Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Popup toilet and bears

My Flagstaff 228 has the cassette toilet, although never used. I'm curious what the consensus is on this attracting bears and other wildlife. I live in the mountains of Colorado and always store everything with a scent inside the car, even when camping at large campgrounds where my neighbor has his grill still hanging off the side of the camper. I figure it's easier to get in the habit than to forget one time when I'm in the true wilderness. However, it would be much more convenient to let my wife and small children start using the bathroom.

I even thought about buying an extra cassette so that we have a clean/non-smelling option when needed and a usable option when needed.

So what's the consensus. Do you use your cassette toilet when camping in bear country?
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't have this type of trailer but I am curious to read the feedback on this.

When we were camping in the mountains we were informed not to leave soap, shampoo, lotion or anything with a scent in the car but rather to lock it up in the bear protected cabinet.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Site Team

not sure why you would think that bears are attracted to human waste.

as far as i've ever read, that's never been a reason for attracting bears.
food, yes!

do you have some evidence that this is an issue in bear country?
otherwise, they'd be pushing pit toilets over to get to it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #4

No evidence of bears attracted to #1 or #2, but I'd hate to be exhibit A. And like Terier said, many places recommend locking up non-food items that have less odor than a toilet.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
My Flagstaff 228 has the cassette toilet, although never used. I'm curious what the consensus is on this attracting bears and other wildlife. I live in the mountains of Colorado and always store everything with a scent inside the car, even when camping at large campgrounds where my neighbor has his grill still hanging off the side of the camper. I figure it's easier to get in the habit than to forget one time when I'm in the true wilderness. However, it would be much more convenient to let my wife and small children start using the bathroom.

I even thought about buying an extra cassette so that we have a clean/non-smelling option when needed and a usable option when needed.

So what's the consensus. Do you use your cassette toilet when camping in bear country?

We camp in bear country a lot, and have had any run-ins. I can say with pretty high certainty they are not attracted to the toilet. Its all about food. Any food they smell, they will go after. Also had one eat an entire citronella candle one night. Read the ingriedient list and it contained honey... They have also learned that campgrounds are like buffets. They know what a cooler is. I left a clean, empty cooler in the bed of the pickup with the tailgate up one night. Woke up to a bear in the bed tearing the top off. Unbelievable. And in the slow learner category, a few years earlier I had a cooler also in the back of the truck, tailgate up with some beer and soda, no food. Sitting by the fire and see something out of the corner of my eye - sure enough, bear in the truck going through the cooler. Messing with my beer is crossing the line. He was bigger than me, but we almost had it out. Fortunately, he left without the beer.

They really only care about food - I would worry about the toilet. And in campgrounds where the bears get used to people, they are pretty well trained about where to look for food.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

I think I would find another place to camp just to have the wife & kids safe, forget about the inconvenience of the toilet. Guess I just don't understand what is so enticing to invade the bear's territory and a possible confrontation that is going to result in a family member being hurt or possibly killed.

Don't want to start a big brouhaha about primitive camping, just trying to understand.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #7

Well rumor has it around here by what I've been reading, is that camping with OldCoot is kinda like primitive camping, with him being the bear?
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #8

First - most eye catching subject line EVER!

Canines like my family dog will try to cover their scent with waste (nicest way I could put that) but I doubt bears are prone to that behavior.

I would bet a good layer of Thetford Deodorizer would keep the bears from any interest in the cassette. Yogi just wants the picnic basket.

That said, interesting topic - I wonder if any bear-ologists (ursinologists) have input of this. First person I would ask is a Ranger.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #9

If you live in the Colorado mountains and you are worried about bears then you need to educate yourself on the behavior and instincts of bears. There are plenty of good books on the subject and I would think a state park or national park ranger (that’s RANGER, not park employee or camp host) could give you good advice also.
Forums on the Internet would be my last choice for getting advice about bears.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty2 View Post
Well rumor has it around here by what I've been reading, is that camping with OldCoot is kinda like primitive camping, with him being the bear?
You got that right, a teddy bear. I'm pretty docile in my old age.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

Actually, urine odor is a bear attractant.

HowStuffWorks "10 Ways to Attract Bears to Your Campsite"
Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #12

HI

I saw a nature show and in one scene the bears are attracted to citronella. Citronella was rubbed on a tree and a bear came by and rubbed itself all over to get covered by the smell.

I have camped in northern Ontario in a high density bear area. Bear proof boxes are not provided by Ontario Parks so the food etc goes in the car/van. I have had paw prints in the campsite and prints on the rear glass of the mini van some mornings. Bears are only interested in food and interesting smells and know when people are around and avoid them unless confronted.

I now have a 5th so a little less worry.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #13

Primitive camped in Ontario - really primitive. Just camped on provincial land in the woods in a tent. Dug a hole for the latrine. There were bears around, as they left their "scat" behind. They did not, however, dig in our latrine, or disturb it in any way. Don't you think bears know you're there?? They can smell human presence, no matter how much stuff you put in your car, it the bear boxes, etc.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapotims View Post
Actually, urine odor is a bear attractant.

HowStuffWorks "10 Ways to Attract Bears to Your Campsite"
Interesting article to read. Never thought about changing clothes after cooking the breakfast bacon. In the end there are too many things to worry about for me to be camping in bear country.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #15

Remember when camping in bear country you should wear bell on your shoes and carry bear (pepper) spray. You can always tell the type of bear in your area by checking the scat. If the scat contains berry and nut it is most likely a black bear. If the scat smells like pepper and contains bell is is grizzly bear.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #16

Try not to look so chewy!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #17

This reminds me of the movie wild hogs when the guy puts his crap in a bag and hangs it in a tree so the bears don't get it. The other Guys proceeded to laugh and tell him that bears don't eat ****.
Leecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Remember when camping in bear country you should wear bell on your shoes and carry bear (pepper) spray. You can always tell the type of bear in your area by checking the scat. If the scat contains berry and nut it is most likely a black bear. If the scat smells like pepper and contains bell is is grizzly bear.
That was absolutely hilarious. With a nick name like that, are you from Cape Breton by chance?
DG, DH
Tally the Greyhound and Itty the Chihuahua
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #19

Yea, I have checked with rangers, all of whom won't give advice but simply report on if there has been bear activity or not in that area.

I appreciate the real world experience everyone has shared. Frankly the jokes (most of them quite old) are not useful but simply fill up space on the thread.

FYI my experience has been that while I have always put all smelly products in the car (ie. soap, food, sunscreen, etc) I have never seen a bear interested in the vault toilet - which smells much worse than my cassette will. I have also surveyed local PUP owners and 100% of them keep sealed food in the fridge inside the PUP and 100% of the men frequently pee right out the camper or tent door (out of laziness). So, using the cassette toilet in areas where bear activity isn't extreme seems relatively safe to me. In other words, all smells present theoretical risk, but I bet the risk of dying on the drive to/from campsite is statistically higher than a bear run-in using decent (not extreme) judgement.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
...Frankly the jokes (most of them quite old) are not useful but simply fill up space on the thread...
Lighten up, laugh and enjoy life. All threads are subject to jokes.