Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #41

btw. What kind of tires did they stick on your rig? They any good? I was happy with the Carlyle tires on my 2006 pup.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Ok. great. One last pain in the ass question. How wide is the door?

The new HW's no longer have the large sliding front bin. I have a large Rubbermaid bin that I want to use in its place. Wondering if it will fit thru the door.

Rubbermaid 54 gal. Roughneck Hi-Top Tote-FG3A05H2MICBL at The Home Depot

Hoping to place it right in front of the couch. Two would be fantastic if I could fit it. That way all MY stuff will be in the bins and the inside storage can be used for HER stuff.

Vin.

Vin,

I took possession of my HW277 this June, here is some stuff you may want to start thinking about:

1) the trailer is pretty drafty at the bunk ends, vents for grey/black tanks, and around the slide out. So far I put duct tape where the plastic bar attaches the tent to the bunks, but I'm thinking about adding the metal HVAC tape on top of this and inside the bunk slide at the wood/frame interface. The cut outs on the side walls for the grey/black vents are rather large and not completely sealed. I'm not sure if Dicor, Silicone, or caulk is appropriate here. On the slide, the Velcro bar is drafty underneath due to screw heads... not sure if I should put Dicor or foam insulation tape under the Velcro.

2) the storage tube on the bottom is wide enough to fit Rhinoflex and it's fittings but not long enough to fit 25 feet of it. You can buy longer OEM tubes at dwincorp.com

3) my unit didn't have 12 volt receptacles inside, I'm working on this now

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 08-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #43

Hey Billy. lol. Yes. Pop ups are drafty.

The grey/black vents are gonna be new to me. I have seen one on the exterior of a HW296 that I see on the toilet side. I thought that was for the black tank alone. Are there vents for the grey as well? My HW256 had a grey tank but did not have a vent.

I do not quite follow the "plastic bar" that attaches the tent to the bunks.

Yes. My HW256 had the openings around the slide out. I sure noticed it during Columbus day weekend with the temps hit 30. I can feel the cold coming in under the dinette.

Does the sewer hose pipe extend to the full width of the camper? I just figured it went from one side to the next to allow access on both sides. I need to learn this whole black tank, hose, fitting stuff. But the sewer hoses look accordion type where they can be stored more compact and then stretched if needed. Is a 15' sewer hose 15' long stored? I would think it should be shorter. Like 10' maybe.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
Old 08-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Hey Billy. lol. Yes. Pop ups are drafty.

The grey/black vents are gonna be new to me. I have seen one on the exterior of a HW296 that I see on the toilet side. I thought that was for the black tank alone. Are there vents for the grey as well? My HW256 had a grey tank but did not have a vent.

I do not quite follow the "plastic bar" that attaches the tent to the bunks.

Yes. My HW256 had the openings around the slide out. I sure noticed it during Columbus day weekend with the temps hit 30. I can feel the cold coming in under the dinette.

Does the sewer hose pipe extend to the full width of the camper? I just figured it went from one side to the next to allow access on both sides. I need to learn this whole black tank, hose, fitting stuff. But the sewer hoses look accordion type where they can be stored more compact and then stretched if needed. Is a 15' sewer hose 15' long stored? I would think it should be shorter. Like 10' maybe.

Vin.

Vin,

For my unit on the toilet side of the trailer there is a black water vent on the side wall and black water vent on the roof. I replaced my roof vent with a Camco cyclone (proper plumbing parts were hard to find).

On the opposite side of the trailer I have fresh water vent and gray water vents. The fresh water vent is small and built into the hardware where the hose goes into. The gray water vent is on the wall roughly behind the sink.

At the very end of the bunk end the tent is nicely sewn to a plastic bar. This bar is loosely attached to the metal/wood bed slide by a screw every 18 inches. When you are underneath the bed and look up the gap is obvious.

On the slide, the Velcro is nicely attached to the canvas. On the perimeter of the slide walls is a rigid Velcro strip for attachment. This rigid Velcro strip is not flush to the slide hard walls as there are screws underneath. This gap is pretty bad and I'm still thinking about how to fix this.

I have 15" and 10" lengths of Rhinoflex. I'm new to this product so I'm guesstimating the 15" length is about 3" when compressed. The storage tube under the trailer is not the whole width of the trailer, it's about 6-8 inches short on each side. The storage tube has doors where suit case style pad locks can be used. This may be a good place for fishing poles, rolled up rug, etc. A slightly different OEM replacement that is the proper width is about $57 with free delivery.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #45

My understanding is the shower/grey tank have a vent on the (driverside) and the sink has a vent on the (passenger side) the black tanks vent is on the roof.

I can fit 20' of valterra hose compressed of coarse. Doesnt fit the 90 end that is for the dump pipe.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
My understanding is the shower/grey tank have a vent on the (driverside) and the sink has a vent on the (passenger side) the black tanks vent is on the roof.

I can fit 20' of valterra hose compressed of coarse. Doesnt fit the 90 end that is for the dump pipe.

Kinma,

I believe you are correct. I apologize for the misinformation. I'm pretty sure the gray "tank" is actually two gray tanks plumbed together. Either way I have a loosely cut hole on each side wall that needs filling? Would you suggest Dicor, silicone, caulking, or "right stuff" spray insulation?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 AM   #47

pill billy i have a hw276 not sure how different but yes your correct too my has 2 grey tanks that are plumbed together. i dont have a gap by the vent my vent has clear silicone around them. might take pictures of what your exactly talking about and im sure someone can help answer this better. im concerned with insects (bees) building anything in the vents. i installed screen covers over the heat ports and fridge vents and the water heater cover but they dont make anything for the vents. what keeps insects out of those?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
pill billy i have a hw276 not sure how different but yes your correct too my has 2 grey tanks that are plumbed together. i dont have a gap by the vent my vent has clear silicone around them. might take pictures of what your exactly talking about and im sure someone can help answer this better. im concerned with insects (bees) building anything in the vents. i installed screen covers over the heat ports and fridge vents and the water heater cover but they dont make anything for the vents. what keeps insects out of those?

My unit is all folded down now but from the inside kitchen cabinet you can see a gap about 1/3" between the wall and vent shroud.

I purchased the camco water heater screen but am having a hard time finding the proper size fridge one (already purchased the wrong size from a camping world that is too far to drive back and return). What did you use for the fridge and water heater screens?

For the gray water air vents I was thinking about looking to see how the tubing and vents are interconnected. They are most likely compression fut and if so, cut to fit a small piece of screen material meant for a home window and put that in between the tube/vent.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #49

I see the vents now. I did not notice the vent on the door side. Yeah. Those look like bee/wasp heaven. Definitely gonna plug that thing up some how. Wonder is steel wool stuffed up there would work. Might be enough friction tension to keep it in.

I have seen the water heater bug screens and fridge screens. They look really nice. Never had them on my old pop. Never had a problem with bugs.

I understand now Billy. I had those same gaps on my old pup as well. I never ended up fixing them.

lol. Gonna seem strange to have a pop up with a flexible black vent pipe going up along the side to the roof vent. I saw how it tucks into its own tent section cover. I wonder how or if by cassette toilet vented. ???

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #50

Congratulations! We got our 296 this spring and absolutely love it. Still figuring out a few things but extremely happy with our choice! Hope you love yours as well.

Tags
hw296, rockwood, pop up