Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #1

Power lift wiring / electrical problem

As I state in another thread, my lift has struggled since I purchased it in February. On our first outing this weekend the roof only lifted about 75%. When we returned from our trip, it wouldn't lift at all.

I replaced the battery, still no luck.

But I noticed based on the way it was acting that it seemed like the switch might be the issue. So I took the cover off and "jiggled" the switch wires, and it worked! But intermittently. And it was sparking.

I noticed that one of the terminals connected to the battery was missing tape and now it only works when that exposed terminal touches metal. See video below.

WP 20140506 17 21 00 Pro1 - YouTube

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iBkr8AaU2vs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- Airlift 1000 air bags
- Curt Class III receiver (13364)
- Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Brake Control
dakranii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Which terminal connected to the battery was missing tape; positive or negative?

Maybe this will help...

Wicked Winch - Lift System Troubleshooting for Flagstaff Camping Trailers | Roberts Sales

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Which terminal connected to the battery was missing tape; positive or negative?

Maybe this will help...

Wicked Winch - Lift System Troubleshooting for Flagstaff Camping Trailers | Roberts Sales
That does help, thank you. It at least gave me courage to get in and get a closer look at the problem.

The terminal is one end of the 50 amp fuse, so both black and red wires from the battery are there. Using the trouble shooting on the linked page, I'm on the fuse being blown step. So I might just head to the store to get one and see what happens.

What's weird is why touching the fuse terminal to the gear makes it work...I tried touching the fuse terminal to the frame and it didn't do anything. I wonder what's so magical about the gear that makes it work.
- Airlift 1000 air bags
Old 05-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #4

Bought a new fuse for $7 and it worked! In fact, it works better than it ever has for me. Very happy.
- Airlift 1000 air bags
Old 05-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #5

I have a M-190XR with the roof lift system and had to grease and lube everything to keep it from tripping the thermal switch. I was going to replace the winch with an ATV winch, but decided against it after a couple of lift cycles.

What type of fuse and where did you buy it. I would like to throw one in my spares kit.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #6

The fuse was a MIDI Fuse that I got from NAPA. I had a 50 amp, but apparently my winch also uses a 60 amp (later models?). NAPA seemed to be the only local place that carried it. I tried a few truck stops, AutoZone, Menards.

If there are no NAPAs near you, you can grab it from Amazon too. But ensure that this is the fuse you actually need. Mine was wrapped up in electrical tape. The one that was on the winch was opaque, as opposed to the one pictured above with a transparent cover to see if the fuse is busted.

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 50A AMI/MIDI Fuse: Sports & Outdoors
- Airlift 1000 air bags
Old 05-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Paul

I replaced my MIDI fuse with an inline fuse holder so I can just pull the fuse out and replace it without having to use tools to remove the bolts and nuts that was on the MIDI fuse. I did use the same gauge wire when I spliced the fuse holder to the winch wire.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmpdnorth View Post
I replaced my MIDI fuse with an inline fuse holder so I can just pull the fuse out and replace it without having to use tools to remove the bolts and nuts that was on the MIDI fuse. I did use the same gauge wire when I spliced the fuse holder to the winch wire.
That's a good idea, I'll keep that in mind should the new fuse blow. Does any old fuse work? Or do you need certain fuses for certain things? I don't know anything about them.
- Airlift 1000 air bags
Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
Paul

I went to auto zone and told then what gauge wire I had on the motor and the fuse holder that had that gauge was a large fuse holder. If you look you should find a large 50 amp fuse that fits the holder. It's like the small plug in fuse for a car but much bigger. I didn't know they even made the big fuses. I bought a couple of extra fuses to keep in my tow vehicle. So far I haven't had any problem with the new fuse. My lift system seems like it's working harder than I think it should so about half way up I'll stop lifting it for about a minute and then finish raising it. This is the first pop up camper I've owned. It sounds better after I put a lot of grease on the motor sprocket. My pop up is a used 2008 Rockwood Freedom 2318G.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #10

The blade ATC type fuse over 40 amps is called a Maxi-Fuse. I know on my H3 there is a large one (about 80 amps) inline with the brake booster. I wonder why FR went with a MIDI type fuse vs. a Maxi-fuse.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, power, wiring