Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Pop Up Newbie Plugs???

This is all very new to me and I know I will come off as a total idiot, but I can't figure out what all these plugs/connections are for on my new (used) pop up camper. I know the plug with the silver cover mid left is the one to plug into normal power. But, what is everything else? Including the water holes?

Below the silver normal power connect is an extension cord type thing you can pull out? Below the AC unit is some weird looking plug. It says it is prewired for solar, where does that connect to?

THANK YOU, I have no owners manual and can't seem to find a dumbed down explaination anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_408299819728600.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	199885   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2295766970748444.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	199886   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1335823593239950.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	199887   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_399178984148910.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	199888  
HaileyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #2

Large upper plug is the trailer pwr cord you plug into the pedestal at the campground. You should have a large cord that fits that. The small female connector...I have no clue and have never seen that. The Solar plug is for a portable Solar panel to plug into. I never use solar, so I can't go into what you'd need for it, but that outlet is where it would plug in.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

The one in the middle pic looks like a connection for a 30 AMP cord.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #4

The first pic is of a 20 amp feamale cord cap. it is designed to be pulled out and something plug into it. I'm just guessing here but I see something on the side of the roof above. I'm guessing you plug the female into a male up top to power the Roof top A/C. How am I doing?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #5

The bottom cord (in the silver tread plate) pulls out and plugs into the black receptacle on the side of the roof, right under the A/C in the top picture. A cover lifts up and you plug it in. Powers the A/C and the ceiling lights. (Plug this in before you raise the roof). The upper plug is the 30 amp power supply. You should have a 25' foot or so cord that has a big end on it (female) that fits on that plug, then a ring screws onto the threads on the outside of the plug.

You should have a water tank inlet that has a cap that you unscrew (1 1/2"dia.?). You fill your water tank with a hose through that. There is also what looks like the end of a hose that has a cap you just pull off. This is for city water hookup with pressure (like from your hose from your house). You attach your drinking water hose here. It uses that pressure and you don't have to use your water pump.
smither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyL View Post
This is all very new to me and I know I will come off as a total idiot, but I can't figure out what all these plugs/connections are for on my new (used) pop up camper. I know the plug with the silver cover mid left is the one to plug into normal power. But, what is everything else? Including the water holes?

Below the silver normal power connect is an extension cord type thing you can pull out? Below the AC unit is some weird looking plug. It says it is prewired for solar, where does that connect to?

THANK YOU, I have no owners manual and can't seem to find a dumbed down explaination anywhere.
The larger one with silver is your main power. should have a 30 amp cord for it.

The yellow female plug that pulls out goes into the top section (black cover) for your A/C unit. Probably the "weird looking one"

Pre wired for solar. you need solar panels for this.
Bluestone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The first pic is of a 20 amp feamale cord cap. it is designed to be pulled out and something plug into it. I'm just guessing here but I see something on the side of the roof above. I'm guessing you plug the female into a male up top to power the Roof top A/C. How am I doing?
you are 100% correct, this is how forest river sets up their popups. the AC is supposed to be plugged in before you raise the roof (we learned the hard way). the other one is for your removable 30 amp power cord that goes from the trailer to the power pedestal. the trailer in the top picture does have an AC on the roof.

in the picture i copied from yours, the bottom one pulls out and plugs into the top one, circled in red. that is a VERY long cord too.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ac plug.PNG
Views:	132
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	199897  
Old 03-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #8

have a similar pop up so you should have a fresh water tank fill up and also a city connection.
ALL other water hose connections should be below frame. These will be grey water drains.

Hope this helps!! Alot going on for a small trailer.
Bluestone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
RV There Yet?

hopefully this is a little more clear

1: power port for your roof top AC (plug #4 into this)
2: either solar connection or cable (cant tell) - open to find out
3: trailer power connection - removable 30 amp cord that goes to power pedestal
4: power for roof top AC (plug this into #1)
5: looks to be city water connection - open to find out
6: water heater - may have 120v switch inside, also drain plug
7: fridge vents - may have switches for 12v, 120v, and gas inside
8: fresh water fill - gravity fill, stick a hose in there and it will fill your fresh tank
9: furnace intake and vent - screens keep bees out
10: looks to be outdoor shower - open to find out
11: cant tell - solar, cable, tank vent?

also, wax your roof lifting rails and bed rails from time to time, you will feel them start to bind a little bit. just use an old candle or the smelly wax when you are done with it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ac plug.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	199898  
Old 03-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #10
Dobbs from WI

Wow Isledog! That is quite the answer for the OP.
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the solar pre-wire only gives 12 VDC to the battery once all the components are installed. Those components include the solar panels and the charge controller.
Also I hope that the OP received the detachable power cord with his unit.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #11
RV There Yet?

I dont mind taking 5 minutes to throw something together that can help someone else. My first camper (that i owned as an adult) was bought used, the original owner had NO clue what anything did or how to set it up. popups have their own special connections and ways of tucking everything in, it can be really confusing if nobody shows it to you.

If #2 is a solar connector, its literally just a connector that goes straight to the battery. you will need a charge controller and solar panel to connect to it. and check polarity before plugging into it. you can actually pull power from this if you need (or want) to. just make the right plug and snap it in, instant power port.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
you are 100% correct, this is how forest river sets up their popups. the AC is supposed to be plugged in before you raise the roof (we learned the hard way). the other one is for your removable 30 amp power cord that goes from the trailer to the power pedestal. the trailer in the top picture does have an AC on the roof.

in the picture i copied from yours, the bottom one pulls out and plugs into the top one, circled in red. that is a VERY long cord too.

Yes plug that extension cord looking cord into the plug on the top before you raise the top or you will need a ladder to plug it in.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #13

You might be able to download manuals for everything. Although factory manuals sometimes cover several models.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #14

#8 might be the cap for the sink drain. If the sink is right next to the refrigerator and you have no holding tanks, the sink will drain right out that opening. Some use a 5 gallon bucket, others get more creative. Best of luck.

2015 Rockwood 2318G
TV: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE
Metadifluoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #15
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metadifluoro View Post
#8 might be the cap for the sink drain. If the sink is right next to the refrigerator and you have no holding tanks, the sink will drain right out that opening. Some use a 5 gallon bucket, others get more creative. Best of luck.
Good call!! I completely forgot about that!
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
hopefully this is a little more clear

5: looks to be city water connection - open to find out
#5. That is the "pressure washer" connection. Basically it's a cold water quick disconnect connection with a coil hose (like those cheap air compressor hoses) with a sprayer on the end. For washing off the toys. This looks like a toy hauler pup (I have a Flagstaff HW31SCTH).
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #17

#2 is tv/sat/cable connection.

#11 City water connection.
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, pop up