Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Outside grill extension??

Hi group. I'm a new forum member. Just bought a 2006 Rockwood 2318G Freedom popup. Was cruising Craig's List and there it was. Very happy with it. I've already been asked if it is new!

I have a question regarding the grill that can be mounted on the side of the camper. Do many if you use it there? My concern is that smoke etc can/will enter the camper and stink it up, especially if the awning is deployed. Is it possible to attach an extension propane hose from the connection at the camper and then set the grill on a table away from the camper?

Interesting side note..... Both the stove and grill for this camper are brand new. Never been used.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff Orear
Peshtigo, WI
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #2

Grill is probably brand new because they were junk. The company went out of business several years ago. From what I have read they are extremely poor quality. You will be far better off going out and buying a portable gas grill and setting it up over on the picnic table.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Grill is probably brand new because they were junk. The company went out of business several years ago. From what I have read they are extremely poor quality. You will be far better off going out and buying a portable gas grill and setting it up over on the picnic table.
Thanks Donn, I was thinking that could be a reason for it being new. I haven't even taken it out of it's bag yet.
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #4

We use the grill that attaches to our camper and have been very happy with it. We've cooked steaks and hotdogs/hamburgers. I don't think you will have a smoke problem unless you have all the windows zipped open.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
I purchased the original RVQ last year in a yard sale for $5. still in the box. It had been used 2 times and the couple sold their trailer but forgot about the RVQ.
We used it last weekend (long weekend in Canada) and it worked perfectly. I had it set on a table top beside the trailer with a 10 foot quick disconnect purchased from the RV dealer locally.

The RVQ2 was a junk product but the original line was a solidly built unit.

and yes you can set it up on a table with a longer propane line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	14390  
Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #6

Had a popup with outside grill and used for three years with no smoke or odor intrusion to inside. Would have been nice to add a home built table to hold grill implements, etc., but never got around to it.
rmdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

We just ordered our new camper this week. We left off the outside grill. Out thoughts would be that we didn't want to have clean the food/grease splatters off the side of our trailer or getting it too hot and somehow melting the side. Anybody have a problem with that? We often cook over the fire in cast iron anyway and don't want the weight hanging on the side of the camper. We use to take a small table grill from the box stores with us, but for some reason stopped that too.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #8

No splatter, no fires. The lid of the grill contains the splatters, and I've never had a grease fire on a gas grill although on the weber at home there can be flare-ups in which case I just move the meat to a different place on the grill. I found it very convenient to run the outside grill with less concern about running out of gas too. New used trailer we just bought did not come so equipped, and we are now going to use a table top model.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
We have used RVQ for 5 winters in FL for 2-3 months at a time and have never had grease spatters or any known adverse effects to the trailer or awning. It is small, but just the right size for the DW and myself. I don't think they are junk, but they are light weight, but we don't have to lug around dirty charcoal and lighter fluid and dispose of ashes, etc. If our new one shoots craps, I will definitely buy another.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #10

The 500 model came with with our camper. it's only about six-month-old. We've used it several times and not had any problems we really like it.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #11

The grill that came with my camper is sitting in the basement and that is where it will stay. Have been using a Weber Baby Q grill for the past 4 years and is the best grill I have had.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
The grill that came with my camper is sitting in the basement and that is where it will stay. Have been using a Weber Baby Q grill for the past 4 years and is the best grill I have had.
Would you consider selling it?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #13

We had a ppp up for a couple of years and did ALL our cooking on the outside grill. No cooking inside the PU as this seemed less safe. Had no problems.

Now that we have a TT we still prefer to cook on outside grill as much as possible. In fact, we have a table where we also use a portable electric skillet & coffee maker.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #14

Completely understand: just the two of us and the attached grill was adequate if slower than I imagine the Weber you reference. I also have a 30 year old Coleman stove and do a lot of cooking on it as well since I'm not real crazy about cooking odors in the enclosed space of the trailer. Since new/used trailer does not have an attached grill, I will be using the Weber "Go-Anywhere" I just bought for $50.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #15

I bought a 10 ft extension hose at my dealer and use the grill on a table away from the camper. Call me silly or paranoid but smoke, grease, high heat and flames seem a bad mix 2 inches off a fiberglass and canvas trailer I wish to keep.

Just my opinion
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #16

Opinion is valid: can never be too safe.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #17
Site Team

I've been pondering this topic for several months. I wouldn't mind using the grill setup on the trailer but also concerned about the downsides. Do I buy a RV grill or table top grill?

Yesterday while dropping off my trailer I was talking with the finance manager when he asked if I ever used the grill rack. While waiting for me to answer he took a drink of his coffee at the same time I asked if RV grills were decent or not. The poor guy chocked on his coffee so I guess I got my answer.

If it works for you why not use it? I'm not at the point that I would get my value out of a grill, RV or tabletop. Hopefully someday that will change.

(To be honest I wouldn't mind having an RV grill )

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #18

I don't think I've see anyone else grilling on an RV grill other than me, and we camped around 25 days last year. As I stated in a previous post, I'm sure you can get a much better grill with a tabletop or on a stand. On the other hand, they are all functionally the same unless you haul a backyard size into the wilderness. I don't really care if I grill next to the trailer or on the picnic table--the steaks taste the same and the bottle of Shiraz just as good.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #19

We use ur RV queue grill on the side rack quite a bit. Have modified it simply with a Caphalon cast iron griddle/grill reversible plate that sits right on the grill racks ( we used a bolt cutter to remove the upper level of that rack )

We've made breakfast, lunch and dinner very easily, with only the cast iron plate to clean (the grill itself has never seen any food on it, so we never have to clean it which is the big plus for us )

I don't want another grill to carry, we carry enough stuff and are trying to simplify so making use of the grill that plugs into our high pressure line is great.

I modified the table that attaches next to it on the camper side by moving the hardware to a large size bamboo cutting board, this gets rid of the cheap Formica/particle board table with something more functional and durable.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
the grill that plugs into our high pressure line is great.

I think you mean the low pressure line, it is between 10" & 11" wg which is very low, about 5.8 psi-6.4 psi respectively.