Old 05-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Propane furnace

So we made our first outing of the year with our pup and were very excited for another season despite the forecasted cool wet weather. As it was so cold we had to run the furnace and it was all fine and good the first evening, night, and morning. However the afternoon of the second day it started to make unusual noises.
As the fan was running it would change tone almost like it was under increasing load, only for a few seconds, then back to its original running noise. It would do this four or five times a minute. I turned off all other power draws and swapped the battery for a freshly charged one. No improvement.
Anyone experience this before or have any ideas?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #2

Can't help with the furnace noise, but suggest you look at doing the Reflectix mod in your tent end windows if you haven't already done so. Helps when using both the furnace and AC.Click image for larger version

Name:	GizmoBungies.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	52721

Old 05-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #3

Did the reflectix and agree it is an amazing difference. Furnace cycles many fewer times.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettawaydriver View Post
So we made our first outing of the year with our pup and were very excited for another season despite the forecasted cool wet weather. As it was so cold we had to run the furnace and it was all fine and good the first evening, night, and morning. However the afternoon of the second day it started to make unusual noises.
As the fan was running it would change tone almost like it was under increasing load, only for a few seconds, then back to its original running noise. It would do this four or five times a minute. I turned off all other power draws and swapped the battery for a freshly charged one. No improvement.
Anyone experience this before or have any ideas?
My guess is the "rotor" containing the vent fan and combustion air fan is running too far down stream and rubbing. When it rubs it slows down and the forces causing it to go down stream are lessened therefore runs in the middle again. A repeating problem without a self cure. Best thing is get it changed out, the entire furnace, or if you're handy take it apart and repair the cause of the shaft looseness. Believe Suburban has a two year warranty on the heater, don't let it go.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
Take The Road Less Travld

I agree with Vince, it may also be that the fan barring is going out. Computer fans make this same notice that you describe when the barring begins to fail. It kind of a rubbing or even a vibrating noise. You might just need to replace the fan.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #6

Hmmm, not really what I wanted to hear ($$$). But thanks all the same I appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #7

I found the tech manual online with an idiot proof flow chart of the furnace operations. The problem was the motor according to the manual. Found one on e-bay for <$100 with shipping and installed it. Now furnace works again. Just in time for warm weather camping. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1403196127.430017.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	738.4 KB
ID:	55760
Old 06-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettawaydriver View Post
I found the tech manual online with an idiot proof flow chart of the furnace operations. The problem was the motor according to the manual. Found one on e-bay for <$100 with shipping and installed it. Now furnace works again. Just in time for warm weather camping. Attachment 55760
Good deal, saved yourself 2 weeks of "shop work"

Tags
furnace, propane