Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Pop ups and pups

Has anyone camped in pop ups with dogs? We have two little, 27lb, schnauzers and we were thinking we needed a hybrid because it would be safer for the dogs. The concern is, we wouldn't be able to leave and go anywhere and leave the dogs in a pop up, with the air on of course, but we would be able to in a hybrid. We are concerned someone might steal them. Being gone meaning a couple of hours at most. Has anyone had this dilemma and what did you do about it?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We camped in a pop-up with a dog, but he didn't get left in the camper, in fact many campgrounds have that rule posted. If they're barkers, it wouldn't matter if it's a pop-up or hybrid as neither isolate sounds very much.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I never though about campgrounds not allowing your dogs to be left inside your unit. Guess that answers that one. How was it camping with your dog in the pop up?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBiker View Post
Has anyone camped in pop ups with dogs? We have two little, 27lb, schnauzers and we were thinking we needed a hybrid because it would be safer for the dogs. The concern is, we wouldn't be able to leave and go anywhere and leave the dogs in a pop up, with the air on of course, but we would be able to in a hybrid. We are concerned someone might steal them. Being gone meaning a couple of hours at most. Has anyone had this dilemma and what did you do about it?

Thanks
We had an older popup, and the tents were not secured to the beds. Newer models from some manufacturers have solved this problem.

However, we moved to a travel trailer, and part of the reason was for security for our dogs. And for the added quiet.

Campgrounds usually have a time limit on dogs being left alone, however that does not include a dog that is kenneled. We keep a soft-sided collapsible kennel in our trailer, and we used it in our pop up, as well. Our dog is not a barker, but he can be mischievous. The kennel keeps him from getting in trouble. He gets tired camping (so much to do!!!), and it's a good chance for him to nap.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #5

We never camp without our dogs, a miniature Snauzer and a black Lab. We have left them for a short period of time in our pop up and didn't have any problems. But if we are going to be gone a while, we take them. I'm not worried about someone stealing our dogs. The Lab is pretty theft proof if you know what I mean.

Honestly, we enjoy camping with our dogs. We always camp at a place where we can walk them. Both them and us enjoy the walks.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #6

I guess we are going to go look at a pop up tomorrow evening
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Great!

We have our dog with us most of the time, but some of the rivers we kayak on do not allow dogs in the water. And he is like a fish, so try telling HIM he can't get in the water. Or there are gators.

We also camped where there was a cave tour - he couldn't do that. And we go tubing sometimes... not sure that would work, either.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:

So! This was a HUGE waste of time!!!!!! I texted the seller as we were leaving and she text me back and ok see you in a few min. After sitting 40 min in traffic we found her "abode" and were greeted by two growling pit bulls! I text her and told her we were there with no response. We heard people in the camper. She finally came out and said "They beat you here" I said "who" She replied "people came over from dayton and just bought it" with a chuckle. It was all I could do to not call her some choice names that are only used inside kennels!!!!! I had NO idea she had other people looking at it let alone people looking at it tonight also!!!! That was extremely RUDE!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

So! This was a HUGE waste of time!!!!!! I texted the seller as we were leaving and she text me back and ok see you in a few min. After sitting 40 min in traffic we found her "abode" and were greeted by two growling pit bulls! I text her and told her we were there with no response. We heard people in the camper. She finally came out and said "They beat you here" I said "who" She replied "people came over from dayton and just bought it" with a chuckle. It was all I could do to not call her some choice names that are only used inside kennels!!!!! I had NO idea she had other people looking at it let alone people looking at it tonight also!!!! That was extremely RUDE!!!!
That bites........
Another deal will be along just as that one.
Maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Turbs
Old 06-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of your bad luck...keep on looking and you'll find one even better!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote