Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #1

Outside grill extension??

Hi group. I'm a new forum member. Just bought a 2006 Rockwood 2318G Freedom popup. Was cruising Craig's List and there it was. Very happy with it. I've already been asked if it is new!

I have a question regarding the grill that can be mounted on the side of the camper. Do many if you use it there? My concern is that smoke etc can/will enter the camper and stink it up, especially if the awning is deployed. Is it possible to attach an extension propane hose from the connection at the camper and then set the grill on a table away from the camper?

Interesting side note..... Both the stove and grill for this camper are brand new. Never been used.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff Orear
Peshtigo, WI

Old 05-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #2

Grill is probably brand new because they were junk. The company went out of business several years ago. From what I have read they are extremely poor quality. You will be far better off going out and buying a portable gas grill and setting it up over on the picnic table.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Grill is probably brand new because they were junk. The company went out of business several years ago. From what I have read they are extremely poor quality. You will be far better off going out and buying a portable gas grill and setting it up over on the picnic table.
Thanks Donn, I was thinking that could be a reason for it being new. I haven't even taken it out of it's bag yet.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

We use the grill that attaches to our camper and have been very happy with it. We've cooked steaks and hotdogs/hamburgers. I don't think you will have a smoke problem unless you have all the windows zipped open.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
I purchased the original RVQ last year in a yard sale for $5. still in the box. It had been used 2 times and the couple sold their trailer but forgot about the RVQ.
We used it last weekend (long weekend in Canada) and it worked perfectly. I had it set on a table top beside the trailer with a 10 foot quick disconnect purchased from the RV dealer locally.

The RVQ2 was a junk product but the original line was a solidly built unit.

and yes you can set it up on a table with a longer propane line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	14390  
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #6

Had a popup with outside grill and used for three years with no smoke or odor intrusion to inside. Would have been nice to add a home built table to hold grill implements, etc., but never got around to it.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

We just ordered our new camper this week. We left off the outside grill. Out thoughts would be that we didn't want to have clean the food/grease splatters off the side of our trailer or getting it too hot and somehow melting the side. Anybody have a problem with that? We often cook over the fire in cast iron anyway and don't want the weight hanging on the side of the camper. We use to take a small table grill from the box stores with us, but for some reason stopped that too.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #8

No splatter, no fires. The lid of the grill contains the splatters, and I've never had a grease fire on a gas grill although on the weber at home there can be flare-ups in which case I just move the meat to a different place on the grill. I found it very convenient to run the outside grill with less concern about running out of gas too. New used trailer we just bought did not come so equipped, and we are now going to use a table top model.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
We have used RVQ for 5 winters in FL for 2-3 months at a time and have never had grease spatters or any known adverse effects to the trailer or awning. It is small, but just the right size for the DW and myself. I don't think they are junk, but they are light weight, but we don't have to lug around dirty charcoal and lighter fluid and dispose of ashes, etc. If our new one shoots craps, I will definitely buy another.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #10

The 500 model came with with our camper. it's only about six-month-old. We've used it several times and not had any problems we really like it.

Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote