Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Propane issue

Recently purchased a Flagstaff 2006 tent camper. Propane tanks were partially full so before heading out last week, I had them filled. Hooked them up and hit the road. At the campsite, there was a distinct odor and hissing sound from the tanks. We turned them on and off a couple of times. Problem seemed solved. However, later in the day, I again noticed the odor. Had hooked up fridge to propane. Used stovetop. All seemed to be going well except that the propane was totally gone within 3 days. The only constant use was the fridge. Stovetop was for one pot of coffee. We were in Moab and the temps were fairly warm, 70's. Still, that seems like a lot of propane to run the fridge. Had hooked up fridge to electric at house before we left for a couple of days to get cool. Ran it on 12 volt while driving for 5 hours to Moab. Truck was hooked to camper without running for about 1/2 hour. When I went to start truck, battery had run down. Fortunately had another party on this trip so was able to chaage up truck battery. The trailer battery is about 3 years old. It appeared to be chargeing during trip back home. However, when I set up trailer to unpack, the battery was too low to run lights i nside. No use of the furnace or bbq. Is this a regulator issue or propane tank issue? Or, is it a fridge issue? Any ideas?
Thanks!
Remark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

It sounds like a propane issue.

I would shut off the propane valve and spray soapy water around the tank welds and the hole at the top where the valve is located. If there is no leak at the tank, open the valve and spray soapy water on the regulator and work your way down the lines.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Professional Curmudgeon

Propane issue causing the quickly emptied tanks. Battery issue causing the truck battery to run down. I bet your TV is a GM, isn't it?
When under tow, my refrigerator runs on propane. I rarely use the stove, but occasionally use the heater. One 20# cylinder of propane lasts about a year.
I'd suspect your valve is not properly attached to the propane cylinder. I also suspect your propane splinter is rather old, as all newer cylinders have an automatic shutoff incorporated in the cylinder valve to shut off in the event of a leak such as you describe. If they are old, I'd suggest simply trading them in for new full ones, install, then start checking for leaks.
Take your battery in for a load test.
While camping, disconnect the camper from your truck to avoid drawing current from your truck battery.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #4

Yes the TV is a GMC. Battery is about 3 years old. Should I replace? Will look into propane splinter.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #5

Curious, what does GM have to do with a drain on the battery? I have a GM, and many times have left the truck connected to the trailer with the fridge running for 30-45 minutes and no problem. Sounds to me just like a bad battery that can happen.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #6

I was curious about the GM as a TV being a problem with battery drain. I will be replacing the trailer battery. However, worry that if I park & leave for a half hour will the TV battery be dead. May not always be traveling with a second vehicle to jump my TV. Any suggestions as to replacement battery?
Old 04-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Propane issue

My 08 Silverado disconnects power to plug when vehicle is off.

However if you turned truck off but left the key on ...........

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
Professional Curmudgeon

Sorry it has taken so long to get back on this.
I wasn't implying the battery in the TV is bad, but many GM's do not disconnect the battery power to the TT connector when the key is turned off. This means that if your TT has a bad battery or the TT battery simply runs down, it will draw power from your TV until it will no longer start. To avoid this, simply disconnect the TT power cord from the truck when the rig is sitting for any length of time. It is normal to disconnect the TV from the TT whenever camp is set, anyway.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remark777 View Post
Yes the TV is a GMC. Battery is about 3 years old. Should I replace? Will look into propane splinter.
See above, but no, not recommending replacing the truck battery, just the camper battery that you said was bad. I have no idea why autocorrect put the word "splinter" in my post. I was trying to say that the valve on the propane cylinder is supposed to have a safety cutoff inside that will shut down the flow of propane if there is a leak. It will also shut down the flow if you open the valve too quickly.
Sorry for any confusion.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #10

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I need to get in habit of disconnecting electric to trailer when stopped for a long stretch. Also do believe new battery on TT will fix much of this issue. Do you need a certain type of battery to use with solar panels?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remark777 View Post
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I need to get in habit of disconnecting electric to trailer when stopped for a long stretch. Also do believe new battery on TT will fix much of this issue. Do you need a certain type of battery to use with solar panels?
With your truck off, take a volt meter and probe your connection on the truck to see if you have power there all the time. Then you will know if you 'have to' un plug the trailer if stopped for any length of time. If there is 'no' power with the truck off, now turn it on and probe the plug, and see if you now have power.

Is your Alternator on your truck putting out the correct voltage to charge your battery, camper stuff, and camper battery, etc. (13.5 v +)

With your truck running and your camper plugged into it, check the out put to the battery. Is it charge above 12 v?

Have both the truck and camper battery's charged up by a battery charger and then take them to a Auto Zone/ O'Reilly and have each 'load tested'.

As for your propane leak, look for a cross threaded connection (had one on mine). The installers are in a hurry and will slam them together and not 'check for leaks'.

imo, don't use your propane until you find the leak.....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #12

Propane issue

Thanks for the info on testing out battery load. Will give that a try, though still need believe a new battery for TT will help this issue. As for the propane, my propane guys are coming out Monday to fill my residential tank. They are going to check out the propane connection and tanks on the trailer for me. While they may still send me off to an rv store (nearest one is about 70 miles away) they may well be able to fix this issue.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Sorry it has taken so long to get back on this.
I wasn't implying the battery in the TV is bad, but many GM's do not disconnect the battery power to the TT connector when the key is turned off. This means that if your TT has a bad battery or the TT battery simply runs down, it will draw power from your TV until it will no longer start. To avoid this, simply disconnect the TT power cord from the truck when the rig is sitting for any length of time. It is normal to disconnect the TV from the TT whenever camp is set, anyway.
Ok. I understand. Mine does stay hot at all times.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane