Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 12:01 AM   #81

With dual wheels it is as simple as just backing the trailer up on two boards. I use two 2 x 6s and stagger the top one back about a foot. Just back the low side onto the boards until level. I can't remember not finding the spot that the three inches wasn't enough. This method will take you from zero to three inches depending on how far back you go. I am very happy with our 296. I am very happy with how much room we have inside this pup. Much more spacious then our 27' Prowler.
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #82

I've owned my HW296 since July 2010 and tow with a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD Crew Cab, 4WD, 6.0L V8, 6 speed Allison tranny and 3:73 differentials. I have also replaced the normal air filter with a K&N OEM air filter. I use a Reese Weght Distributing Adjustable Ball Mount assembly Cat. # 54970 with no trunion bars or sway controls that I used when we had a Fleetwood 32' Quad Bunkhouse Travel Trailer. Ialso use an electric brake controller. I get around 22 mpg going 70-72 mph having no sway problems in tow/haul mode. I can go 150 miles (1/2 a tank of gas) before I stop to fill up. I've had a policy when I travel (towing or not) not to exceed half a tank. When I tow this thing my truck doesn't even know it's behind it.
Silverado LT Crew Cab 6.0L V8 W/3:73
2023 Rockwood Surveyer Legend 19MDBLE;
Chunky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Billy View Post
Haha I'm looking to trade my HW277 for a Roo 233DS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I looked long and hard at the HW296 and I was going to get one until a friend with his 21ss Roo said what happens if you are trying to open or close your 296 and it is pouring rain. Then I though about it and as much as I love the 196 I went for the Roo23ikss, sometimes wondering what life would be like with a 296 🤔

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #84

Wicked1. I have the hw276 love it but yes it can be a pain if it's raining. We are thinking to go to the roo also but the current tv won't tow it. We ve closed it in rain and just had to open it the next day at home. Which we were going to do to clean it anyways.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #85

I also contemplated being in all sizes of pups for year and as a kid with my parents but I'm actually selling mine to buy a trailmanor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Popupbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #86

The first night we had ours it was raining. It was not a problem setting it up other then getting rained on. The pup stayed dry inside. I wasn't outside much longer than leveling my travel trailer. I have had various sizes of trailers over the years. They all had there good points. The 296 is so big and well laid out it works for us. And it sure is nice to tow.

The main advantage for me with a travel trailer is I can pull over and climb in and go to sleep.
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hw296, rockwood, pop up