Old 05-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #1

Pilot Light

Ok newbie time....used my camper a few times last year and tthen had to pack it away for the long cold winter. Dewinterizing this weekend. got all the water and electrical systems up and running and now its time to turn to the gas!!!!!! lighting the pilot lights!!!!! Please feel free to correct me at any time. no worries, I would never be offended. I have a 2318g and i believe their are two pilot lights that need to be lit. one for the refrigerator and one for the hot water heater. The one for the fridge seems pretty straight forward since its got buttons. The one for the hot water however has me puzzled. I cannot find the pilot button, or any knobs in the area to press, push, or turn pic to follow also, i never remember lighting any pilot light before and we stayed in the cold new hampshire nights last fall with the heater blasting. does this mean the pilot was already lit. the books say not to travel with the pilot light lit and the gas shut off. which makes sense to me and all the other drivers out there..... which tells me the pilot would need to be lit at each camping location......im very confused over what seems like a very simple thing.......damn im getting old, glad im retired and love camping.......

Old 05-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Just so you know, the majority of RVers, travel with the FRIDGE lit, but as you said, not the water heater.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431888409.451591.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	77213
Old 05-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #4

and i assume for the pilot light to be lit, the gas at the tank must be on...... seems dangerous.....
Old 05-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #5

Majority of RV'ers travel with the fridge running on propane? When traveling I just use the 12 volt setting. Then disconnect at the campsite and turn on the gas.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

From the picture you posted, you should have a switch inside the unit to turn/light the water heater. Blew up the pic and it has the instructions for just "turning on the switch" and it will light automatically.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #7

Perhaps your unit differs from mine in many ways but I am under the impression that the only "pilot light" is the one for the oven the water heater and fridge use an igniter.

This means all you need do is flip or push the switch for them to start on their own.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
From the picture you posted, you should have a switch inside the unit to turn/light the water heater. Blew up the pic and it has the instructions for just "turning on the switch" and it will light automatically.
As Mark stated, you don't have a pilot light but a direct spark ignitor. The orange/rust color wire on the bottom right hand side of the pic of your water heater is what provides the electric to make the spark.

Here is a FAQ on the operation of it:

Suburban's electric switch and much more

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
As Mark stated, you don't have a pilot light but a direct spark ignitor. Here is a FAQ on the operation of it:

Suburban's electric switch and much more

Just as a note, it should have a light next to the switch, it will come on when you first turn it on, the light SHOULD go out then in a minute or so after the water heater lights. If it doesn't go out, it means it didn't light.
Just make sure your gas is on, turn the switch off, wait about 5 minutes for it to reset and try again.
When you turn the switch on, you should her a clicking noise, that is the water heater trying to light, when it does you will probably hear a "swooshing" noise, that is the flame heating the water.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #10

thank you all for responding. I now understand this and i appreciate your insight and knowledge. we will be heading out in a few days for a few days local to refresh our memories and remember all the things we are going to forget to bring with us.....so we can be prepared for the longer trips

Tags
light