Old 07-28-2016, 07:19 AM   #1

power crank broken

hi, i tried to raise our pop up with the roof still latched. now to electric crank will spin the worm gear but it will not turn the drive gear once it comes under load. need help troubleshooting system to locate problem.the worm gear pops out of the teeth of the drive gear once the cable comes under the weight of the roof.thanks

Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #2

Need info on trailer model and year. There was a change in the powerlift systems around 2013-2014. But you tried to raise with the roof still latched? There could be a safety system that if too much resistance is sensed it prevents the system from destroying the latches and roof.

I always thought the motor would win the the roof or latches would break.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Need info on trailer model and year. There was a change in the powerlift systems around 2013-2014. But you tried to raise with the roof still latched? There could be a safety system that if too much resistance is sensed it prevents the system from destroying the latches and roof.

I always thought the motor would win the the roof or latches would break.
It will win over the latches........ask me how I know
Old 07-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #4

See if the motor to worm gear has a "Roll pin" attaching it. I had one snap off on a set of stabilizers.
It would just spin the motor and nothing. I now carry a box of them with me in case any other one snaps.
If so just use a small punch to tap it out and press in a new one.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

hi.thanks. its a 2013 flagstaff mac, with the 55000 motorized crank. teeth on the drive gear look ground down. is that the way they are designed to fail? worm gear slips and makes a chattering noise with the hand crank or electric motor.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #6

with 5 people. four on each corner we can raise the roof to chest hight then the 5th person can operate the toggle switch. the crank will operate normally until it reaches the point where it encounters the weight of the roof. once it comes under load the worm gear starts chattering as it slips over the teeth of the drive gear. the roof will stay at the height it has been raise to by hand but will not go up any further. it will lower normally but will chatter again if i try to raise it.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabla View Post
See if the motor to worm gear has a "Roll pin" attaching it. I had one snap off on a set of stabilizers.
It would just spin the motor and nothing. I now carry a box of them with me in case any other one snaps
If so just use a small punch to tap it out and press in a new one.
Good point. From memory the gear that mates with the worm does have a pin.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #8

i don't know what a poll pin is or where to look for it.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #9

Gear slides over the shaft and the roll pin, inserted through the gear collar and the shaft, prevent the gear from spinning on the shaft.
The arrow shows the roll pin....

It is only a guess and something to check. Per the parts illustration, they do not show the gear and shaft as one piece. But worthwhile looking at.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #10

i found what you were saying. i found also the teeth of that drive gear were worn down by the worm gear. once the crank became strained by the weight of the roof and the worm gear spun the drive gear to the worn spot the drive gear would slip.i removed the axle and roll pin but the gear does not come off readily. i think it might be press on. i sent an e-mail to carefree to see if i can buy the axle w/ the gear pressed on it already. the roll pin wast the issue but it was a step in the right direction. thanks for the insight.maybe i can buy just the gear if i can get the worn one off the axle without marring the axle.

Tags
power