propane, from the battery (DC), or from the shore power(AC). When using propane, it will draw a little from the battery to light the propane. If you have air conditioner you need shore power for that. If you have a microwave, it also runs on shore.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #10

It sounds as if you are not getting 'shore power' to the converter. Are all of the 'Breakers' in the fuse box of the camper flipped on? Can you hear your 'convertor' 'Humming'? Is the 'Breaker' flipped on at the shore power pedestal box? Some places flip them off when the form guest leaves.

The water pump and furnace all run on the 12v battery power.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #11

Thanks GalsofEscape, thank you for the welcome. As far as your comments, that's exactly what I thought I understood. Perhaps that dealer or the PO pulled the battery fuse to disconnect the battery so the carbon monoxide detector wouldn't drain the battery. Is that a fuse in the converter or is that fuse located elsewhere? Also, I should expect that the battery charges through my "light" cable from my tow vehicle, correct?
And Brother Les, I wondered the same thing so I checked the breakers in the power box and they were turned on. I plugged something into the 110 to see if the outlets were working and they were.
Oh, and I just had a thought. It seems like when we were working with the breakers on the converter last night... I turned it off and then I turned it on and then there was humming and then it faded out. I would turn it off again and then back on and I would hear humming and then it would fade out again (after about 5 seconds).
Old 04-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerpa View Post
First thing is no question is a dumb question! As far as changing the battery I would disconnect from the shore power first personally. And as far as the battery running most things on shore power I don't know much but I know when I'm on shore power everything seems to run off of that NOT the battery! I know my water pump and furnace will run on battery alone but on shore power I get brighter lights and more water pressure and more air blowing from the furnace vents! Just my .02 cents!!
Ditto! Questions are always welcome so please do ask away.

PS
Welcome to the Forest River Forums too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Plug into the shore power and it a) charges the batteries and b) powers the converter to run the DC as well as the AC outlets.

We have a Hemisphere 282RK, it has 1 bank of fuses for the DC and 1 bank of breakers for the AC. Check to make sure all your breakers and fuses are good.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #14

If it is anything like mine, the battery fuse is near the battery in the wiring, it is in a little black case. It is not in the fuse panel. Mine is a 30 amp blade fuse.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Site Team

it might help if you posted if this is a used unit or new.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #16

Yeah, sorry. It's a 2010 Rockwood 282TXR. The PO were an older couple who traded it in for a nice motor home. I can tell by the cassette toilet that it was never used and the condition of it tells me it was out just a couple of times as the condition of everything is like new. Thank you.

GalsofEscape, I do have a fuse box like that on my battery but didn't think to look at those. I'll have to check. Thank you!!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:50 AM   #17

On my Rockwood PUP, there is an outside panel that has two switches. The red one is for 12v power when on, and it will chill the fridge on the road. When I get to the CG, I switch off the 12v and then switch on the green 110v. This one is for shore power and will charge the battery while running everything else.
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #18

Really? The Green toggle switch in the outside panel has to be set to ON for the battery to charge? I thought this panel was just to designate which source ran the refrigerator - 12V, 110, or propane.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangdn View Post
On my Rockwood PUP, there is an outside panel that has two switches. The red one is for 12v power when on, and it will chill the fridge on the road. When I get to the CG, I switch off the 12v and then switch on the green 110v. This one is for shore power and will charge the battery while running everything else.
I always thought RV refers used either 110V shore power or the propane system (when on the road) to chill the refer.

I have heard about the so-called 3-way refers (110v/12V/Propane) but I believe there are limits on how long you should stay on 12V without fear of draining your battery (which would suck if you were dry camping and expecting the battery to power the water pump and lights )

BTW...refer tip: always pre-chill your refer a day before you pack out and load your refer with items that have been pre-chilled in the home refer
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswiii View Post
Really? The Green toggle switch in the outside panel has to be set to ON for the battery to charge? I thought this panel was just to designate which source ran the refrigerator - 12V, 110, or propane.
You are correct.....those switches only control which electrical source is powering the refrigerator, Red for DC and Green for AC.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags