Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

Power lift motor

I have a 2015 Rockwood 1940 Ltd with the power lift on it. The motor works going up but rarely works going down. When I hit the switch to go down you can see the gear make about a turn or two but then it stops. Once in a while if you keep trying to flip the switch the motor will work and take the roof down. I have reversed the wires on the switch to see if it works and it’s not the switch. I had someone from where I bought it take the little relay board off an old motor and i installed it, it didn’t help out. I thought it might be the part that restricts the travel distance. So I jumpered around it from the switch and still didn’t work.

I’m down to just the motor I think. Does anyone have any other thought on what it could be or what I could try to troubleshoot the problem.

Any idea what the motor replace part would cost?
wmtasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. It might be that going up with the torque on the system it stays in alignment but down with the force in the opposite direction things bind up I would check the operating gears for alignment going down and look for movement of the motor shaft. Just a guess on my part I don't have a rig like this.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
54 Years, 13 RV's

Try applying 12V directly to the motor from the battery. This will eliminate all other electrical components as the problem. I'm assuming that the battery is reasonably new and well charged.

If it still works poorly, you either have a motor going bad, or a lift system that is in need of lubrication and service.

I'm not familiar with your unit or lift system, but most are generally similar. The lift system will have cables, pulleys and some kind of slide contact areas that may be worn out, or in need of lubrication.

The motor should have an Amp rating on it. You can check the amp draw of the motor with an ammeter and see if it is drawing too much current.

It's either the motor, or what the motor is trying to accomplish, or both, that is your culprit.

Frequently un-maintained drive systems, or moisture, will cause the motor to wear out prematurely.

I'm not being condescending here, but if what I'm sayin here isn't clear, you may want to step up to the plate and have a professional look at it.

Let us know what you find.

John
Old 09-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
54 Years, 13 RV's

I just re-read your post and missed the part where you said it works going up, but not down. Sorry. Ignore most of what I said.

Assuming that you by-pass all components and apply 12V to the motor and it still doesn't work, you probably have a bi-directional motor and the down portion is going bad.

It's also possible that there is a "binding" in the lift system going down, causing the motor to drag.

John
Old 09-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

So I have had the camper for 3 seasons and I bought it new in 2016. The problem stated last year and I have never lubed or done any maintenance to the lift system. The battery is in good shape and the motor works great to go up just not down. I will look and see about everything you both have recommended over the next few days and get back here. I’m wanting to put it up for sale and need it to be right for the next person.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
54 Years, 13 RV's

Lift system maintainance can't be over-done! It will keep the operator (you or a motor) MUCH happier, and less "cranky" yuck yuck yuck!
Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #7

If you bought it new isnt the lifter motor still under warranty?
Soft 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft 17 View Post
If you bought it new isnt the lifter motor still under warranty?

I was under the impression that it was part of the 1 year warranty. Sounds like I should contact Forest River.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtasker View Post
I was under the impression that it was part of the 1 year warranty. Sounds like I should contact Forest River.
It's a 2015. FR barely covers stuff for 1 year, let alone 3 years.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

There should be grease fittings somewhere on the tubes for the roof cables. Since you have had the popup for 3 seasons and not lubed the cables the grease is drying out and getting stiff. Gravity helps lower the roof and the old grease is binding the cables. You may have to crawl under the trailer and look the tubes over.

My second popup had a crank to raise and lower the roof, the grease zerks were under the trailer, one on each of the 4 lift tubes. Even when it was new the roof wouldn't always come down straight and I would just shake it a little and it would straighten out.

Just be glad your popup isn't one of those you lift the roof by hand like my first one was.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #11

Last page says limited lifetime warranty on lifter system.

"1. Five-year roof warranty (Excludes Hardsides), 2. Twenty-five-year floor warranty, 3. Five-year frame warranty, 4. Five-year
tent warranty, 5. Ten-year warranty on torsion axle suspension, 6. Limited lifetime warranty of lifter system (Excludes
Hardsides)."

http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...ntBrochure.pdf
Old 09-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #12

Actually a decent warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180917_145813851.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	186804  
Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #13
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft 17 View Post
Actually a decent warranty.
WOW. Don't have that on anything else. Still....... good luck.

Tags
lift, power