Old 06-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

porch mat or carpet?

I have a Rockwood 1940 pup. For the last two years we've used a pair of large semitruck mud flaps as our under awning entranceway. Not particulary good. Looking for a 6x8 mat or carpet suggestions..we have a lot of sand here in Florida, so I am thinking a typical outdoor carpet holds this so maybe something smooth for easier cleaning. The Wallmart vinyl mat is a bit too large. Any suggestions? We need something with "understated elegance".

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

Mats work very well for us, easy to clean and store and pretty durable, Our WalMart mat has been in use for over 4 years and holding up well, shake it off and hit it with a hose, air dry and you're ready for the next adventure.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

When we had our pop up (many moons ago) we used a vinyl flooring remanant. Just needed some bricks or weight on the four corners for a day or so to keep it from rolling back up.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Site Team

We have used both I/O Carpet and plastic mats. The mats a much better as they dry much quicker and are easier to sweep/clean off. Nothing worse that loading a 30Lb water soaked I/O carpet somewhere. Check on line that have various size mats.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #5

This was a few years ago, but when we had a pop-up, we got three rugs from Menards. They are about 4 ft x 6 ft, and made of recycled plastic bottles. Sounds like it wouldn't be comfortable, but it was very soft. We used one of the three, cut to fit, to add removable carpeting to the floor of our pop-up. The other two, I added grommets around the edge and used as outdoor rugs.

I think there was a huge advantage to having this smaller 2-rug setup. First, we could deploy one or both rugs depending on the layout of the site. Second, we could relocate the second rug to another spot if the kids wanted to play in the shade of a nearby tree. Third, in a pop-up with limited storage, we found it easier to store two smaller rugs vs one large one.
Sorry I don't have any more specifics on the brand.
Brian
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
Site Team

We use an 8 X 16 Nylon type of outdoor RV carpet. It works great! Doesn't soak up water. Traps lots of grass and dirt. Provides a place to set reclining outdoor chairs under the awning. Easy to shake out and store away. Makes the inside of the trailer SO much cleaner.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
This was a few years ago, but when we had a pop-up, we got three rugs from Menards. They are about 4 ft x 6 ft, and made of recycled plastic bottles. Sounds like it wouldn't be comfortable, but it was very soft.
This is what we currently use. They work great but our site is on crushed gravel and they do hold a lot of grit on the backing. They need a good shaking out before packing up to travel. Since we're seasonal, the grit doesn't come into play since they are put down in April and taken up in Nov.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #8

We put down a couple of the plastic mats from Camping World or Walmart and love them. They are light, water runs right through em. They dry fast and a quick shake knocks almost all the sand and debris off of them. I roll them up and stick them in our storage till next time. In fact, we have 3 of them. Two for the trailer and one for the inflatable boat or screen room.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
This is what we currently use. They work great but our site is on crushed gravel and they do hold a lot of grit on the backing. They need a good shaking out before packing up to travel. Since we're seasonal, the grit doesn't come into play since they are put down in April and taken up in Nov.
I agree - some shaking off required, and they will hold onto water more than the newer style plastic mats, but at the time they were a good and inexpensive solution for us. Still using the two grommeted ones as awning rug for our new TT. Will probably upgrade to plastic when these wear out.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringbill View Post
I have a Rockwood 1940 pup. For the last two years we've used a pair of large semitruck mud flaps as our under awning entranceway. Not particulary good. Looking for a 6x8 mat or carpet suggestions..we have a lot of sand here in Florida, so I am thinking a typical outdoor carpet holds this so maybe something smooth for easier cleaning. The Wallmart vinyl mat is a bit too large. Any suggestions? We need something with "understated elegance".
This might be WAY off Base but (TRUCK MUDFLAPS) WOW! You are in Fla. (J&J Mats and Sunshades) Lake Wales,Fla. They will make you any size/color and they have a LIFETIME Warr! Family owned/Made in the USA! Youroo!!