Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Power lift toggle switch

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 2008 flagstaff 228. I have the power lift system, but the toggle switch is very sticky. When I move the toggle switch to up or down, the switch stays in that position. It doesn't "spring" back to OFF. Is this switch a special flagstaff switch or just a regular DPDT toggle switch?
am-radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum!

Any like switch will work.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
daydreaming about camping

On the 27SC we owned, the power lift toggle had a spring and returned to center. It was very much just a DPDT switch. You can find a replacement at most good old fashioned hardware stores, or a Grainger is you have one close by.

I would remove the old one first, it should be the tab terminal style and they could match it for you easily.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

dont forget any auto parts store !
napa oreilleys car quest
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. Looks like a DPDT when I took it out. Will change it out when I find one. Have most of those places near me.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by am-radio View Post
Hi, I'm new here. I have a 2008 flagstaff 228. I have the power lift system, but the toggle switch is very sticky. When I move the toggle switch to up or down, the switch stays in that position. It doesn't "spring" back to OFF. Is this switch a special flagstaff switch or just a regular DPDT toggle switch?
Before buying a new switch, have you considered shooting a shot of tuner cleaner into the switch - sometimes that will loosen a sticky switch up.

Radio Shack should have it.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #7

speaking of toggle switches, has anyone seem a lighted toggle switch that stays on all the time. I see the ones where they are lighted in the on position but not the off position.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999
speaking of toggle switches, has anyone seem a lighted toggle switch that stays on all the time. I see the ones where they are lighted in the on position but not the off position.
Never have seen like that but would be easy to remove switch and jump hot contacts of switch to lamp or led with solder and bell wire.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #9

Ok, back on subject in question!
You need to bite the bullet and spend $6-9(at most) and buy a new switch.
TAKE NOTE~~~ Spring return to OFF.
Momentary UP or Momentary Down. Releasing switch turns everything OFF.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Owner/Operator

Also, the original switch might have cross jumpers to reverse the polarity of the output. You can duplicate this with wire, or you can go to most RV Parts stores and purchase a switch with the cross jumpers (usually for 5th wheel landing gear).

If this is a switch for a motor, the current rating of the contacts will also be an issue.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #11

Thanks everyone. I can't believe the amount of replies and the speed and quality of information you've all posted. The toggle switch is for the power lift on my tent trailer. I know I need a momentary on/off/on switch, I just have to find out what rating of voltage and amps will work. Hoping once I pull the toggle switch out again it will have some information on it.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #12

The switch for the electric roof lift is a 40amp, oem replacement should be able to be ordered from your specific manufacturer.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #13

FYI, it's not a 40 amp, it's a 20 amp. I just took the old one out and it's marked on the side.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #14

I found a switch at the local parts store. So much nicer. Works like its suppose to. The old one was actually shorting out at times. Thanks for all the help.