Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #11

Oh, I also swapped out the adapter for a new when, no dice. It has to have something to do with the harness I guess.

Totally new to this pop up camping thing....
D Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #12

The bare plug is the ground(-). Check it versus the hitch, bumper, any metal that is connected to the frame. If you don't have continuity start with emery paper, pull ground connectors and reattach. With 12V systems it is almost always ground problems. If the 1/2 volt is ground to positive connection on the TV plug it is a good indication of poor ground.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Porter View Post
Alright,
I ran a wire from the positive side of the trailer battery and connected it to each prong of the trailer connector. Bingo, we had power to each light when connected. So the issue is indeed with the TV. The inline fuse off the TV battery is good. Got any other tips?
Thanks for the idea jeeplj8.
I'm thinking since each lamp worked with substitute power supply, and each lamp type is powered by different sources of the TV, the only remaining common denominator is the vehicle to trailer ground connection. Either the plug is defective at the connector or where the TV socket is grounded.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #14

Ok, I just went out and checked the bare plug and it looks like it just came out of the package, zero corrosion.
I also looked at where the TV system is grounded. It's on the interior of the vehicle and looks good too.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Ok, I just went out and checked the bare plug and it looks like it just came out of the package, zero corrosion.
I also looked at where the TV system is grounded. It's on the interior of the vehicle and looks good too.
I'm thinking you really need to "ring" these circuits out with a ohm meter or voltage checks. Its difficult to "see" wiring connections when they go out of sight. Wire can chafe and ground, open or melt. You just don't know it's good. Otherwise you have one heck of a mystery!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #16

For what it's worth, this is the process I used to install it. It may give you some better insight as to how this my system works.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #17

It appears that a rusty ball hitch was at the root of the problem. Is that possible? I'll spare you the details but after a pretty exhaustive process of elimination and a bit of luck/ coincidence, that seems to be the common denominator.
The lights literally flickered to life as I was moving the trailer to a different parking spot.

How about that.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
It appears that a rusty ball hitch was at the root of the problem. Is that possible? I'll spare you the details but after a pretty exhaustive process of elimination and a bit of luck/ coincidence, that seems to be the common denominator.
The lights literally flickered to life as I was moving the trailer to a different parking spot.

How about that.
You have to run a separate ground from the tv plug to a chassis ground. It will not ground consistently thru the ball.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #19

Yeah, I have the TV system grounded on the interior of the TV as shown in the video.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #20

Does the fact that the TV and PU need to be connected via the ball hitch indicate another issue?