Old 08-01-2016, 01:56 AM   #1

Power winch stops and starts

We took our first trip over the Canadian Rockies this past week with our 2009 Rockwood 2270 and managed the tow up the hills with no issues at all. The problem came when we arrived at our first campsite. I plugged into shore and went to raise the roof. The winch worked for the first 24" and then stopped. At first I thought the 50 amp fuse blew (again) and I went and grabbed my bag of fuses. Before I took apart the winch cover I tried the switch one more time and the roof went up another 18-24" and then would stop again. After a short while I would hear a couples clicks and then I was able to raise the roof another 24" and so on until the roof was completely raised.

This happened at the 3 campsites we stayed at and I figured the land yachts around me were sucking all the campsite power, but once home the same thing happened when we were plugged in. This has never occurred in the 4 summers we have had the trailer. Any suggestions as to what the issue is? Is the motor shot, is the battery done?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 08-01-2016, 03:02 AM   #2

What kind of readings are you getting from the battery? Resting voltage, charging voltage?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:45 AM   #3

I had same issue one time, clean and tighten all contacts under winch cover (believe there is 8 of them).
Old 08-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #4

You have a fuse? My powerwinch had a auto circuit breaker at the positive battery post.
And with the stopping and clicking, it sounds like a circuit breaker popping open, then after cooling down, pooping closed to allow the roof to open.
A fuse does not do that.
But even if it is a breaker, the question is why it pops.

I would wonder, since it is a used trailer, has the cable track been greased every year, have the lift springs been lubricated? If not, there could cause some restrictions in the cable tracks and spring conduit.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
FF,Retired.

winch

I would say you have a problem with your battery.
The winch works off the battery.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
FF,Retired.

winch

I would say you have a problem with your battery.
The winch works off the battery.
After the first try the battery recharges some and then works a bit more and so on.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #7

we had that happen with our 2010 hw277, it was about five years old when we had the issue....it would raise the roof up a bit, stop, hear the click and could raise it up a bit more etc etc until at full height. it was not the battery, it was the winch motor going bad.
Carefree has since changed the motor they use and they don't make that particular winch motor anymore, the new one is a different style and unfortunately a whole lot noisier. took some getting used to.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggles View Post
... The winch worked for the first 24" and then stopped. At first I thought the 50 amp fuse blew (again) and I went and grabbed my bag of fuses. Before I took apart the winch cover I tried the switch one more time and the roof went up another 18-24" and then would stop again... This happened at the 3 campsites ... but once home the same thing happened when we were plugged in .. 4 summers ... Is the motor shot, is the battery done?
4 Summers, wow! Time for professional help? I can't imagine a shot motor still trudging on like this for four years. Sounds like a fault caused by a weak auto-reset breaker; wiring too light (gauge wise) for the amps the winch motor is demanding; or a winch motor lifting more than it was designed to lift (weight wise). Mentioning fuses, I assume it is blowing each time and your replacing same gets it to work for a few more feet or inches? Interesting problem.
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #9

Thanks for the responses everyone

My unit has the breaker inline with the battery and a 50 amp fuse tucked up in the motor assembly. I found that fuse the hard way when one of the roof latches bounced back up after unlatching and caught on the roof. I didn't realize this and when I tried to lift the roof the motor blew the fuse. That was fun manually raising the roof.

This issue is new and not happening for 4 summers now, although, if I was to buy a tent trailer again I would get a manual lift as lifting the roof is something a little too important to rely on the battery or motor.

The trailer was bought used from the original dealer and they greased and lubed everything. I have to admit that I haven't been greasing the cables every year, I did use a dry lube on the supports and those work fine

I'll test the battery for voltage drop and take a look at the breakers etc, and report the findings. The trailer is tucked away nicely in the garage and pulling it out to check these items is not my kids idea of a fun summer break!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #10

Many on this forum have replaced their power winch with a manual. Not expensive fairly easy to do, and I'm one of those. Got tired of the problems with the power winch.
I would bypass the circuit breaker and see if it works. If so, get a new circuit breaker.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power