Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Pop up door doesnt fit with awning

We have a 2012 rockwood 2280 pop up. When we use the awning the roof of the camper pulls right causing a lot of pressure on the door. It actually pulled 2 of the door hold downs out of the door. Has anyone seen this problem. If there is anything i can do but stop useing awning. We like haveing awning out but cant keep brakeing door. Also if anyone knows how to get the hold downs for door, thanks
rdallas5xpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #2

I would say that if you bought the camper new, take it to the dealer and let them fix it under warrenty. Sounds like something got twisted pretty bad to pull the door apart.
Good Luck
Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #3

Are you using the braces for the up position. If not try using them by braces I mean the safety brackets used when raising top
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #4

Yes i do use the supports. Thank you
Old 06-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #5

I have the same problem with my high wall. Because the roof is on "stilts" it moves. So when we open the awning, it shifts the weight. We've actually stopped trying to connect the top two stoppers because in high winds the roof moves and you can hear the stress in the door frame.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #6

Thank you. It seems like if i put the awning legs on the ground instead of side of camper it helps. Does any one know where i can get the stoppers for the door? I had 2 brake already
Old 06-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #7

Can you post pictures ? It would make it easier to visualize your unit and problem.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #8

We have the same problem with our 2006 Rockwood Premier (NTU). We tried putting velcro on the tabs-didn't work. Now I am thinking I will need to "counter-pull" the roof by putting guidelines on the opposing side of the roof. Shouldn't need to do that but there is about a 1/2" gap at the top of the door when we use the awning. Any other ideas would be welcome from others who have the same experience.
Rickstermn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #9

Yes, we are having the same problem. We have a 2012 Flagstaff HW27KS. It has never occurred to us it was being caused by the awning. We have taken it back to the dealer where they raised the roof, installed the door (which naturally fit perfectly) and looked at us like we were crazy. The told us maybe there had been a strong wind and had caused the roof to shift. We have tried everything except the awning. We are camping now so we'll do something with the awning to see if that helps (we currently have about a 1/2 inch gap at the top of the door.

Thanks!
rjenkins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #10

I experienced the same thing the last time we went camping.......like you, we found that the ground poles on the ground seemed to help. Now here is the reason why it was happening to us. We had the stabilizer jacks down before we put the door in and put the bows up.......and may have been too far down to cause the box to twist some making the door not fit right to begin with. I searched this out and set up the camper again once we got home with out the jacks down and everything fit like a dream......poles in the side and on the ground. Looking back over the DVD about set up procedures......they put down the stabilizer jacks after the camper has been setup. Something to consider...
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #11

Sorry it has taken so long to reply back. Since we were camping at the time of the original post, we experimented with a few of these ideas. We cranked the stabilizer jacks up enough to get all four off the ground. We then went back inside and repositioned the door so that it fit properly again (several of the plastic tabs need to be tightened and we can't find bit to fit screw). We then went back outside and ran the stabilizer jacks back down to where each lightly sat on the ground. We experienced no problems with the door the remainder of the camping trip. I believe you were correct that we had them down too far and had the box twisted to where everything was in a bind. No more door popping loose! Thank you so much for the suggestion. It truly did help with our problem! I hope this will also help someone else solve their problems as well. Happy campers again!
rjenkins3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning