Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #1

Power Lift for Roof

I bought a used Rockwood HW276 popup and it has a motorized lift for the roof. Does this motor only work off the battery? I had it connected to camp site power but it wouldn’t lift the roof. I’m new to the RV world and greatly appreciate any info and thank you in advance.
RockwoodHW956Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockwoodHW956Texas View Post
I bought a used Rockwood HW276 popup and it has a motorized lift for the roof. Does this motor only work off the battery? I had it connected to camp site power but it wouldn’t lift the roof. I’m new to the RV world and greatly appreciate any info and thank you in advance.
Their has been questions like this before regarding slideouts, and in those cases you DO need a battery to operate the big electric motors.

They are 12v motors that pull A LOT of amps and your shore power converter just can't provide that kind of amperage.

Like I said, I know this is the case for some slideouts, and I'm assuming that it's true for your roof lift motor.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

Well only 12 volts but when shore power is available the converter converts 110v to 12v to charge the batteries. You still need a good battery.
Soft 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #4

So I found THIS spec sheet.

When plugged into 110v, your converter only provide 35 amps of 12v power. Your roof lift motor pulls around 20 amps according to Lippert.

It SHOULD lift it, but there may be safety mechanism. Have you checked your fuses?
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

I had a 30amp fuse blown but replaced and still wouldn’t go up.
RockwoodHW956Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #6

I believe it runs off battery only. For shore power to make a difference, it would need time to put a charge to the battery.

Sometimes when I visit my pop up in storage, I have to put jumper cables from TV to trailer battery to lift the roof
Bushfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, power, roo, roof