Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 11:13 PM   #1

Popup NEWB question(s)

Greetings, community.

I recently bought a 2011 Flagstaff HW 25 S-C from a Camping World dealer near me.

My sales guy and the 2 guys that were supposed to introduce me to the camper seemed to have no idea about popups as they apparently don't carry them normally. Whatever. It's just as easy to turn to the internet for answers.

Coming from two previous regular travel trailers (a Forest River and a Pilgrim), I was expecting the 12V lights to work off of the battery when not shorelined. According to the dealer and the original Flagstaff manual - this is not a feature. Is that correct? The only way to get the lights lit is to plug into the tow vehicle or a 110 line? That seems backwards.

Also, there's a small switch located underneath the fuse panel - I have flipped it on and off and I cannot seems to figure out exactly what it does. I took a picture you can see below.

Thirdly, the bottom of the canvas in front of the sink has come unhooked. What is the easiest way to get it back in? Currently, when a breeze blows, the canvas flaps open!
FireChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChief View Post
Coming from two previous regular travel trailers (a Forest River and a Pilgrim), I was expecting the 12V lights to work off of the battery when not shorelined. According to the dealer and the original Flagstaff manual - this is not a feature. Is that correct? The only way to get the lights lit is to plug into the tow vehicle or a 110 line? That seems backwards.
total BS from the dealer. popups are made for dry camping(no hookups).
so, YES, the lights work off of 12v battery power. all the converter does is recharge the battery and convert the AC shore power to 12v DC.
the water pump works off the battery.
the fridge and furnace also use 12v battery power.

so, are the other things 12v DC working? if not, there are two possibilities:
1. the plunger switch inside is not working
2. when the battery was installed, someone may have reversed the wires, tripping a resettable breaker or blowing an inline fuse.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

There is a kill switch under the sink which shuts off the lights when closed so no lights burn the canvas. Also my rockwood has a switch by the door controls the lights and fan as well. The switch by the converter could be the water pump for when not hooked up to city water.

Me the missus and three hooligans!
2014 Rockwood Premier 2317g
2012 Ford F150 super crew ecoboost
2011 Honda Pilot
3hooligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

Fire chief. Yes lights should work on 12v battery, the plunger switch is usually front right mounted to the roof underneath so it flips when the roof is raised (rt frt when looking at the pup standing in frt of tongue) there is a master switch near the door on the corner of the cupboards. (Rockwood are there) the switch by the converter might be a water pump if it has a red light also it might be the hot water tank.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

I was wondering where the roof safety switch was located on a HW series.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

F5moab it should be the front corner of the roof. Between the canvas n roof fiberglass. I'll try and get a pic in a bit.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #7

Just a thought - are you sure your battery is charged? WOuldn't be surprised if it is a 2011 vintage, which is OLD for an RV battery that more likely than not wasn't stored properly in winter, allowed to drain below 12 volts, etc. . .
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #8

Yeah, I'm getting 12.8V off the battery on my meter - that was the first thing I checked.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #9

It's not hot water as that is in the back and labeled.

When plugged in, the 'master' light switch just inside the door functions properly.

I'll have to check and see if it has any effect on the water pump. I'd be surprised if it was water pump since it's on the opposite corner of the rig, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Fire chief. Yes lights should work on 12v battery, the plunger switch is usually front right mounted to the roof underneath so it flips when the roof is raised (rt frt when looking at the pup standing in frt of tongue) there is a master switch near the door on the corner of the cupboards. (Rockwood are there) the switch by the converter might be a water pump if it has a red light also it might be the hot water tank.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

I'll be investigating these when I get home.

Pretty sure it's not going to be the roof switch b/c the lights work on shoreline.

The idea of a battery light kill switch makes perfect sense tho. However, even the manual seems to imply that the lights only work when plugged to tow vehicle or shore line.. poorly written, to say the least.

Quote:
F5moab it should be the front corner of the roof. Between the canvas n roof fiberglass. I'll try and get a pic in a bit.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hooligans View Post
There is a kill switch under the sink which shuts off the lights when closed so no lights burn the canvas. Also my rockwood has a switch by the door controls the lights and fan as well. The switch by the converter could be the water pump for when not hooked up to city water.

Me the missus and three hooligans!
2014 Rockwood Premier 2317g
2012 Ford F150 super crew ecoboost
2011 Honda Pilot
Old 09-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #11

Quote:
I was just making a statement since I wondered where the switch would be if there was no pull over sink/range like on my popup. NO photo needed. I was just always curious where the switch would be.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 09-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #12

OK, No switch located under sink in either top or bottom cabinet.

Confirmed NOTHING working on 12V, not even fridge. Battery OK.

Switch under inverter is solved: It's the pump switch.

Next step is pull of the panel in front of inverter and look for problems, I guess.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChief View Post
OK, No switch located under sink in either top or bottom cabinet.

Confirmed NOTHING working on 12V, not even fridge. Battery OK.

Switch under inverter is solved: It's the pump switch.

Next step is pull of the panel in front of inverter and look for problems, I guess.
As a retired firefighter/EMT, I just want to respectfully tell you, Chief, that it's a CONverter, not an INverter.
Never heard of any popup that didn't have some kind of inside kill switch.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 AM   #14

Does anything work when NOT plugged into shore power?
If NO, connect the trailer to shore power, and check voltage at the battery. The converter should start off at about 14 volts to the battery for a time, then drop. If the battery voltage at the battery is the same on shore power as when disconnected from shore power the battery is not connected to the converter.

This could be literally NOT connected, to the fuse being blown in the converter.

Check the 12 volt fuses in the converter.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #15

check the big orange fuses on the converter,one or both may be blown, something as simple as charging the battery externally can blow them.

because the unit uses the converter on shore power and converts it to 12 volt and that works i would say its gotta be a battery fuse issue.

on mine they are orange, here is an example
swimmarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up