Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2015, 12:42 AM   #1
God Mode

Photos of Batteries? 1904 or Flagstaff 620ST

Looking to see what batteries fit on the hitch. It looks like there are many configurations. I want to get something better than the cheap one the dealer installed.

I'm also looking for ideas of how people have setup/mounted cutout switches.
maxters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #2

If you can afford the tongue weight, you can normally fit at least 2 size 24 12V or 2 golf cart 6V batteries lengthwise across the a-frame of an A-frame or PUP. My dual battery box has an inside length of 22", and an inside width of 7". It just fits inside the a-frame behind the dual propane tanks. There are a pair of metal rails that support the battery box that run across the a-frame. I'm not sure whether the rails were standard from the factory or added by the dealer, as I bought dual batteries as part of the deal on my Rockwood A122.

I had learned dry camping with our 2000 Coleman Westlake PUP that the single size 27 battery was my first resource (propane, water, food, electric) to run out. When we bought the A-frame, we wanted to be able to dry camp for 4 nights in the Colorado Rockies for 3 seasons (winter, too if no snow at campground). Heater set to 55 at night (27+ degrees), minimal other use of battery. With the dual GC batteries, battery runs out about when water does. Depending on heater use, I can go a week or more on the batteries.

As I said, tongue weight is often an issue for PUPs and A-frames. You are adding another 60-80lbs of tongue weight for the 2nd battery. I use an Equalizer E2 600/6000 to tow with my Hyundai Entourage minivan to resolve any tongue weight, rear end sag, and sway issues.

I have learned the hard way that two 6V batteries have more capacity, and last longer than comparably-priced 12V batteries. The 6V batteries are slightly taller and weigh more than most 12V. I bought my golf cart batteries at Costco for $150 for the pair. The 6V are rated at 232 AH, the dual 12V marine/deep cycle were rated at 170AH (85AH each). Of course, only half of that is usable without destroying the batteries.

I would also add a shut-off switch for whatever dual battery configuration you use. It makes life a lot easier when storing between trips to just shut off the batteries. My shut-off switch is a marine dual battery switch mounted to the end of the battery box.

If I can figure out to post pictures on this site, I will upload photos of my installation.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
God Mode

Thanks for the great response. I think I need to find out my tongue weight. I'm pulling it with a Honda Odyssey van and while the trailer is about 2500 and the Ody is capable of 3500, I need to see how close I am to the 300 (or is it 350max) on the tongue.

I'd like to go with the 6V batteries but I have 2 propane tanks sitting up there with it, so it's all about the weight. Especially since the 1904 that I have has the box on the front. I may need to redistribute some weight.
maxters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #4

If your actual (measured) tongue weight is over 250lbs, I would strongly recommend (based on my experiences) getting a WDH/anti-sway for your Odyssey/PUP combo.

My previous rig - 1993 Ford Explorer/2000 Coleman Westlake PUP - was not a fun tow at all. The tongue weight caused the rear end of the Explorer to sag, the Explorer to be light on the front wheels for twitchy steering, and the rig would sway anytime I got above 62 MPH. No fun at all on the tow up I-80 from Novato to Lake Tahoe (or back down)!

When we got back into camping 18 months ago (now in Colorado Springs, Colorado), I wanted a camper for long weekends that could be easily and comfortably towed by our Hyundai Entourage (minivan). We ended up with an A-frame for the very quick setup and take-down compared to a 10ft box PUP, although I miss the expanse of windows and floor space of the PUP.

Taking delivery of our 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame, the test drive on the dealer's lot revealed uncomfortable porpoising of both camper and minivan. The dealer and I discussed and decided on the Equalizer E2 WDH/anti-sway. He installed for $380. The difference in ride is incredible. Towing with the E2, the van drives and rides very close to stock - comfortably enough that my wife will spell me driving for several hours, even in 35 MPH Colorado/Nebraska cross-winds. I could not believe the difference. The WDH adds about 5 minutes to hitch-up times, but I'm OK with it due to the security while towing.

Although I normally tow at 65 - 68 MPH on the interstates, I have taken it up to 77 MPH in cross-winds to check for sway. None found.

Fred W
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, battery