Old 04-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #1

Power Winch works backwards now

My fuse on my power roof wrench went out while my daughter and son-in-law were camping. They lower the roof manually to get it home. I replaced the fuse and now moving the switch to the up position actually lowers the roof and down raises it. The only thing I can think of is they may have cranked the manual crank backwards causing the cable to roll the wrong way. Is this possible? What future problems could this cause if I just remember up is actually down? I don't want the cable to bind and break or the roof to fall because it being wound the wrong way. If that the issue and that is a problem what is the best way to correct the situation? Thanks for any help...

Old 04-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

They could have done that. Have you talked to them?

It might be best to flip over the switch mount so that it is at least intuitive again.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #3

Can't see how the cable could be reversed on the drum...but I'm no expert. I have hand cranked (via drill) and there was no way to do it incorrectly. You could turn the nut in only one direction, and since the winch assembly has upper and lower limit switches, it should not be at the end of the cable in either position; up/down.

Could they have removed the cover, only a couple bolts hold it in place, and somehow spun the switch around or just spun the switch while trying it?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #4

sounds like its hooked up wrong polarity
reversing leads on motor should fixit
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #5

Good point. Could also be connected incorrectly at the battery....is the breaker on the positive cable?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 04-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #6

Thanks and here's more info

I looked at a new camper with a power wrench and it fed from the bottom of the spool and mine now feeds from the top I don't know how it originally fed. The stops are controlled by solenoids aren't they? If so in the manual mode would they function. I've gone back to the shop that replaced the fuse and they don't think it could happen but insure me that they didn't reverse the switch or mess with any other wiring. It appears that the cable is wound backwards and I don't know the best way to get it back to feeding from the bottom of the spool. It appears to be slightly rubbing on the top of the frame by feeding from the top. I know now when I lower it the low stop is not working and I can continue lowering it past the full down and the cable will have slack in it. I have not tried to so further than 4 or 5 inches of slack not knowing if I would cause real problems. Not really knowing that much about the wrenches operation I'm just guessing and looking for someone with greater knowledge than I have.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #7

DC motors run backward when polarity is switched.
74 nights camped in 2016, 121 nights camped in 2015
Cmccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
2016 Avenger 26BH

how is the line attached to spool/drum? Is the line is attached to main roll of the drum or on the side of the drum? either way, if the line is in fact spooling backwards then the line could be folded back on itself at the point is starts to spool on the drum. A line should never fold backwards to start spooling onto the drum so that could be an indicator that it is loading onto the drum incorrectly. just my 2 cents
Old 04-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

I would temporarily switch the leads on the motor, extend the cable, switch the leads back and rewind the cable properly.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would temporarily switch the leads on the motor, extend the cable, switch the leads back and rewind the cable properly.
That sounds too logical....

Tags
power