Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #1

Opinions wanted for a Flagstaff Micro 21FBRS

So, it has only been a single camping season since we bought our pup; but the DW and I are very much considering moving up so a TT. Under normal settings set up and tear down is fine; but in the rain we would like to be able to hitch and drive. The biggest driving factor is the "need" for storage and the want to be able to pack before we go.

We are looking very closely at the Micro Lite 21FBRS. Our TV has a GCVW of 12,000. I am confident that our truck will have no prob towing and still have some wiggle room.

My search for opinions is this: What options could you not live without and or wish you did or did not add.

Power tongue? Power Awning? Awning Slide Topper?

Thank you in advance!
Zambolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #2

Think your post might have ended up in the wrong section?

We traded up from a popup to a hybrid - more storage, can load/unload anytime without setting it up. As for packing in the rain - doesn't happen that often and we keep the trailer in the yard, so if the canvas is wet I just open the bunks when we get home. Takes about 2 minutes. Let it dry, fold it up the next day - takes maybe 10 minutes. Not a big to deal to me in exchange for the extra space we gain with the bunk ends. But we like the canvas - not everytbody does.

If you do upgrade, get the power tongue jack for sure. I like the power awning, and the slide topper is nice for keeping leaves and water off the slide. Otherwise you either have to clean it off before closing, or you get it caught on the seal or with water, it comes in under the seal when closing.

Last thing - the GCWR is almost always the last spec that you max out when towing. I would be checking the availble payload of the vehicle and comparing that the weight of fuel, gear and people in the tv, the tongue weight of the loaded trailer, and the weight of the hitch itself. That is the number that is most likely to be an issue on most tv's. Your tv may have a maximum amount of front surface area.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

We have the Rockwood MiniLite 2109S - twin to the MicroLite 21FBRS. We have had it for 2 years and are very satisfied with it. Ours came from the dealer with the stove, TV/entertainment system, power awning. We added the slide topper, power jack, and MaxxAir covers for both the bathroom Fantastic Fan and over-bed vent, as well as a 2-inch mattress topper and a 30-amp surge protecter. We have used everything and are very satisfied. Very few interior mods - added a 5 by 7 rug (no problem with the slide), fixed the over-the bed front curtain so it is attached to the window and not hanging over our faces, and a cover for the TV as the light at the bottom at night is brighter than we like. Am in the process of making a mod for the shower - a hanging soap/shampoo holder that will hang on Command hooks positioned for easy reach and a wash cloth hanger (2 button holes and Command hooks).

We find ourselves leaving more in the trailer for prep ease for each trip.

Your TV is probably excellent and maybe some overkill for towing this trailer.

Best wishes for your decision!
Useta have a 17 ft Casita LD twin bed mod &
Coleman pop up
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Think your post might have ended up in the wrong section?
I will see if I can find a mod to move this to an appropriate sub heading. I suppose I should read closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Last thing - the GCWR is almost always the last spec that you max out when towing. I would be checking the availble payload of the vehicle and comparing that the weight of fuel, gear and people in the tv, the tongue weight of the loaded trailer, and the weight of the hitch itself. That is the number that is most likely to be an issue on most tv's. Your tv may have a maximum amount of front surface area.
Just when I think I have the code broke for determining what I can tow.... Thank you for the advice. I will double check my figures.

Thank you NanaKaren. It is hard to know what we'll wish we had added. I am sure all of it can be added after we purchase; but I would rather be camping than moding.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

1. Power tongue without a doubt, 2. power awnings (inside roll-up if raining) next and then 3. slide topper. In that order
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #6

I would like to add my thanks to all the advice as well. I'm the wife. I think I will go take a look at Rockwood MiniLite 2109S if it is a twin to the one we are looking at. We are trying to check out different models. Thanks.
Lucrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Site Team

moved to correct sub-forum
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
want a Cat 293REX

We have a 2013 21fbrs with no power jack or awning and we do not find any problems. Good idea for the Maxx vents and we bought the insuladed cover for the window over the bed. Good idea for the curtain also. We love it!

Good luck!
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #9

I'm a light sleeper so we added day/night shades. It was much better than without, but still not enough. I cut pieces of foil light blocking material for each window.

We have an oven, but have never used it in this or any other RV we've owned.

Power jack is a must. Life is much simplified, especially in this rain. I would also recommend an Equal-I-Zer hitch. Max Air vent covers are not too expensive and will be appreciated when it rains and you've gone fishing with the vent open. The slide topper is also a great convenience. I wouldn't have another RV without one.

