Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

propane heater rockwood hw276 runs 1 cycle and then shuts down

I have a 2008 rockwood hw and my heater shuts down after it has reached the desired temperature "1 cycle" and doesn't turn back on when it drops below desired temperature. I can turn the the thermostat up and it will start back up, if that doesn't work than i have to turn it off and on again. As far as i can tell everything works as it should, the fan runs for about a minute or so before the heat comes on and then when it reaches it set temperature the flame goes out and runs for an extra two minutes. I replaced the thermostat and cleaned the heater but still having the same issue. Could it be a bad limit switch or sail switch?
rstutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #2

Did you replace the thermostat with the same one? My first time out mine wouldn’t come on. A few beers later I found the face pops of and there are some adjustments underneath the face.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

The sail switch tells the furnace controls to open the gas valve, if it was bad the furnace would not fire. But with your trailer being a 2008 it probably could use some cleaning. The only thing that is common with all furnaces is the burner. Make sure the flue, orifice, and thermocouple are clean. Use a small wire brush to clean the items mentioned. Be careful you don't use too much force and bend something. Not knowing the make and model of the furnace it is hard to tell you how to proceed with cleaning the insides of the furnace where the fan, sail, and sail switch are located.

Do a search for "how to clean Atwood rv furnace" or "how to clean a Suburban rv furnace" and you will find many technical and not so technical links.

Here are the service manuals for both Atwood and Suburban furnaces to help you get started.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Atwood_hflameservice.pdf (3.87 MB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf Suburban Furnace Service Manual.pdf (4.92 MB, 37 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, i did fix the issue after taking the furnace out. The top half of the fin on the sail switch was bent about 45 degrees back. I straighten the fin out and also clean out an old mud dauber nest that was located in the casing of the back part of the fan.
rstutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, propane, rockwood