Old 08-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #11

My other trick is to fill some pop bottles with water; and keep them in your house freezer. I use them to keep coolers cold as that block of ice needs to absorb a lot of heat to melt. I don't see why you couldn't use that idea to keep your fridge cold while traveling.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #12

Thanks for all the replies. It's all closed up and ready for the weekend, with the fridge still on AC power.

This Friday afternoon, when I hook it to my truck, it will switch to DC power automaticaly, correct? I think there is a button for "Automatic" and "gas". It's currently on Automatic, so that means it will switch back and forth between AC and DC???? It's only an hour and a half drive and I wont be stopping for gas so i'm sure it'll be ok.

fisk

Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisk View Post
Thanks for all the replies. It's all closed up and ready for the weekend, with the fridge still on AC power.

This Friday afternoon, when I hook it to my truck, it will switch to DC power automaticaly, correct? I think there is a button for "Automatic" and "gas". It's currently on Automatic, so that means it will switch back and forth between AC and DC???? It's only an hour and a half drive and I wont be stopping for gas so i'm sure it'll be ok.

fisk
Just shooting from the hip, but I suspect that automatic will only switch between AC and gas. If it were to switch to DC you would be at risk of ending up with a dead battery under certain circumstances.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Just shooting from the hip, but I suspect that automatic will only switch between AC and gas. If it were to switch to DC you would be at risk of ending up with a dead battery under certain circumstances.
I'm hoping you're wrong about this. I want it to switch between Ac and DC, not AC and gas. i'd rather have it running on DC while i'm going down the road. If I understand how this works, my truck charges the battery while i'm driving. The battery should still be fine when I arrive at the campground. At least that's my theory...
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #15

Is your reefer a 3 way (120v., 12v dc and gas). If it is a 3 way you should have a switch to change it from ac to dc or gas. With the auto feature it seems to be a 2 way (120ac or gas). When set on auto if you have no ac it will change to gas. If you only have a 1 1/2 hour drive to the CG I would not worry about leaving the reefer on. It will stay cool for up to 8 hours if the door is not opened.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #16

Hooking up the popup to AC to cool the frig also makes sure the battery is fully charged before the trip.

Yes, you can run it on DC battery while traveling. Just remember to turn it off or put on LP if you make any long stops. I forgot and needed AAA to jump the car's dead battery. : (
Old 08-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #17

Yes, it's a three way (hehe, I said three-way.. ) I may have to do a test run tonight and see what happens. i'll just unplug the ac and then crawl inside and see what it switches to.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #18

One more option on short trips is to put a small bag of ice in the fridge, that will keep it cool while on travel.

When we do long trips we keep the LP "ON" while travelling, and never had a problem. As soon as we get to the site, and if we have shore power we hook up and use AC to keep it running.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #19

for an hour and a half, it probably will stay cold on its own.
believe the frig manufacturer says to shut it (propane) off while traveling. the box should stay cold.
i do run with my propane on. i don't have the choice of the DC or would do that. in the older friges that had DC, they would keep it cool but not as cool as the propane or AC. that was 15 yrs ago. things may have changed.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #20

In case anyone cares, it didn't work. I unplugged the AC just before we left. I'm assuming it switched to battery, because the battery was almost dead when we got there two hours later. I had to hook up a battery charger to it for 20 minutes just to raise the roof. If it tried to switch to gas, it couldn't since I had that shut off.

Also, the fridge was not really cold at all. We still had to keep the cold food in a cooler with ice until the next morning.

Since the camper was on AC for several days before we left, and then connected my truck on the two hour drive there, AND still was dead when I got there, do you think it could be a problem with the battery? I was able to charge it and have power to raise the roof within 20 minutes. After being there for about 40 hours (connected to the camp AC), it sounded fine when I was lowering the roof. I realize that was less of a load, but it sounded like it had plenty of power.

oh well......