Good luck. This is a great unit for one or two people.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #10

I have the Mini Lite 2109S also. I do not have the power jack or power awning and like boatless, I have had no problems. I do a lot of boondocking and do not want to rely on electricity if I don't need to. One of the first things I added was the Perfect Harmony mattress topper. Makes the bed much more comfortable. I put Fantastic vent covers on both vents. As 00buck said, this is a nice unit for two people.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #11

I am just about to trade my 1 year old 21FBRS on a 25DS. The shower on the 21 just doesn't cut it. It is very easy for water to come out all over the floor. The 25 is just enough bigger, with more storage but barely heavier. I am towing with a low spec F150 and almost maxed out the GCWR (see thread below). The 25 adds 200 lbs for very little more cost but adds a much better bathroom, a closet and a dinette. But if you want the 21, it is a great little camper. I have spent over 25 nights in mine in just under a year and have really enjoyed it. I have a power awning but not the tongue jack. Would really like a power tongue jack. I don't have a slide topper but will probably get one for the 25. Good luck and have fun.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ler-58606.html
Old 04-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #12

Thank you all for the replies!

My wife and I are going in on Saturday to do a PDI and go out for a close by shakedown trip on Saturday! Forecast calls for a chance of rain; but we don't care 'cause we don't have to fold down and set up at home to dry out anymore!!

Now I have to find the right leveling system for us... Time for some toy searches.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #13

I bought a 21fbrs last month. Has power awning, slide topper, but no power tongue jack. Doesn't take much to crank it up. I tow it with a Nissan Frontier with no problems. Added shower splash guards to prevent the water from getting out of the shower. I absolutely love it compared to the old truck camper I had years ago. Power awning works on battery power. I added an equalizer hitch.
gmills60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #14

The only recommendation I have is that if you are adding a tongue jack, go with a Barker. They are made in the USA and are MUCH more reliable (from what I read) than the el-cheapo jack the manufacturers typically install. They include a handle to manually raise and lower them if necessary.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #15

We just bought a 2015 Rockwood Signature 8310SS Diamond Package.
It had the electric tongue jack and stabilizers. I had them removed from the deal and replaced by manual one + one extra set of stabilizers in front of the axle.
I prefer setting it up manually myself...seen to many people at CG fighting over them.
We have the electric awning enclosed though and slide toppers as well.
The inside is with every option available...except for the stainless appliances wich we don't like.
MaxAir vent covers on every roof vents is a very good option to have also and last but not least... second year warranty for 150$
Black
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #16

I wouldn't want the power stab jacks. I carry a cordless drill and can run them down much faster with no worries of having to replace expensive motors.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #17

Thank you for the reminder, Black! We fully intend to pick up the second year warranty and hopefully have them add on the MaxAir vent covers.

We ended up on some of the options. We did not choose the Stainless steel aps either. The salesman talked us out of the slide out topper. He said it causes grief for a lot of his customers because of ripping and wrinkles. I figure that is something we can add later if we decide we missed out on it. Ours does not come with an oven; but we mainly grill out anyway.

We did have them add the power tongue jack and they will install a WDH on our TV Saturday while we're doing the PDI.

Dustman: I do the same thing with our stab jacks too. I don't know what brand they are installing. the jack was only $100 so I am not out much of it does not workout for my taste. I guess I made an assumption that there would be a manual feature if the motor does not work... Hmmmm

Just an added bonus.. the model that we looked at ended up being the 2015. Same stuff/price; but it looks better on paper if we need to trade it in...
Old 04-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #18
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambolie View Post
Thank you all for the replies!

My wife and I are going in on Saturday to do a PDI and go out for a close by shakedown trip on Saturday! Forecast calls for a chance of rain; but we don't care 'cause we don't have to fold down and set up at home to dry out anymore!!

Now I have to find the right leveling system for us... Time for some toy searches.
Take a look at these . I've used the legos for years, but these babies are my next purchase.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #19

Yes! I have seen those on the forums here. They do look awesome! I am a little leery though because of some of the reviews from people who have the same wheel config I do that say you have to trim the end of one to get it between the wheels. @ $50 a pop, I have to think more about possibly having cool toys that have to stay in the box... I am HOPING that maybe the dealer will carry some and I can see if I like the way they work.

I will have to use my legos this weekend; but it'll do me some good to see what I am missing out on. We are just now moving up from a pup with a single axle so I was able to use the BAL leveler
Old 04-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #20
DW's 401(k) Plan

Yeah, I've read about the trimming of the one leveler which would go between the two tires. But, to me, that would be a small price to pay in order to make things easier to level the trailer.

Ah yes, the pop-up. I was thinking of getting the BAL leveler for our pop-up just before we made the switch to our Roo 23SS. Strange how some of the toys change between types of units,

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff