Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #1

pop-up bag awning advice?

I need a new bag awning and my research found 3 manufacturers: A&E Dometic, Carefree, and Shademaker.

The Carefree seem really expensive.
Shademaker legs only seem to attach to their own brackets on the frame and only if you get the SupremeXL version.
Dometic legs only rest on the ground? All the pictures show them on the ground. I'm new to PUPs and it looks like there are black brackets on the side of the camper so I'm wondering if the legs can attach to those brackets (black with a round hole).

What do you recommend and where should I purchase your recommendation? I don't necessarily want the cheapest, I want the sturdiest, best value.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #2

I have the shademaker and have been very pleased with it. It can attach to the unit or stand on the ground. I prefer to attach to the camper, little more wind resistant. The frame seems better built and has square legs which are very easy to adjust. It costs a little more, but I feel that it was worth it. Used it for 3 trips of 1-2 months each and open each time we set up.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #3

the dometic awning will do both, legs to ground and legs to camper. we usually had it legs to ground as it was easier for us to tie it down. whenever we had it legs to camper we seemed to have an issue with the wind flipping the awning up on the roof.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPJake View Post
I need a new bag awning and my research found 3 manufacturers: A&E Dometic, Carefree, and Shademaker.

The Carefree seem really expensive.
Shademaker legs only seem to attach to their own brackets on the frame and only if you get the SupremeXL version.
Dometic legs only rest on the ground? All the pictures show them on the ground. I'm new to PUPs and it looks like there are black brackets on the side of the camper so I'm wondering if the legs can attach to those brackets (black with a round hole).

What do you recommend and where should I purchase your recommendation? I don't necessarily want the cheapest, I want the sturdiest, best value.
Dometics have ball & socket mounts for the side of the camper. The horizontal poles that hold the awning away from the camper body must use these. The upright legs have removable rubber caps, complete with tent-stake hold-downs, that can be removed to reveal the ball end. A socket can be screwed to a low point on the camper body.

I highly recommend using the vertical approach, because the pole can be staked in place, and you can use parachute cord tied to the upper awning frame and anchored to a second tent stake to brace and tension the awning to withstand quite a bit of wind. Furthermore, it's far easier to dodge a vertical pole than it is to duck around a pipe going at a 45 degree angle from the awning to the camper body. Finally, even without the additional tie-downs, the setup is far more robust in the wind.

Regardless of how you use the awning, get some spare sockets. The sockets are fragile, but they are also inexpensive. If you break one in the field and you have a couple of spares, there are just two screws to remove and replace to put you back in business.

I've learned the hard way that these awnings are not very sun tolerant. My 2014 awing "bag" is falling apart, because UV rays destroyed it. Most roll-up awnings offer a way to cover the closed awning, but it's hard to imagine a way to cover the "bag." I now use an RV cover to protect the whole camper, and I use tire covers to keep the tires out of the sun. I will have to replace my perfectly good awning or replace the "bag" this year, because the joint between the bag and the rail is disintegrating.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #5

X2 jimmoore13
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

The Shademaker does not use the "cup and ball" system on the lower legs. It has a "U" shaped bracket with a pin through the bracket and legs. No issues with it coming out in the wind.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

cabranch47, do you find the angled legs to be annoying to dodge around/under vs. vertical to the ground as Jim mentions?

Also, do you find the angled installation to be sturdy enough in the wind without additional tent cords? The one thing I like about the angled legs to the camper is that nothing is on the ground. I was thinking about attaching rings/loops on the frame for tent cords so those wouldn't be in the ground to trip over either although there is not likely enough angle on the rear to do that.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #8

I don't find the angled poles to be an issue. I put my table/bbq under the rear leg to the trailer, so no traffic through there. The front one you get used to. We often hang our towels on there to dry. The very first day out with our new awning we came under a tornado watch and heavy thunderstorms. I did not have enough time to put the awning away. I tied a rope over the top to reduce flapping, tied diagonal ropes from the outside corners of the awning frame down and across to the opposite lower mounting points. I then tied a rope in the middle of the outside frame down to a 20# weight to help keep it from lifting but not rigid enough that it still had some "give". We spent the day in the men's restroom with our ice chest. Lucky we were the only ones in the park. I guess that should have told us something. One of the worst storms (hurricanes excepted) that I had been through. After it was over I expected to find the awning destroyed. There was no damage at all and have been using it since then. I believe the 1" square tubing used is a lot stronger than the usual round tubes.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #9

Ours came with a Dometic from the factory, and we found it to be a piece of junk. Built very filimsy, and didn't make it through the first year. We replaced it with a Carefree, a much better built unit. Although, for our application, we needed to modify it a bit to get it to work. You will also have to change brackets to go from the Dometic to the Carefree.
cousin_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning